PC MAG: Comodo Antivirus 5.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

hmm... strange behavior... dont see why he keeps getting his account deleted...

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

For those who have followed him, he's had his Moderator account at the Comodo Forums deleted several times, too. I don't know why. But, this is the last time here!

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Maybe it's because a Moderator should be... uh ... moderate. :blink:

4. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

indeed:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

5. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well if one opens a thread on wilders one should be ready for some serious dissection....some sensitivities are bound to pricked on the way.........

6. m0unds

m0unds Guest

oof. :gack:

7. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

oh well! it looks like "Josh" just couldn't handle the pressure... DACS will always haunt his mind... until they get released (in the next version).... :thumbd:

8. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

In my estimation any publicly untested security software company that makes the arrogant claim(in advance) to be capable(and sure!) of developing a program which will be 100% effective, is both living in "cloud cuckoo-land", and, I believe, misleading potential(and existing) customers.
    Some people should get real, and decide to be truthful and honest, even at a
    late stage.

9. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

What ever happened to the "Daisy" engine they had activated for a day. It was suppose to make sig's much faster then they were currently doing via computer analysis. All I remember is that day they had ton's of FP's and turned the engine off, then they said "Daisy" would return soon.

10. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Daisy, maybe it was just a beautiful name, that is it. Or maybe just maybe Daisy was only a mirage or some sort of bridge from illusion A to illusion B...Wait a minute... Well I do not know, just ask Melih. :D.

Thanks.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Comodo people know to make a very good drama. Surprising that most of them have same attitude.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW let me say that malware blocage by comdo AV was good in this test. They need work with false positives and modified malware samples- may be they need to change the way they make signatures for malware to be more accurate, precise and smart in detection.

13. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Well,

I think that statement is partly true. Although, I am not a Comodo software user [ didn't even install it when it was just a firewall at version 2 ], I usually read their threads here with some interest looking to learn something since I am not a computer expert. I think every day of our lives teaches us things that we didn't even know about or strengthen our knowledge about thing we thought we already knew.

Regarding Comodo, I feel like many of you have been very harsh on it. Okay, okay, many of you probably would justify your borderline childish behavior by saying: “Well, they come here to Wilders to claim their software is the best thing since sliced bread and we ought to refute that claim”. Okay, that's fine but what do you win by doing this EVERY TIME? Personal gratification?

When some entrepreneur claims something about a product he manufactures and marketers [ be the product a drug, an electronic, a car, etc.] I think that if that particular product turns out to be a fiasco people will eventually know about it and will not buy it or endorse it.

We at Wilders are users that consider ourselves with a little more of computer/software knowledge than the average computer user [ e.g.: I'm supposed to know more about PCs than my 86 years old grandmother, aren't I? ]. Some of you have used Comodo software in the past with very unpleasant results that have scared you away forever. That's perfectly fine since nobody forces anything upon us.

What I find tiresome is people who love to start flaming and trolling for argument's sake. If those Comodo fans come here and start making claims they cannot back up with facts, just leave them alone until they feel that no one is paying attention to whatever they are claiming and eventually the thread will fade away like it happened at DSL Reports when someone started a thread similar to one in here about the challenge by Melih to Symantec. It was a short lived thread at DSL and no many there even noticed it. Here, however, it was like the World War III. A lot of posts by the same people, the same Comodo bashers that exist here and can be counted with all your fingers and still you get fingers left to keep counting on. The same small bunch of people.

What do you guys really win with this? I don't know. I think in the software universe you should be open to new ideas and you never know what software developer might come up with something impressive in the future. How many of us knew something about Malwarebytes Antimalware five years ago? Today, however MBAM is one of the more regarded pieces of software when it come to deal with Malware.

Now, about Comodo, they were just a firewall with a classical HIPS [D+] for several years[ http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2240712,00.asp ]until they decided to enter the Anti-Virus arena just when they released v.3 of their software. Anti-Virus development takes a very long road to get a polished product. For example, when did Symantec purchase Norton from its founder, Peter Norton? When did McAfee start its AV? I also think Kaspersky started back in the late 90's; NOD32 has been in the market for years; etc.
    Comodo has only been in the AV market just a few years [ 3 years or so, may be? I stand to be corrected]. An example of how an AV can improve over time is Microsoft. Everybody here remembers about Windows Live OneCare and how low detection rate it had [about 80%]. However, look now at Microsoft Security Essentials, just free and with a detection rate on par with those of paid AV solutions. So,why not give those Comodo people the benefit of the doubt? They might improve over time but at least, they deserve the chance.

