PC Tools Firewall- some Qs

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aigle, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, Regarding PC Tools FireWall, I want ur opinion on these issues.

1- Is it rebranded LooknStop? If so latest version or not? And if no, what is the origin of it?
    2- Any reasons PC tools giving it free? Advertisement or beta testing type thing?
    3- Out of PC Tools FireWall and SunBelt Kerio which one should be a better choice and why?

Thanks

2. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

I do remember reading on their forum that it was based on a license from Look 'n Stop. I don't have any other info on it.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello

1. Yes. Look at this thread's post #21

2. Doesn't have any application control, but your assumption is also correct, I suppose

3. IF you use additional HIPS, PCTools

Regards

4. yaggy

yaggy Registered Member

The PC tools firewall DOES have App control albeit just basic allow / dont allow but its there none the less

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Sorry, my bad, tried it when it first came out, a while. I thought I meant application NETWORK ACCESS FILTERING. My apologies again. So, I am changing the abbreviation HIPS in my third statement to NIPS. :D

Cheers

EDIT: It was certainly not my intention to qualify PCTools as a simple packet filter.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2007
  6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.
    Will look forward to some current user,s comments though.

7. cet

cet Registered Member

After getting some BSOD's from the comodo firewall , I installed PC tools firewall.I had used the first release and did not like it.But this second version it is better.It keeps getting better.If they make it paid after some time,I still can use the latest free version.
    After uninstalling the comodo firewall my PC began to run smoothly, just like in the old days.(explorer.exe dropped from 58.000to 24.000) .Since I have got NAT router, hardware firewall I do not want to be obsessed about the firewalls.I also use SSM free.
    It is running smoothly,I use it with antivir premium edition no problems.RAM usage is firewallGUI.exe 6144 and firewall service 6000.Now it runs as a service.It is frequently updated about the comments of the forum.No problems so far.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Is it Ok for beginners like Comodo?

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

:oops: Question how do you update? I click smartupdate it comes up but nothing happens. What is the latest update version number? are they running backwards? :oops: :doubt: . Sorry to ask such stupid questions. I seem to be not understanding things recently. I think my brain needs a rest. :(

10. waters

waters Registered Member

latest update needs to be installed,download new version from their website.I keep trying others but this one is best for me,like having new computor after useng comodo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.