PC Mag about Kaspersky Security Suite

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by christophs, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. christophs

christophs Registered Member

2. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I notice they made no mention of how poor ZAs (vet) antivirus is :rolleyes:

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Maybe this will tell us the value of this evaluation.

"As a whole, Kaspersky Personal Security Suite 1.0 is an acceptable first effort, but it is no match for the more powerful and better-integrated ZoneAlarm Security Suite 5.5, our current Editors' Choice in the category."

In my mind also the av has some value in all Firewall & Antivirus combos. When a VET av is considered a valueable part of certain PFW & AV combo compared to Kaspersky av for instance, I haven't learn anything during these last years.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

FF, you have it right. Magazines have their own agenda, and the truth, it is not.

5. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

these tests are so annoying and worth nothing. either they are sponsored (norton and recently trend micro have done this a lot) or based on gut feelings and what looks prettiest, and not actual facts. if they seriously think ZA's AV is better than kav then there is something seriously wrong inside their heads. unfortunately their readers will probably take their advice :/

i wish people would wake up and stop being idiots

6. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

wow! hard to believe something being worse than zone alarm security suite. :p i don't think any of these magazines or websites do a thorough test of the products they endorse, nor do they test them for an extended period of time. i've chosen not to believe most of what i read nowadays where it concerns one person's opinion, or at least i tend to look at articles and reviews with more of a questionable eye. i think your right, diver, when you say that allot of magazines have a hidden agenda. there's really no other explanation for some of the crap being published!

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There in lies the problem with these security suites. I use ZA Pro(latest version) and I am quite pleased with the job it does. Would I use the ZA security suite? Nope. Don't think much of it's AV. No one would question the quality of the Kaspersky AV, but I trialed the security suite, and a couple of quick tests, and I said good bye.

First I went to the Eicar.org site. KAV hit on the com file, but when I tried the zipped files, KAV didn't alert till I actually hit the com file itself. Admittedly I don't know if this was a configuration problem. But then the firewall. I had it set up so it showed total stealth at GRC.com. Great, then I tried it agains PCFlanks, exploit test. It didn't pass, and I had a few fix up problems as a result. ZA Pro handles that just fine.

So while I might run KAV AV and ZA Pro, I wouldn't run either Security Suite.

What was said about Magazine reviews was quite valid in my mind, as PCMag was giving rave reviews to the early 5.0 ZA series, and people were having hell with it.

Pete

8. ninja_style

ninja_style Registered Member

you can always just use the anti-virus and disable the rest, the magazine is pretty fair, kaspersky anti-hacker is very weak as well as the anti spam or whatever it is, but AV itself is the best, hands down.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Agreed, I decided sometime ago to not renew the computer ones. I learn much more here and other such places. Minus all the pages of ADS. ;)

10. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yep, anybody who knows me, knows I do not like Suites. :p

11. g3453

g3453 Guest

PC Mag always forcing Norton and we all know how good it really is lol

12. meburke

meburke Registered Member

Well, let me tell you my experience with the Kapersky stuff: First, I tried it because it got a high rating from www.software-antivirus.com, which used to be a pretty decent site, and the customer I tried it on had multiple infections that disabled and corrupted his McAffee software. (I love that some AV apps allow you to password protect your AV files and settings!) Kapersky found and destroyed dozens of infections, some that McAffee didn't even know existed! How do I know? Because a couple of the infections had been on there over two years! Good job, right?

Well, I figured since it worked so well for that customer that I'd recommend it too a few others. Then I started getting complaints about Outlook not working and other minor annoyances, so I decided to test their software on one of my systems (mostly typical of what my customers use). Real-time protection interrupted my internet connection to the point I couldn't download e-mail through Outlook without turning it off first. But even worse, the Anti-Spam app prevented Outlook from opening at all! The Anti-hacker stuff also prevented Outlook from downloading e-mail, and screwed up a couple of downloads I tried through Mozilla Firefox.

So, I went to the forums at the Kaspersky website, and found multiple instances of the same problems. However, after suggesting that a tech respond to the posts with a possible solution, I got multiple e-mails from people who simply un-installed Kaspersky because tech support took too long to respond.

NOD32 pissed me off when i couldn't get updates, and now I'm trying Panda, which hasn't screwed me up yet.

It seems like this would be perfect BB to provide criteria rating and test information regarding different products, probably some test results posted to a sticky that gets updated occasionally, possibly also a "How to" on evaluating products. Let's face it: The mags aren't objective enough to provide any trustworthy results.

13. meburke

meburke Registered Member

Re: PC Mag about Kaspersky Security Suite-more

AAaaarrrrghhh! After all my whining about not being able to get updates:

Panda couldn't update either. And neither did AVG. Both gave me an error about not connecting to the update server. And, my Adobe updater quit working. But all the other stuff, Outlook, Mozilla, SSH, etc., still work fine.

So, just 'cause I have no other choices, I downloaded the latest eTrust EZ Armor (I still have a subscription), and it worked fine. I'm updating and running a scan as we speak, half afraid that something sneaked in and disabled my updating ability to premium AV software updates. As far as I can tell, nothing has been changed in my software configurations. I disabled the wireless connection and am hard-wired into the LAN, and it still didn't work. I have a 2-Wire router/DSL connection to sbcglobal.net, but nothing seems to be changed there, so unless the default protection in the router firewall is blocking updates from these sites, I have nothing to troubleshoot. (Actually, I have nothing to troubleshoot anyway. The AV companies aren't publishing the required connection parameters, there are no real-time connection status dialogs, and the error message is "connection failed" which is NOT a real message.)

If I did get some tricky little bug, I have no confidence that eTrust will find it.

29 hours of testing AV software, and I can't even find a product that will protect a wireless WindowsXP laptop without tricky configuration?

Pisser, huh?

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I think you have a damaged Winsock LSP chain, and have suggested a fix in your other thread.

Cheers :D

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Not anymore: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1761327,00.asp

"But now, for the first time, ZoneAlarm stands alone as our Editors' Choice. Detail after detail edged us over to the ZA camp."

Acadia

16. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That's because you are not using KAV 4.5. That is the superior version and it will alert on eicar zip. 5.0 won't and Kaspersky said they didn't think any users would care and that is why they dumbed down 5.0 personal. 5.0 is intended for OEMs and thus for the masses....not for us knowledgeable users.

17. Alec

Alec Registered Member

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by continually posting about your problems, in largely unrelated threads; especially when you apparently aren't willing to listening to any of the advice already offered. If you wish to seek assistance with your connectivity problems with multiple products, then I would suggest that you pick one on-topic thread and stick with it (perhaps this one, although it's title should be something more along the lines of "I have no idea what I've done to screw up my computer. Please help.").

18. What is wrong with Zonealarm's antivirus? Isn't it Computer Associates? What makes them "bad"?

My one problem with ZA w/ antivirus (I don't have the full suite) is that it seems to slow down my computer noticeably. 2.4 Pentium with 512MB ram and It seems very sluggish with ZoneAlarm w/AntiVirus running.

Thoughts?

19. zcv

zcv Registered Member

LOL, LOL

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.