I know that some of you might have gotten very frustrated with Comodo software when you ran it on your PCs but that doesn't give you the right of become so obnoxious whenever a Comodo thread is started. If you had some issues with that piece of software, just stop using it and move on, there are plenty of free and paid AV solutions out there to choose from [ Symantec, Avira, Avast!, ESET, MSE, Panda, McAfee, etc.].

Your mainly complain is about the pop-ups being too many and not user friendly. What can you expect from a classical HIPS? When my wife [who happens to know nothing about computers] goes to Best Buy to purchase a laptop it comes with a trial of Symantec, Kaspersky or McAfee preloaded. I have NEVER seen Comodo preloaded on any PCs at the computer store. Therefore, the average Joe PC user is very unlikely to come across with Comodo while he/she is using computers unless someone who happens to be a computer savvy [like WILDERS users], tells him/her about a software named Comodo. So, that claim that pop-ups are going to confuse the average PC user [ the one who buys from Best Buy, like my kids or wife ] is unfunded and the only reason to bring it up in every Comodo thread is just that, to ANNOY.

Regards,

Carlos

14. Rampastein

Rampastein Registered Member

What I find annoying in many Comodo users/fans is that they like to bash other products all the time as much as possible, especially paid ones. When those products actually can and will protect their users very well. Sure they're not 100% secure, but nothing is; I have many friends who have installed Comodo because I recommended it and 3 months later some of them have been infected with TDSS.

15. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

yep, just watch languy99 videos, he says Comodo is the best and every other product is a crap...:thumbd:

16. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Right,

And, whatever such a guy nicknamed “languy99” does and says has to cause such a trauma upon us that we have to be here watching all day long so as soon as a Comodo thread is started we have to start behaving like elementary school kids.

Do Symantec, Kaspersky, McAfee, Panda or whatever AV you run on your PC pay your wages so you can put food on the table for you and your family at home?

What's it to you?

If “languy99” or whoever Comodo fan want to say or write about other products they are entitled to do so because of freedom of speech. It doesn't necessarily mean that they are right but they are entitled to their points of view as you're entitled to yours. That simple. If you don't like what they have to say or write just don't read it or don't listen to it.

I use ESET NOD32 v4.2 but I could care less what other people might or might not say or think about it. As long as I'm happy with it and as long as I can prove it's doing its job protecting my PCs from virus/trojans I don't mind what “languy99” or others can say about it.

Some people like NY Yankees and some people like LA Dodgers but...hey, that's NOT the end of the world and people are going to like different things. That's the nature of being human. They cannot force Comodo upon you but likewise you cannot force Symantec upon them.

I, myself was a loyal Symantec user back in late 90's and early 2000's but with version 2001 Norton became so bloated that I got tired of it and removed it completely from my PC. I know because many of you, that several years ago bashed Norton and described it as aimed to newbies for being so basic and bloated are its more LOYAL users today.

To me, Norton had its chance in the past and it blew it and, no matter how much they may have improved on detection and how lean it runs now I wouldn't use it even it was given away for free. It's matter of preference, you see?

But at least, I have set an example out of myself, and even when I might disagree with other people on sports, software, politics, etc, I respect their point of views and do not try to force my points upon them even if they might think that my ideas could be wrong or obsolete. That is being professional.

Thanks,

Carlos

17. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I think that the majority of people are very sceptical when it comes to outragous claims. Sometimes during the course of "testing" a peice of software, things are picked apart. Does comodo have the right to say "Prevention is the key" and "we keep a clean computer, clean"? Sure they do. Does anyone else have the right to debunk that statement? Sure do. I've found that when people are less than modest, people get defensive. Its human nature. Oh so you think your software can do all of this and wash my car. I don't think so and here is why. Maybe if comodo didn't make outlandish statements or if folks here would be a little more tolerable. Oh I'm also a comodo used so....I'm not completely biased.

