PC hangs at login w/ NOD32 V4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by softtouch, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. softtouch

softtouch Registered Member

My PC occasional just hangs after I enter my login password (Vista Ultimate 32-bit), not always, but most of the time. Only chance i have it to try and try again, until I finally can login.

When I type my username, on the screen is just "Please wait" written, but the PC does not continue there anymore.

Might this be related to this?

http://www.eset.eu/knowledge-base/a...t-to-OS-Win-because-your-PC-is-getting-frozen

I first thought that defensewall is the problem, but after uninstalling defensewall, no changes at all.
    I then uninstalled Nod32, and the computer boot absolutely normal, did not hang a single time.
    Just to be sure, I installed Nod32 again, and the same thing happen.

The system logs do not have any entry about it... so I have no idea where to look.

2. ShadowMaster

ShadowMaster Registered Member

I'm experiencing the same on a Win XP install. Sometimes it just hangs when trying to login. Uninstalling Nod AV resolves the issue.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you try disabling automatic startup of the real-time protection module just to confirm or deny that it makes a difference? You can find this setting at the very bottom of the real-time protection setup.

4. softtouch

Where do I turn that off? I only see a groupbox with the title "Automatic startup file check" with a description below but no checkbox to turn it on/off.

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Under Advanced Setup\Real-time file system protection

Real-time.JPG

6. softtouch

Thanks. I missed that, thought its about the scan of startup files... my bad, sorry. Will test it later, when I have to reboot.

7. softtouch

Update: When turning of the System Protection, the PC will not hang anymore at login...

8. Biscuit

Biscuit Registered Member

I have noticed this happening with v4 several times, in those cases I install v3 instead.

9. softtouch

I think I will downgrade to 2.7, never had any issue with it, or even uninstall it.

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Could you pleasae try installing the latest version 4.0.424 and let us know if it makes a difference?

Should the problem persist, try to create a dump per the instructions here and let me know when done.

11. softtouch

I did, and at the first restart after installing the new version, it hangs right away. I booted twice, and it stopped at the message "Please wait..." after entering my login password.

I noticed something else, I forgot to mention. When that happen, my MS fingerprint reader does not work too, or is even OFF.

Disabling NOD32, and all issues are gone.

Will try to create the dump file, when I get the time for that. For the meantime, I just leave NOD32 disabled.

12. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Are you logging in to a domain or logging in locally?

13. softtouch

Locally, Vista Ultimate 32

14. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Very weird.. I would try uninstalling NOD32 V4, and then coming back into windows, and following up the manual uninstalling procedures to clear ESET out of the registry, and make sure it is gone. Run all Windows Updates I could, and then reinstall the new 4.0.424.. If that didn't work I'd then submit what I could to ESET, and go back down to 3.0.684..

You may try updating your NIC drivers or activate Debugging mode for the netlogon process to see what processes are hanging at login.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.