PC Tools Firewall 6 beats Comodo at Matousec

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aegreen, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipo

tipo Registered Member

comodo firewall pro is free, dude! Firewall PRO not IS PRO!

2. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Well freezes could be with legacy software that's not support anymore. The OS kernel if updated shouldn't be the issue with freezing on certain systems. I just notice thus using the latest PCTFWP its doing the same issue that was in 4 and 5 and not in 3.

Comodo IS after running it again using the latest version 3.12x it's blocking access to media server on server or it just won't load on the network media player UI. It's unable to find available servers. That's not the only issue I also run caller ID server then the clients have the receivers for it that system just won't work with Comodo IS first loaded it works then after a few days no go. I also notice that Remote Desktop works then doesn't work. If I remove Comodo everything works. Loaded Online Armor and everything works! Then Comodo AV shows that msconfig.exe has a trojan where Avira PE and Rising AV reports it clean. I also ran Norman Malware Cleaner and it didn't find that file to be an issue. Rising PC Doctor suppose to find trojans didn't report a threat.

For those who can get Comodo Free IS to run without issue great. Maybe in version 4 it will be more like stable. PC Tools FWP is tighter but still some software freezes still appearing.

3. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

I've been running PC Tools firewall about a month now (XP sp3). No freezes, or other issues here. Of all the current gen firewalls I've tried, this latest incarnation of PC tools firewall has the least slowdown on my system. I have not run into any compatibility or stability problems. Though I have with the other current gen firewalls, and earlier versions of PC tools firewall.
    It has excellent logging as well.

Two thumbs up :thumb: :thumb:
    This is my favorite firewall since Sygate.

4. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

I had problems with earlier versions when ESV (enhanced security verification) was turned on. None at all with this new version.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

For two or three years I have been using suites, but decided to try an AV (Avira Premium) and a firewall. I had a license for LnS and had liked it. However, it causes me to loose my WiFi connection every few minutes. I realize that this can be fixed, but I could not figure out how to do it. The Q&A on the LnS site were not clear enough for me.

So tonight I installed PC Tools Firewall Plus, and so far it is running well with my other applications.
    I am glad I saw this thread or I would not have tried PC Tools firewall.

I almost installed kerio 2.1.5, but decided on PC Tools.

I am not knowledgeable in computers or firewalls. I need applications that I can install and forget. So far PCT seems to be such.

Regards,
    Jerry

6. tipstir

What FW/SRP integrated in the OS is better, still if you have to have extra FW that's up to you.

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

Wind of Change
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/results.php

8. SammyJack

SammyJack Registered Member

Right,number one in the same test the Comodo Faithful dismissed as meaningless when they were not on top.

9. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I really cant believe how many people live and die by this test. :cautious: It just amazes me.

10. smage

smage Registered Member

Me too. Some even change products each time the results are out.
    Good work by Comodo though.

11. lws

lws Registered Member

Yeah, am currently in PC tools firewall plus....looks like I have to switch back to Comodo now:D :argh: Just kidding.

12. tipstir

Neither for me .. Testing is fun but not when it leads to issues..

13. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

from my view - matousec offers some hints which firewall can be good
    and have more complete security - if some know what the specific fw offers.
    at least i tried several - from Kaspersky, LnS, Comodo, Online Armor, Outpost,
    Jetico2, Avira, Eset (ESS), Mamutu (which is not really a Firewall), ThreatFire (same),
    DefenseWallHIPS.

After Outpost 3.5 i worked a longer time with OA, now its Outpost latest (not Suite)
    Comodo was my first choice, then DefenseWallHIPS with Outpost again.
    (in bost cases several issues with the HIPS component here).
    The OA, which works really fine at least, then the update made something worst.
    So i work on Outpost latest now with less trouble then the named before.
    Eset SS was trial last year - v3 was pretty annoying crap. Mamutu and
    ThreatFire - not really needed - last made my system slow.
    LookNstop (LnS) ist really sweet and small - tiny Firewall - not more.

It depends on your needs which firewall meets that best (in any way, also handling).
    If OA has not this special handicap i would use it, so its Outpost again and
    it may stay for longer now cause im in change to win7 and OA is not available yet.

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I believe PC Tools fw is based off one of the LnS builds. At least that was the word when PCT released their fw a few years back- can't believe it's been that long ago.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed several off-topic posts from this thread. May I remind all Wilders members to keep on topic, otherwise this thread will end up closed.

JR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.