PC Stopped booting

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hoser_d, Jun 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoser_d

hoser_d Registered Member

Just yesterday my PC would only boot as far as the message "Hit F11 key to boot into Acronis recovery manager" or whatever the exact text is and it would just stay right their. I tried to boot into the Acronis boot CD and it also would only go as far as "Loading Acronis True Image..." and it also would just stay right there. This became apparent that it was a True Image problem and not my PC. I was able to boot with other CD's, just not Acronis one's that had worked before. What I did to fix this for now is I booted into Windows Recovery Manager and did a fixmbr. Obviously the "Hit F11 key..." message is now gone, but I was now able to boot into Windows and here I am.

I have yet to uninstall and reinstall True Image, but I will end up trying that. Any other thoughts on this? BTW, I did recently upgrade my BIOS, but I am sure that I have rebooted at least a few times before I had this problem. Also, I did not make any other changes to my system from the time my PC was OK and the time I could not boot into it.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hoser_d,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build, which is available on our web-site: Acronis True Image 8.0. In order to get access to updates you should register account on our site (or just log in if you have already created it) and then register your copy of the product.

Also please clarify your situations. You try to boot from Acronis bootable CD and when the message "Loading Acronis True Image..." appears your system stays. When you try to boot in Windows, you get the message "Hit F11 key to boot into Acronis recovery manager" and your system also stays. Do you have Acronis Secure Zone? Am I correct?

If you want to boot in Acronis Rescue Media please try the following workaround:

Please boot your computer from the Acronis True Image rescue disc (the full version) and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears. After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please add the "acpi=off noapic" parameter (without quotes) to the end of the Linux kernel command line (do not remove the word "quiet") and click on the OK button.

And let me know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

3. hoser_d

I do have the latest build.

I do have the Acronis Secure Zone and activated (did). All of a sudden one day I went to boot my PC and the computer froze at the message "Hit F11 key to boot into recovery manager." Hitting F11 did not do anything. I then tried to use the bootable CD to load into True Image to deactivate the secure zone. When I did this the PC also froze at the "Loading Acronis True Image..." message. As I stated I had to boot into the Windows recovery manager and use the command fixmbr in order to boot into Windows.

I tried doing as you said with the True Image rescue CD and hitting F11 at the "Loading Acronis True Image..." message and this did nothing. It was still frozen at this spot and hitting F11 did not allow me to go to the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt so I was not able to follow the rest of your instructions.

4. Acronis Support

Hello hoser_d,

Could you please try to roll back to the previous version of BIOS and try to boot with Acronis True Image bootable CD? Were you able to boot after that? Please let us know the full model name of your motherboard and the version of BIOS you had previously.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. hoser_d

OK, I did roll back the BIOS to the previous version and everything did (kind of) work again. I say kind of because during the CD boot process, I received the following message. "hub.c: connect - debounce failed, port 1 disabled". However, it eventually continued booting into the Acronis recovery CD.

I don't know if I have the exact information that you need or not, but this is my system.

Dell Dimension 8400
    Intel P4 3GHz
    Intel 925x chipset

BIOS version that currently works A05
    BIOS version that I had problems with A06.

That's all I could find in regards to motherboard type and BIOS version.

6. hoser_d

bump. This thread was starting to get buried so I brought it back to the front.

7. Acronis Support

Hello hoser_d,

Could you please let us know what build of Acronis True Image you used to create Acronis Bootable CD? The message you mentioned persisted in old builds, however, there shouldn't be anything like that with build 859.

Could you please describe where Acronis Secure Zone is placed in your system? This will allow us to find out the reason for the problem with boot up.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. hoser_d

Well, I'm not all that interested in that message I guess, because after that post I created a new bootable CD using the latest version of TI and I did not recieve that message.

I am more concerned with the fact that I had to roll back my BIOS update in order to get it to work. The Acronis Secure Zone is at the end of my HDD. The last 10 Gig's or so.

9. Acronis Support

Hello hoser_d,

It is possible that the problem is connected with the latest version of BIOS. If you want we can continue the investigation. You can update your BIOS and then try to reactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and see whether the problem persists.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.