18. xandros

xandros Registered Member

good job comodo company

but the problem i put comodo internet security for my sister and for my brother ,

but they every time call me on mobile and ask me what we must to do coz comodo give message and they dont know what they must to do o_Oo_O

also me some times i dont know what i will answer them :blink:

so i uninstall comodo internet security from my sister and brother computers, and i install avast internet security

then they tell me also they dont like it and they need the first time i install internet security on my sister pc and my brother pc :rolleyes: ((nod32 internet security )) they like it ,

but i tell them sorry i cant coz i dont have money now to buy it , so they still now on avast internet security.

comodo internet security very strong on virus and very light on pc
    but its need people know about computer and programs. its not good for normal people or for the teens.

any way i have comodo internet security on my computer and i like it , its protect me very well.

thanx

19. m0unds

m0unds Guest

that sports team analogy is extremely prescient--lots of people here are so devoted to their security software vendor you'd think the company pays their mortgage.

20. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

First of all, I'll be honest - I'm using Comodo for now (with other stuff such as Windows Hardening) but that doesn't make me a fanboy by all means. Comodo has apparent weaknesses and strengths....and I'm aware of both sides of the coin. I have had both bad and good experiences with Comodo's software - as such, it's ridiculous for me to take sides/be biased here.

What CIS is and what it isn't:

CIS is a suite which focuses more on prevention rather than with malware cleanup (at the current moment). It's NOT an install-and-forget kind of tool. I'm not saying that those that are install-and-forget are bad - in fact, pretty much to the contrary, I find them appealing...in terms of usability for the masses.

Nevertheless, from my point of view, CIS appeals to a niche target market....namely being the users who are already advanced/knowledgeable or average users who are willing to learn and deal with using it. It requires you to be able to know/understand how it works and to deal with the alerts carefully.

If you are not one, I'd say the best thing you can do for yourself is to forget the idea of using it - honestly. Or use it without Defense+ (the HIPS component that is often responsible for what some user may terms as 'annoying' alerts)

If you still want to use Defense+ but is alarmed/displeased by it's alerts (some users see a lot of it), then you can always configure Defense+ monitoring settings....

But here comes the argument....

Why bother?

Some people may wonder why bother with such a software that prompts you often (classical HIPS mainly)? Why not just learn to avoid downloading or installing files from untrusted sources? Why not just use an AV along-with common sense? Or perhaps set a LUA or default-deny SRP or an anti-executable and be done with it?

I must say they've got a valid point indeed...one that I can understand and agree with. Especially because that's the kind of setup that appeals to me too.

However, unlike them, I can also see on the other side of the coin - that there are times when some users wants to be alerted when a certain stuff is going on in their PC. That's where a HIPS/Behavior Blocker or any other technologies (AV heuristics, Firewall, etc) by any other vendors come in to play.

But you're still asking - whyo_O?

It's a choice.

It's really just a matter of choice/preference. We've got to realize that not all users are the same in terms of how they'd like to setup their machine.

For example, some people would prefer to run as Admin all the time and deal with HIPS alerts...perhaps more than they'd like to deal with UAC or possible inconveniences using LUA. Although it may seem as a concept that's infavorable especially among LUA advocates or HIPS haters, the fact remains the same - no 2 brains think alike all the time.

In other words, what works for you doesn't necessarily work for everyone else.

Well said by Ibrad;) And that's what I want to point out.

A few more words from me regarding Comodo as a company:

Comodo's software are mostly free. The company is growing and it's trying to establish itself as a known company in the security field, although I might as well say here that its practices are sometimes questionable.

Admittedly and without any doubts, it has had it's fair share of downfall and bad record among some/many users (one of them being me myself) but if you look at things on the bright side, at the very least you'll see that Comodo is trying to pick up and get hold of a good reputation - that is to be trusted and considered as reliable by the end user. It's trying to reduce the gap between usability for average users while still retaining features for advanced users. whether or not they're failing or succeeding is a story on it's own.

At least that's how I see it. You may agree or disagree with me - that's fine.

For example, some members here may find the promises made by Comodo to be over-excessive or the fanaticism by its fanboys to be ridiculous. Perhaps you simply you may have a dislike towards the charcater of it's CEO, Melih or disagree with his ideology or attitude?

Whatever the case is - whether or not the company will earn that trust from you is ultimately your choice. You can voice out your opinion/your experiences but do you really have to go far too off the stretch in praising ('fanboyism' isn't good for the company's image) or bashing the company (dislike and warning others is one thing but extreme hatred is another)?

Exception: Comodo software thrash your PC and messed it up. If that's what happened to you, then you deserve the right to bring it up as an issue.

P.S. I'm not taking sides - pretty much neutral when it comes to Comodo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.