PC Mag Review: Avira Premium Security Suite 10

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hawki, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

3. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

No problems here.

4. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

This is what bugs me as well. I'm afraid that in the future there won't be any good stand alone products left, because everybody is intent on developing an end-all/be-all "suite". There will never be one product that does everything well. I would rather have several stand alone ones that do what they are designed to do, and do it well.

In the process of trying to tackle these over avenues involved in a suite they regress at what they were good at to begin with... in Avira's case AV. I had the same fear regarding Comodo when they started pushing their suite, but while I wouldn't yet trust their AV to protect me, their firewall/HIPS has not regressed in the process at least.

Just my 2 cents...

5. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

The below paragraph in his review rather makes me wonder how much creedence anybody should put in one of his reviews:-

"...The rogue kept demanding paid registration to remove the alleged threats found by its fake scans. It also popped up a phony Security Center window recommending that I register. And when I searched online for manual removal instructions, it diverted my search to a warning page that (you guessed it) suggested I register XP Defender Pro. This happened over the weekend, so rather than waiting 'til Monday for tech support I used a clean system to find manual removal instructions and dealt with the problem myself. I wasn't impressed with this introduction to the suite's protection."

If he cannot, a) recognise a member of the WinAVpro2009/2010 family of malware and, b) does not know how to remove it; then I really do question his technical Knowledge and experience.

A simple scan with Smitfraudfix and/or Malwarebytes in Safe Mode kills it pretty effectivley. Also I challenge any AV product, even his favourite Norton 2010, to detect all versions of this malware as it changes pretty much on an hourly basis.

6. vojta

vojta Registered Member

If he removes the threats manually, how can he test the antivirus he is testing?. Seriously, before going labeling another person as an inept or an idiot, give it a second thought.

7. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

If you take the time to read the review you will see that he was complaining that the AV he was testing did not stop it or clean it and he was looking online for instructions on how to remove it. As a so called AV "expert" I would expect him to know what this very common malware was and know how to get rid of it.

It was you, by the way, that used the words "inept" and "idiot", not me.

8. vojta

vojta Registered Member

It's absolutelly logical that a reviewer reproduces the exact steps that a normal user follows when facing an infection that his antivirus can't fix. Everybody searches for help in internet first, trying to get in contact with the antivirus provider's support. That's what that guy always do in all his reviews and that's the way to test if the antivirus has, at least, prevented the malware from hacking the user's internet connection, and then checking if support from the AV company is good. That's exactly what I want to read in a review.

A review has to be useful and informative for the reader. There is no point in showing how much you know about viruses' names and removal. That would be simple and plain teenager exhibitionism. Youtube anyone?.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  9. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

Great reviewer. As always, Neil does a good job reviewing security products from the point of view of PCMag readers and no surprise that AVIRA doesn't cut it for the average user. AVIRA has years to go before it becomes a mainstream product. Some companies just dont know how to design products for real-users, the UI totally sucks. "Busy" is an under-statement.

10. icr

icr Registered Member

Well a bit harsh but have to agree with you their detections were really poor during BETA cycles and the final product(Well I haven't tried still, but might have poor detections) They are also forcing users to switch users to v10 that is also not fair as many feel that v10 is still buggy.

For the GUI part I don't agree that it sucks rather I find it good simple and sweet:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.