PC Security Test

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by gergy, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gergy

gergy Registered Member

PC Security Test is a free program for Windows that checks computer security against viruses, spyware and hackers. With a few mouse clicks, users can easily control the efficiency of their protection software (anti-virus programs, spyware scanners and firewalls).
    PC Security Test simulates virus, spyware and hacking attacks and monitors the responses of your protection software. Don't worry, no real viruses are involved ! After the tests are complete, PC Securtiy computes a security index and provides tips on improving PC security.

http://www.pc-st.com/us/

Seems worth a try.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Since I'm not at a workstation to properly run 2 of the tests(Hacking and Virus)....I'll comment about the Spyware test.

The Spyware test attempts to add an executable to System folder, change your homepage and add an extension to IE. It then cleans the fictisious files\settings on completion of test.

* Attempts to add= Cmesys.exe
    * Registry attempts:
    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\\{12345678-1234-1234-1234-1234567890AB}

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\\Start Page "http://www.detournementdepagedaccueil.com"

3. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

good you tried it Bubba, I hope unsuspicious members will just read your comments about it.

again another scam if you ask me...:(

just my two cents.

Inf.

4. Infinity

seems like to get rid of it...

sorry :D

5. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Ok... so this is (a.o.?) what is does, but....

can you (or any of the experts) be so kind to review this test in full?
    And obviously clearify whether this test (or any simular one) is sensible to run for/by a newbie and/or user-with-moderate-security-knowledge?
    In other words: can this one be trusted; and if so, how can one be sure of its intentions. Does it come with any recommendations or disapproval from trusted experts -(sites)? etc etc
    You catch my point; where/what to look for on this subject.

Thanks in advance,
    slammer

6. Infinity

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I take it you have ran the test and saved the Cmesys.exe file for analyzing ? Or have you done a search of Google and assume the Cmesys.exe file they are speaking of is one in the same ?

8. Infinity

they put in the test virus eicar, they do a portscan and "symulate" spyware behaviour.

the file was ok, I made a false positive.

but I first googled, you were right about that.

Inf

9. Infinity

sorry I was too fast with the conclusions ...hmmm

:(

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nothing be sorry about....but some conclusions can lead us astray sometimes :)

@ Slammer....it's not that I have dis-trust with their approach or what was downloaded....I simply won't recommend this as a test to my family and friends yet.

11. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Ok, thank you for so far.
    Any trustworthy reviews already that you know of? I'd be thankful.
    grtz,
    slammer

12. I tried the test.....but i was in "frozen mode"....so at the time all I needed was
    a reboot to restore my system, and at the present I have nothing of importance
    on my P.C.

It did set off every security device I had on my machine....allow none..you
    will get back your score then. This time though I'll run all my apps. after the
    the test to see if I'm all clear before I do my next reboot.

13. I just ran test again....

microsoft antispy...............clean
    ewido..............................clean
    tds3................................clean
    Nod 32 ..settings high........clean

So everything seems legit.....But just remember that old latin saying that means

.......................................BUYER BEWARE...............................................

14. Bourne

Bourne Guest

Does nobody ever read the help documents before they play with stuff? Or does everyone run out ,download and run blindly whatever crap they see posted on the net?

If so you will see it does exactly what it claims to do, in terms of what processes are ran, what files are added, what registry keys are added. I didn't take that all on trust of course, but I verified it seems to do what it claims to do.

Of course, when you quit it does a small advert on Viruskeeper, a weird name for a antivirus - I don't want to keep viruses.

How accurate these tests are and how you should interprete them though is another question.

Would I recommend this to my family and friends? Of course not... ~snip~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2005
  15. nameless

nameless Registered Member

The basic premise of this "test" utility is stupid anyway; it doesn't test whether or not the user is a moron, which is the most important point.

I don't have 300 different crapware security utils locking down my MSIE settings, but I've also never had a single bit of spyware on my system.

So if they tell me that I have "Insufficient protection", they can put lips to hindside.

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Get a grip....and I'll not dignify your "moron" remark....but We ALL were a little less knowledgeable when first discovering the Internet and Security. The basic premise of this test can go a long way in educating those individuals that are less knowledgeable. Fortunately....the number of individuals that choose to give back to the Community what they have learned far out weighs those that choose to have a tude.

17. nameless

Oh no, a guy named "Bubba" said I have a "tude". Whatever shall I do?

My apologies for offending anyone who happens to be a moron.

18. nameless

But, oh, by the way--this "test" doesn't do squat, except teach the clueless user that software is the answer to all security problems. You need "Super Crapmagnet 2005" to load 5,000 kernel-mode drivers and 1,300 services in order to be protected. And don't forget "JunkWave Ultrabarf Supreme" to prevent you from running whatever arrives in your email--because you know, you should try running whatever arrives in your email.

My point was that new users shouldn't be taught those sorts of things; they should instead be taught responsible computing. My condolences if you think otherwise.

19. Infinity

who was saying the opposite Nameless?

off course safe computing is the most important thing we can do but that doesn't stop from infecting us isn't it? ;)

no one said they would recommend the test to any other member. :D

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

3 guesses and the first 2 don't count :)

So part of the Test is a port scan....does that mean Steve Gibson has been teaching users wrong all this time via his ShieldsUP test ?....Rubbish.

21. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Plain and simple: refrain from remarks in case a staff member over here says so - period.

Uncalled for - unless this is merely a case of private self-reflection. If so: there's no need for that over on this board.

regards,

paul

22. Infinity

that would be something like white snow or black negro but I lost the "intelligent "word for it, something like pleonasm or tautologie or something...

Or maybe I just shut up myself

:D

23. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

The best PC Test is Dont download anything you dont know about....
    thats the best Advice I have. You dont know what kind of code is in them programs. Or AV Scan before downloading anything.

24. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

The ad for Viruskeeper could be expected since both programs are made by AxBx ;)

I fail to see the use of a test where you would have to download and run a program, but I do see enough reasons not to do that. In this case the company checks out as a trustworthy one AFAIK.

Let's suppose I choose to run this program and I will get alerts from my security apps that changes are attempted to be made. Will I allow them?
    That question should be answered as if it was: "Would I do this under normal circumstances?"

If, for example, I download something and install it, I would expect changes to be made to the registry and what not. But when I'm running a test, I will be expecting to answer No to these prompts by Teatimer, AdWatch, SpywareGuard, RegRun or Regprot (or whatever you may be using)

So, if you are asking if this test can be trusted, I think so, yes.
    But if you're asking if it will learn you much, I doubt it.

Regards,

Pieter

25. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

PC security Test = Awful Results

Someone gave me a link to a free pc security test

http://www.pc-st.com/us/pcsecuritytest.zip

I always thought i was pretty secure i use Mcafee virus scan enterprise 8 (which i have always believed is the best you can get) and mcafee desktop firewall 8 (which a few of the mods her at wilders have suggested is very good too). I also use spywareblaster for on-access spyware.

I took the test expecting good results but now i am very concerned.

I scored very low results on each test, can i ask does anyone know what is wrong with my setup to score this low and what i can do to sort myself up and score in the 90's or possibly 100%.

Thank you
    Anthony

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.