PC MAG: Comodo Antivirus 5.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Wish I was a fanboy. Id have superior protection, but oh well. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

2. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

I couldn't have said it better myself. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    Ice

3. You are spot on here mate!

What AV, What Security Suite will remove 100% of all threats out there? None. With CIS, you have a clean system and you a PREVENTING any threat from invasion. This is by far alot better than using, for example NIS which is only based on detection technologies, and getting infected. What does NIS do if they do not detect a threat using their AV/Antispyware/Sonar/Insight? Sorry your infected.

Why do we still have an ever growing malware problem? Because likes of NIS are NOT protecting the user properly. NIS can only DETECT what is knows. if CIS AV fails, then the sandbox sandboxes any unknown application.

Prevention is by far better then cleaning.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well that could be looked at both ways, personally id say the reason for the ever growing malware problem is the stakes are much higher today than 10 years ago so theres more incentive

and 2nd, why do u keep walking around my previous point that

any comment about that and Comodo's claims which are being shown as a joke again? (other than simply saying how comodo prevents so well that we'll just ignore the claims we made before about having a great AV)

5. whitedragon551

Their AV has grown drastically compared to what it used to be. I guess if a program is made and its not instantly top notch guess its just bull**** like you say. You have great logic skills. Now I remember why your on my ignore list.

6. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Guys this discussion is taking us no where, its Comodo AV can do that, Comodo AV can not do that and on and on and on. Since this is a security forums lets get technical about it.

Comodo AV is based upon prevention, but it is not the malware ending solution to every problem. Its Sandbox can prevent the unknown, one bypass and the CAV scanner misses it your machine is infected. One person removes a program from the Sandbox because they think it is clean and CAV does not detect it the computer is infected. It is impossible to take in every variable to place one AV at the top.

Now would Comodo AV detect the missed sample later, in my personal opinion it would but it would not be important then because the machine is infected and I would look towards my AV ability to remove it. Anyone can argue saying well if it prevented it in the first place and the user did it wrong it is the users fault but the user would still is up to the AV to clean it. That is why malware cleaning is important. You can say well I backup my machine xx times a week and I make a quick image yy times a day but the average user would do none of that.

No matter how much we all will deny it will all favor one AV over another. So please lets discuss this product from a good view point where we can all learn not my av can do that and Comodo can't or Comodo can do this and product y and z can't. That's why the A vs B rule is in place.

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I always find it amusing how the Comodo crowd seem to believe that CIS = prevention.

A good antivirus + non-admin account + updated software + common sense, throw in Sandboxie if you want, and there's your silent, effective prevention right there, without Comodo's annoying popups. I don't need to execute something that I KNOW is unsafe, see the reassuring popup, and click "Deny" in order to be protected. If I know it's unsafe, I just won't run it in the first place!

8. Hi.

I will be honest with you and it's up to you to believe it... Forgetting about prevention here.

Yes, I know about that promise. I have NO idea what happened to that either. But I can tell you this.

In the next CIS version, say ver 5.1 or 5.2, A system called DACS (I can not share what DACS is yet until its released) will 100% guarantee that CIS/COMODO will have the best detection in the world.

To give you an idea of this system, it is much more powerful then buying out an AV engine or company.

I will keep my word on this and I hope every one sees this post.

Cheers!
    Josh - Comodo Global Moderator.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Don't know if everyone has seen it but I have.:ninja:

10. whitedragon551

Basically every single thread in this part of the forum gets chalked up to user error. If the user wasnt an idiot the infection wouldnt occur, end of story. That still isnt part of the equation. If it was blocked by the suite in one form or another it did its job to prevent infection, which I reiterate is more important than cleaning. If said idiot user wouldnt have infected the system despite throwing an AV warning, a sandboxing, etc. cleaning the infection is a moot point.

11. Eice

Eice Registered Member

So has the malware scene, unfortunately. An antivirus product's improvement is meaningless when measured compared to itself, it's only useful when measured compared to the situation of malware out there. Does it really matter if Comodo's sig db is (for example) 1000x bigger than before, but its actual detection rate still remains as crap as ever?

