PC Tools Firewall says I was attacked

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mercurie, Feb 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Recently I have had problems with my wireless connected family PC when using ZA 4.5.594 Pro. I just thought it was a conflict or loss of connection any number of typical low or no threat stuff. It got worse so I moved on to try PC Tools Firewall. I needed a firewall that told me more about what was happening without me trying to figure it out anyway.

ZA True vector kept going nonresponsive while attempting to find a new IP address or network o_O . This was causing constant reboots and even then problems many times.

Upon loading PC Tools Firewall the very first entry under Filtering Rules was Block LAND denial of service attack with a description of: PC attempting to connect to itself causing it to stop responding and constant rebooting.

Problem identified to the letter I was thinking. ;)

Everything seems fine now. Is this a real attack, false alarm and am I safe now or should I still be concerned. Where was this attack likely coming from within my PC or network itself or the outside?

2. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hello mercurie,
    Land attack, yes, this is DOS.
    Was there a log entry made by that rule?

3. mercurie

Hi Stem,
    No there was nothing else by that rule other then what I posted and there are no log entries either on the logs tab. :doubt: None.

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Hi mercurie,

The "land attack" rule is set to log by default. So an entry would of been made if this "attack" was blocked.

Maybe with ZA, you had a corruption or conflict?

5. mercurie

Event Viewer when this occured read this way...

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: TrueVector Service
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5007
    Date: 2/15/2007
    Time: 9:21:38 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SID
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 5007 ) in Source ( TrueVector Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\SID.ldb" was corrupt and has been copied to "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\xDB8.tmp". File "C:\WINDOWS\Internet Logs\SID.ldb" was corrupt and has been deleted..

Don't know if that helps

Edit: Addittional information on this may have been lost due to off loading of ZA and my constant use of CCleaner. Unsure.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The *.ldb file should be recreated if removed, on a re-boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.