PC Tools Firewall Windows 7 64 bit DNS issues

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by halcyon, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Word of warning of current issue of PC Tools Firewall 6.0.0.69 under Windows 7 64-bit.

It sporadically kills DNS requests from applications that have been granted full outbound/inbound access, including all browsers.

This is very hard to debug and to determine the exact situation, but disabling the firewall completely removes this issue on my machine.

The issue is also not about the rules themselves that I can think of (default / all accepted / re-install - makes no difference).

Oddly enough, when DNS requests get denied from browsers (all browsers), then commandline dnslookup functions perfectly without any delay or issues.

Due to this issue and the difficulty of exactly pinpointing the cause and finding a workaround, I am uninstalling PC Tools Firewall 6 from my system for now.

Just FYI, in case you are running Win7 / 64bit.

2. entropism

entropism Registered Member

Had the same issue, hoping they clear it up ASAP, as I liked the FW otherwise.

3. cqpreson

cqpreson Registered Member

My friend who used PCT didn't have this issue.having a try to stop DNS Client Service in your computer.IE can send the DNS request to DNS.Or having a try to authorize your browser to connect port 53 with your DNS.

4. entropism

entropism Registered Member

anyone find a fix for this yet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.