PC Tools Firewall Plus is retiring!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kerykeion, Aug 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Wow. I can't believe my eyes.

http://www.pctools.com/firewall/

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

So I guess this is part of Symantecs plans :'(

3. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

!.! Remind me of some other similar storyboards with same protagonist.

And, if they can incinerate this good fw as easily, good lock to your fireworks my dear TreatFire...

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I cannot believe it. Is it true? Oh my God it is true...:'( :'( :'( .

Thanks.

5. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I'm not going to miss it. It was basically a placebo anyway.

6. gery

gery Registered Member

o cmon i can not believe this. so why did they have the beta few weeks ago?
    another good app killed:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

7. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

This qualifies as a "WTFo_O" moment!

They even had a beta out today!

8. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Bad decision of PC Tools for retiring free application.

9. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The power of Symantec management. :blink: :cautious:

10. Eru

Eru Registered Member

The FW will be now only in IS surely....

11. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

Yes this really stinks:thumbd: , who would want PC Tools Internet Security, when you can mix and match a much better free security combo?

Already discontinued Threatfire, So what is next to be discontinued? Spyware Doctor Starter Edition or PC Tools Free Antivirus.

PC Tools Firewall Plus was their best product and then they go and get rid of it. Spyware Doctor has been slipping for the last few years, the only other good product they have is Registry Mechanics, remind me to not re-new my license when it expires.

No more PC Tools products for me period....

Thanks.

12. henryg

henryg Registered Member

AtGuard.... Sygate.....Verisign’s Security Division and now PC Tools. Just another one for Symantec.

13. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

I feel bad for all the PC tools programmers, they had been working on v7 for a few weeks now ad Symantec cancels it. First ThreatFire starts to die now the crush Firewall. I will not be surprised if we wait a few weeks and it is announced ThreatFire can now only be used in the full version of Spyware Doctor or higher.

14. korben

korben Registered Member

it was just a matter of time

haven;t used the mogul's software in 6 or 7 years and not going to change that

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Since when is ThreatFire discontinued?

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Eh, I'm not shocked. The honchos decided to give it the old Symantec treatment. They buy up technology, incorporate it into their products and collect the cash. Google does the same thing, it's not exactly unusual. I don't feel bad for the programmers, they have a job, they're getting paid quite well and projects get abandoned sometimes, they're used to it I'm sure. The thing with releasing a Beta and then deciding to scrap it, well, big deal really. Look, a Beta is a test version, usually with not much support being it's a Beta. Therefore, no one really got "screwed", the head honchos just made their decision late in the game.

It sucks that there is one less free app out there to use, but, you should know Symantec and corporations in general by now. They're doing exactly what Google and the rest of them do, buy the competition, incorporate thecompetitions often stronger and better way of doing things into your product, take credit for your new strength in the next round of AV/AM/whatever testing by magazines and the big testing organizations, and watch profits and PR roll in.

Business as usual guys, business as usual.

17. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Sorry I fixed my post. It is not discontinued yet but I have a feeling it may follow the firewall soon :oops:

18. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

If this is true then both PC Tools and Symantec have lost my support.

Uninstalling NIS from the PCs it is on now.

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, i know they are cooking an update for ThreatFire so i don't think it's going anywhere. And i hope it remains that way. It's really the only good product to supplement antivirus programs.

20. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

very very sad news...:(

21. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I always considered their firewall as PC Tools' best product- and they have several.

22. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Why would you remove NIS because of a business decision? I understand that alot of people may be upset for their decision but thats how business works. PCtools wasn't doing well or had something attractive that symantic wanted. They could have easily said no to the sale. That shouldn't make a difference that symantic is improving itself. Many a companies have been bought and programs integrated. Look at Boclean. Seems to be working for comodo. NIS is still one of the best suites around at the moment. Maybe the folks at PCtools had something to do with that.

23. Morro

Morro Registered Member

:thumb:

Although i do not use PC Tools Firewall Plus anymore, i have used it for a very long time and in my experience it is a great free firewall. Seems to me that Symantec is slowly wipping out the ones that are good so that they come out better.

To those using Symantec software, i am not saying that their current software is bad, a friend of mine uses Norton and is extremely pleased. BUT after having read this i am holding a grudge against Norton as far as this decision is concerned. :p

I use Comodo firewall for a while now and so far like it, but PC Tools Firewall Plus is the one i fall back to if i do not like a new Firewall that i used for a while for what ever reason.

24. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Yes but PC Tools firewall was cooking up the v7 version they even released a new beta yesterday night. I would not be 100% sure the new TF will make it out of beta.

25. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

The only good news about this is that PCTFW never got to be as good as Sygate before Symantec dumped it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.