Not really. A program is bull**** if the CEO makes ridiculously fantastical promises that obviously cannot be kept, given their track record of technological improvement, and when those promises are unfulfilled he launches right into his next iteration of bluster and bravado without losing a single breath, nothing as much as an admission or apology for failure and unkept promises. Rinse and repeat.

First it was the AV. When the AV failed, they turned the propaganda machine towards whitelisting. Now that their whitelisting tech turns out to be crap as well, they start selling the sandbox snake oil instead. THAT is what makes a product utter bull****.

Ahahah hahahhah HAHAHAHAHAHAH. :D :D :D :thumb:

12. You can laugh now but you will cry later. ;)

Wait and see what comes. ;)

13. Good. I want everyone to see it. :) Get ready!

14. clocks

clocks Registered Member

That is spectacular! Now if Comodo would only make the program user friendly enough to install on more peoples computers, I would be overjoyed. Because everyone I know that has tried the program, outside of Wilders and the Comodo forums (i.e. everyday users), hasn't liked it.

And now that I think about it, once they achieve this mythical 100% detection, they will no longer need HIPS/Sandbox at all. Can't wait!

15. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Josh, you sound like a really great guy, and truth be told it's no fault of yours that Comodo is as horribly incompetent as it is. Still: when exactly will this DACS be released, and would you mind if I save the link to this thread for entertainment purposes in future, e.g. to post on Comodo's own forum? :D

16. Eice

You can copy and paste the link all over the internet if you like. You can shame me out on the Comodo Forums when it does not come. You can claim that I did share misinformation.

Pls keep my post/link for reference when DACS does come though. :)

Josh

17. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Or v.55.21 etc :D

DACS = DigitalAssCickingSecurity ? :D Oh that C should be a K :p

If they kept the rhetoric to nil and concentrated on coming up with what they keeeeeeeeep promising, nobody would complain. Then again ............ :p

18. Clocks

Sandbox/HIPS will still be there. But don't worry, with DACS pop ups will be more reduced and usability will keep on improving. However, DACS will guarantee better detection than any other AV out there with very minimal fps.

Josh

19. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Yes indeed it is always in the next version and the infamous "100% guarantee". However, when the promise does not materialize well then, excuses and blame others will be the orders of the day from Melih's minions.

Well Josh you actually believe Melih's smoke and mirror. Wow it is quite incredible, that you are a "fanboyism" practitioner to the superlative.

20. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I most definitely will. Not for shaming you, per se, but for the sheer entertainment and comedic value. I do promise I'll try to exercise restraint, and for the record, I'm more than ready to eat my words if Comodo does come through. ;)

To repeat my earlier question, though, when EXACTLY will DACS be released, so I'll know it's time to call the bluff?

21. Sure.

Don't worry, You will be in for a shock. :) (No disrespect or anything btw).

Josh

22. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I have seen it too. :D :D :D :D.

Thanks.

23. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Here I thought, ( key word there,thought Comodo was coming out with the best AV ),but already your talking about false positives.

Back when I ran a AV,which was Avira Free,I never had any FP's?! So,if your talkin the Best here,I'd fix that new technology Comodo is working on,as it sounds like old technology already.

24. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Seems like Comodo detection side isn't that good :rolleyes:
    Anyways i like their CIS suite! :thumb: :thumb: :D

25. harsha_mic

harsha_mic Registered Member

sorry if its a bit off topic...

I'm using Comodo Firewall + Avast AV. I almost never get any pop-up except while palying with malware (in sandboxie) from MDL. Every time it does good against malware (ofcourse i cranked up to Procative security). Probably another reason might be because of nature of the software i try it on my computer and very very less in count.

One time (i guess i'm out of mind) i mistakenly ran a tdss sample outside sandboxie and Comodo successfully neutralized sample by sandboxing it.

Let's hope Comodo delivers its promise for Antivirus even.

I was just trying to say my experience with Comodo. Its positive and saved my day...

Thanks,
    Harsha.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.