PC Tools Firewall Plus vs Windows 7 Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JerryM, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

A month or so ago, I ran Avira Premium along with PC Tools Firewall Plus. I liked the firewall, and would use it again. I am running Windows AP.

I am wondering if the W 7 firewall is comparable so that when using an AV the Windows 7 firewall would be sufficient?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

PC Tools has HIPs, Windows 7 FW does not. As far as I know the Win7 and Vista firewall is just basic inbound/outbound where as the PC Tools has alot more options.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    Jerry

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I don't understand the question. You like PCTools (obviously have your reasons) and you intend to use it. Why then a question about Windows firewall? Do you feel PCTools is not giving enough protection? Or what?
    Another thing I didn't get - what's "Windows AP"? (XP o_O )
    If you expand on your initial post, you may get more responses.

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Windows 7 Firewall, is great and super light. Do any port test on the internet and you see all ports will be perfectly stealthed. Next to that, Windows Firewall has unlike some said loads of options, open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

Seriously, firewalls are overrated, you won't be more safe with PC tools firewall than with Windows 7 firewall. As long you safely surf you will never get infected no matter what your security setup is.

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I am using KIS with XP. I am asking the question for my daughter who is using Windows 7 and that firewall with Avira Premium. AP was a product of my poor typing.

Regards,
    Jerry

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Some constructive discussion you two lead here. Unfortunately, "load of options" is not a measure for software quality.

For a moment I thought it was some new abbr. I haven't heard of lol. Thanks for clarifying.

If you are in a position to administer the PC, LUA is the way to go. You certainly don't want your daughter answering HIPS prompts (I am assuming her low level of expertise). In this case, Windows firewall is ideal. It is a superior packet filter (to PCTools), designed with user-friendliness in mind (no prompts). You can also create outbound rules for apps she uses, then lock it all down. That with a decent AV (MSE gives even more user-candiness than Avira) is a nice strong package. Another on-demand for scheduled weekly scans as a cherry on top. With this setup, you will rarely administer anything.

EDIT:

Don't go there. I could not agree less.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  8. whitedragon551

Im glad your opinion doesnt matter.

Heres PC Tools feature page for the other people who cant use google.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

Unlike Windows firewall which is only inbound/outbound protection PC Tools has HIPs if you desire as well as black and whitelisting.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

This is just an advertisement, it's meant to promote. A list of "options" means nothing, it is the implementation that matters (not my opinion of course).

10. whitedragon551

Well clearly PCTools FW implementation isnt lacking considering the 100% score at Matousec.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Take a look at this thread and tell me what do you think about that.

12. whitedragon551

IDK Ive never used HIPs and thats why I use PrivateFirewall. I switched from PCTools for other reasons.

But that test doesnt seem very controlled. Just randomly renaming files, not changing author properties or digital signatures, etc. I dont think it really has any value, but then again Im not a firewall expert and I dont really care as long as it works.

13. Seer

Seer Registered Member

That test has nothing to do with firewall expertise. It is a simple test to see if PCTools is checking a file hash (a HIPS test).

Oh well.
    OK.
    Gotta go now.

Cheers,

14. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

PC Tools firewall is a light Easily controlled firewall. The HIPS works fine but some people prefer to disable it & use it as firewall only. It seems to still be based on the Look n Stop firewall from which it is descended. I have used it ocasionally but it has always sooner or later started to freeze & I would lose patience & uninstall it. the windows firewall seems to be fine but I cannot vouch that it will or will not protect a computer. If you are behind a router then a firewall may not matter. The TEST so often referred to did put PCT firewall at number 1 ahead of anyone else including Pay Firewalls. No one uses these tests on normal computers besides a few people in these forums so the only question is whether PCT FW works & doesn't lock up computers etc. MY latest experiment with a new install of this firewall now seems to be working fine' so far so good.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thaks, All for the help and info.
    Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.