pc magazine gives Avira Security Suite 9 a Thumbs Down Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Securon, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Osaban, at the risk of sounding pompous, allow me to assure you that I am right. ;)

When it comes to detection rate, rest assured that even many experienced users don't feel interested in quibbling over a few fractions of a percent, let alone novices, and it's often the overall polish and well-thought-out, well-implemented features that are the dealbreaker. There is no "only one hard fact" in any business, real or otherwise, nor are novices all after a specific feature, period, which is personally important to you but not necessarily as vital to them. Lambast a reviewer for not putting your priorities first when you're not even his target audience, and, well, you're wrong right from step one.

2. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Personally, I have avoided Norton products for many years and would not recommend them because of the impact on system performance, difficulty with uninstalling, etc. You have to take into account what's best for the average user though. I'm a technician and know that the average user needs to educate himself if he wants to keep his system free from malware, but in the real world most users are not competent to configure security software. The best that many can do is understand that security software is necessary and must be kept up to date (in other words they have to actually renew the yearly subscription). The software has to do the rest and require as little user input as possible. From that point of view Avira 2009 is too complicated and confusing. It is suited more to advanced users who can understand the complexity and make appropriate choices. Currently I think the best product for the average user is Norton 2009 (AV or IS) because Symantec has addressed most of the problems (slow installation, system overhead, buggy uninstall) and because by default it is silent. I don't think it's perfect or enough - just a good compromise.

3. Iam_me

Iam_me Registered Member

This PCMag magazine love one product.. And its NORTON..
    It scores top everytime. :D

The guy who wrote this article also came to the conclusion that Nortons Firewall protects better against leaks than Comodo Internet Security..:argh: something Completley Contradicting all testings known to man.. And he got this conclusion from public tests..

Bottom line: He don't know what he is talking about and he fails to do tests, even if he speeks well, he don't really have full understanding of the things he does. :thumbd: As he was the only one that got CIS to fail SIMPLE public leak tests it already passed when all others ran the test.

Even if I don't use Avira myself I still know that it got really great detection.
    Its worth much more than 2 of five. :thumbd: :thumbd:

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Agree with you Victek, for the average user, who knows nothing, they just want to browse the web and never want to see a popup/alert. They probably wouldn't even be aware if the tray icon of their security program was missing.

Anyway, you'll never have a product that will please everyone. If you trim down on features, you appeal to the masses, but not to those who like to configure their setups.

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Ofc it depends. If it actually is the OS-file-replacer kind, there's simply nothing more you can do than repair your installation or reformat. In the other cases, if it's malware, then absolutely. So, yeah, then I'm for auto-delete I guess - best way to do it in any case where it's needed. :rolleyes:

6. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I still can't understand what the fuss is all about.Avira submitted their software to PcMag because they wanted their opinion and they got it.

Avira has taken the review in its stride and I bet their bosses in germany are telling their employees to work out all kinks, so that Neil is forced to eat his words when he reviews Avira Premium Suite 10.

If you really are a fanboy/loyal user/fan of Avira, IMO you should probably send your feedback and pressurise the company to make changes fast to make it the perfect security product (for everyone including the layman). So that there can Avira World Domination ( Ahahaahahaahaaa )

7. raven211

... Incase it isn't already. :D But seriously, I think that's the greatest approach every company can take to satisfy all sides - fix all the valid kinks that exist and get to their attention.

8. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Totally Agreed :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

9. Arup

Arup Guest

If the criticisms were really constructive and the tone of review fair, yes, we would take it in stride. All he did was pick on a issue and blow it out of proportions and never once did he mention the attributes of Avira and the reason why people use it. Nothing is perfect and Avira is far from it, the fact that it has consistently scored at the top of every tests thrown at it is not even mentioned once, all I heard was bitch, moan and groan.

10. raven211

Amen to that. :D I too see this in this review - where there's something to pick on, he picks on it really hard, not being fair with what is really good about the software. He does give it credit for some things, but he's definitely not being totally fair overall.

Out of curiousity - has ESET been featured in their magazine? I recall a pretty decent score for their latest Smart Security that he's reviewed as well.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Don't drag ESET into your Avira love fest. Keep the topic on the topic.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's interesting how our POV differs. Currently I use Norton Internet Security 2009. I tried Avira and Kaspersky and eventually settled on NIS because at this time it provides the best combination of features and functionality for me. If a serious bug or limitation is discovered in NIS (or when something clearly better comes along) I will not hesitate to switch. I'm not attached to any company or product. I'm only interested in acquiring the best security software possible for my systems and I'm grateful to the reviewers who exam the products in detail and uncover every little flaw.

13. raven211

WTH do you mean by that? I only tried to see a pattern - AND I'M STILL TALKING ABOUT THE REVIEWS!

14. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

Amen to that, a sensible post, my 2 cents for what it's worth, I tried the Avira Suite, having been a licensed user of Avira Premium but ditched the suite ( 6 month trial ),because I found it buggy, now using KIS (2 year license) with Online Armor without firewall and Edge and so far so good but I won't hesitate to switch if I encounter any problems.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A simple magazine review turned into a "this versus that thread". Thread is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.