PC MAG: Comodo Antivirus 5.0 Review

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Dragons Forever, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

so thats a great chart and all, but lets look at the quick breakdown they gave for cons (which are exactly what ive seen with Comodo for the most part)

and that also shows another organization (one other than Comodo's, surprise there right?... whcih only seem to show that its great) saying the AV is still crap.

of course this one test doesnt determine everything, but it a shows a little more insight into what most people have already been saying, terrible AV, and annoying popups (what happened to the perfect and absolutely silent sandbox?)

2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

The review pretty much says it all.

3. firzen771

lol, exactly my thoughts Eice, i guess thats why he posted the image of the chart instead of simply the link, to make people assume it did amazing in the review...

but the review simply confirmed many people's beliefs.

4. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Agreed

5. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I do not normally recommend CIS to people anymore, due to it being tough to use. I did recommend the new version to the IT help desk person at work though, as I figured if anyone could use it, it would be her.

She uninstalled it the same night. She complained of the popups, and said it kept some of her programs from running correctly. So if an IT pro has a hard time with it, a normal user certainly will also. But Comodo is blind, or at least will not publically admit usability is an issue.

6. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

I'm an IT guy and use it without a single problem. I don't get any popups with regular use. Only at 1st for 1 thing and then never again. Once you configure it correctly its really great protection suite. I wouldn't recommend it to people though, only to those who know what they are doing. Their whitelist needs to get way bigger before it becomes popular for the not so computer savy users. That way good programs don't get affected.

I like it because I like tinkering and know what all the settings mean. For someone like me, it doesn't get any better for free.

Very strange though how some people seem to have an emotional attachment of dislike for it. I mean it's just software heh. If its not for you move on, but some people on here seem to hold a grudge on it. Which is quite silly.

7. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Politics aside...as the article states...poor performance on a system already infected. The majority of home users switch vendors seeking an effective solution. Pure and Simple eradicate Malware...Cloud Technology still in it's formative state. Sandboxing...also a work in progress...stay with Tried... True and Effective. Sincerely...Securon

8. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Not really, we're just pointing out that some people are trying to spread BS propaganda for an obviously sub-par product.

I mean it's just software heh. If its for you that's great, but some people on here seem to hold a near-religious infatuation on it. Which is quite silly.

9. syk69

syk69 Registered Member

But isn't it free? So it's not like people are paying for it. They can try it out and if they don't like it uninstall and find something else. Don't see the big problem.I don't think its sub-par. It gives great protection as the numbers show. Keeps a clean pc clean. I tested it out before actually keeping it and using it for myself. User friendly-ness to the non computer savy user is where it lacks. When their whitelist gets bigger that should cut down tremendously on good programs being sandboxed and popups where someone will be confused to choose what to do.

But yes I do agree on the sillyness of both sides of hate and love for it.

10. I agree with you.

My Mother and Father are NOT computer savy at all... In fact, My Mum only recently found out how to Email. I have installed CIS ver 5 on their machines and none of them have complained since.

CIS at the moment is about keeping a PC clean, only now is Comodo starting to focus on cleaning. And CIS does a good job of keeping a PC Clean, very quietly too. Let's not forget, the average user does NOT install and uninstall software all day long. ;)

11. firzen771

what happned to Comodo's promise all that time ago about their AV? i guess thats just being forgotten now that it hasn't shown in their favour lol... sounds like their usualy approach, ignore the faults, and go on ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ things till they get something that kinda works lol (kinda like with the original sandbox which they later changed cuz they had issues with it...)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I respectfully disagree. Any time a program updates, files get sandboxed or counted as untrusted. Firefox, iTunes, Steam, Dropbox, etc... They are whitelisted, but if you update the first day or two an update is available, you may have issues.

If you look at the Comodo "Programs to whitelist" thread, you will see many programs reported over and over and over. Because as soon as a new version comes out the issues start again until someone submitted it to the Comodo grunts that have to manually add it to their whitelist. They need to find a better approach if they expect to catch on in the mainstream.

13. sded

sded Registered Member

I have wondered looking at these threads-with the phenomenal growth of new software and malware, which falls behind fastest-whitelists of blacklists? Prevx (probably others similar) has gone to automatic user input evaluation and heuristics based on Program Popularity and Program Age using their user base to try to keep current, but what does Comodo do? FAs are just so deadly to the mass of users. :(

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

tbh, the numbers don't really mean anything in this case. It's easy to give "great protection" if you block everything by default, good or bad. The review gives a pretty good description of what's really going on behind the numbers.

15. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

This review is a far cry from all the crazy COMODO commercials on YT.
    I'd hate to see AV-C get their hands on CAV.

16. firzen771

and that my friend is exactly why comodo will continue to spit out excuses, promote their "home grown" tests showing how great they are and most likely never participate in a reputable major test.

17. m0unds

m0unds Guest

not even for the inevitable comedic value?

18. PC_Pete

PC_Pete Registered Member

I think they already have!
    IBK'S comments elsewhere imply that the testing has been conducted but not published.

19. Eice

Eice Registered Member

IIRC, they did so badly in preliminary testing that they were rejected as a participant in the official tests.

20. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

@(Comodo) Dragons Forever

21. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Being realistic, Comodo is great at blocking malware, too bad it's (by far) not designed for the average user. I really don't think they can do it simpler, layer upon layer, at some point it will need to ask if you want to quarantine or block or run in sandbox... I really don't see it being as popular as the other "nannys" that automatically take the decision for the user.

22. firzen771

yes, and they need to stop selling it off as if it was that easy to use and simple or perfect

23. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

The statement that Comodo is excellent at keeping a PC clean is up for interpretation. Basically Comodo uses all the tools in it's arsenal to detect and stop malware without your input, but at the end of the day, Comodo will ask you some questions that you're going to have to say 'yes' or 'no' to. This type of protection isn't something I can trust with less computer savvy users like my younger sister for example. In fact, there's a great population of users who will never appreciate this type of software on their system.

Chances are if you're smart enough to answer the popups it throws at you correctly, then you're probably smart enough to never have downloaded the malware in the first place.

24. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

quite correct, which is why i recommend NIS for less informed user and anyway most people see pop-ups as an irritant...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.