PC Mag Review of ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by bmex63, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Do explain.

2. solcroft

Probably because he's only comparing one aspect of the suite to the standalone program, as opposed to pitting the standalone program and the suite as a whole against each other.

3. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Its late here so will try my best!

Following the advice in an earlier post about Firewall Leak tests, I went to the recomended site and downloaded the leak tests. With the set up on Automatic, the first one failed, the next 4 showed up as viruses and were "blocked" - I set the firewall to interactive and it blocked the leaktest program.

However it appears two of these leak tests have viruses on them and becasue the Firewall was automatic they breached ESS and got onto my PC

exploit.copycat.b.trojan
    trojannotifier.small.A.trojan

These 2 were found when I dropped ESS for KIS 7 2 nights back, the viruses showed up in the FF cache, they were then dealt with by KIS.

So now I will never switch the firewall to Automatic, the risk is to great in my mind.

Hope that makes sense, it has been a long day.

4. solcroft

It does now.

Pretty much as I suspected, just some paranoia on your part due to misunderstandings. Kaspersky detected the Copycat leak tests as an exploit - that's all that happened. It doesn't mean it "breached" the firewall; that makes no sense at all, since firewalls weren't designed to detect trojans. As for the Trojannotifier, in lieu of what you've just described, I'm perfectly inclined to think it's just more misunderstanding and panicking on your part rather than any real threat.

5. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Thank You

6. WigglyTheGreat

WigglyTheGreat Registered Member

Nothing really surprising here. Eset's AV of course is the strongest part of the suite and the firewall isn't overly robust. The antispam I have no idea about as I never used it and don't need it. No big surprise that it isn't the best antispyware either as that is why it's best to run different antispyware scans as no one antispyware app can catch everything. Parental controls have no business in security suites anyway as far as I am concerned so I hope not to see them in ESS. Most importantly ESS runs smooth as butter on any machine I put it on and they all have very different hardware and software on them.

My favorite combo was always nod32 and outpost firewall, but I am happy to use ESS and I feel it will only get better with time. I like ESS despite it not being perfect in every area. It runs great and the impact on system performance is almost zero and I run different online av scans, antispyware scans, and my systems always come up clean. I would say Eset is on the right track with this suite and just need to make minor improvements while keeping ESS lean.

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Wow pretty harsh review by them. Not surprising to me based upon there track record however. I think ESS is still going to improve with time. I never had an issue with NOD32 2.7 etc, so I am willing to bet the same type of satisfaction will come with ESS.

I wonder though, based upon this review, is anyone here running an anti trojan such as BOClean etc with ESS? I used to run it a long time ago alongside NOD32, but after it went to Comodo, I lost interest in the product. If anyone here wants to PM me regarding this as to not derail this thread, that's fine with me.

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I have Norton Antibot and BoClean running alongside of ESS. Doesn't harm ;)

9. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Good to know. Not sure I will run them side by side. I've not been impressed since BOClean went to Comodo.

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

10. nodHead

nodHead Registered Member

PC Mag has it's people in this forum. That's obvious.

As far as the review, it's accurate. ESET is struggling against the competition.

11. Katril

Katril Registered Member

I have personally gave up on software reviews from CNet, PCMag, or any of these reviewers.

I find it hard to believe that they give honest reviews on products when I own the products and can accurately argue every point they have.

I mean honestly, we have symantec at work and I just had to run an online scan from eset to clean a computer. And it did work over symantec.

SO overall Ive found them to bash those that probably do not pay the most to not be bashed.

Kind of like the software mafia or something. :)

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

People can find out what the best software and the worst is, simply by being a member of the Wilders Forum. You can separate the BS from the good information just from reading and participating in the threads. I have been informed about more excellant software reading posts then I ever could reading "reviews" in computer magazines. :D

13. rinzwind

rinzwind Registered Member

I was incorrect. Vista's firewall doesn't block outbound traffic by default.

14. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

Amazing to see that Eset responds in a thread where ESS gets a good review but no response at all in here. Sad thing.

15. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

No matter what is said it all still boils down to one thing. They gave a review on an application that is less than two weeks old. Wait til this thing is a year old and see what they're saying then.

16. GaryRW

GaryRW Registered Member

It's not 2 wks old, it's almost 1 yr late.....excluding Vista compatability.

17. solcroft

So why don't you, instead of contributing more of the same tired and old accusations of bias?

I'm still waiting to see any factual rebuttals to the review.

18. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I mentioned that to the ESET staff during beta test, as I think the Windows Firewall is even stricter in that case than ESET firewall in automatic mode. I got as a reply that it might be changed later on. For me, just more evidence that the suite is rushed out too quickly, not all aspects of it well developed and issues left uncleared. Still, that might not be so unusual for a software product, Firefox 3 will be published with lots of bugs left unfixed as there is not enough time. Just our choice whether we want to accept that and buy the suite or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.