PC Flank Test

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rico, Jul 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

I did read that, if a router firewall is on PC flank test that & bit the software FW.

1. Will the software FW pick up (block) what the hardware FW misses?

2. I use KAV 2012 internet security, should I just disable the SPI in the router, and just use KAV?

3. Are we still testing the router with the downloat leak tester?

Rico

Note with SPI on & FTP server disabled, I get from Shields up ports 20, & 21 closed.

Turning the routers SPI off, FTP still disabled, now just KAV FW on, ShieldsUP still says ports 20, 21 closed

With SPI ON Pc flank reported ports 21, 135, 137, 138, 139 visible

With SPI off pc flank gave:

Then I went to GRC ShieldsUp re-run ports & 20 & 21 are still just closed.

Why the difference btwn GRC & PC Flanf, who do I trust?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Use both. It is unlikely anything unsolicited will pass by the router but your software fw will allow you to control outgoing traffic. You are only testing your software solution with leak testers

3. itman

itman Registered Member

Some software firewalls will close select ports rather than show them as stealth. I beleive Kapersky is one of them. Every manaufacturer has their own philosophy on this subject.

You should refer to Kapersky web site FAQS section or check its forums for further info.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

1st sorry you mean KIS (kaspersky internet security)

2nd after changing to your nat you should clean your cache to get new results

3rd it could be your modem as well which also work as nat router you pretty save behind it

4th grc get 1st results of what ever its scanning dont know about what is behind it so if your modem acting as router or router it never show your software results.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

I think the PCFlack tests are a bit flakey. I have run the suite test and it shows the NetBIOS ports 135, 137, 138, and 139 visible. When I run the tests individually, all ports are stealth.

NetBIOS is disabled on my OS installation and I know these ports on my router are indeed closed and invisible on the WAN side of the router. So again, I would not worry about what PCFlack shows.

I thought I explained previously why KIS shows the FTP ports as closed instead of stealth. It is by design. If that really bugs you, you can change the settings in KIS on how it handles FTP traffic. I recommend you leave those settings as is.

Do not fool with the SPI settings on your router! This is the most defensive feature of your router.

6. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I had the same results, suite compared to individual tests and Gibson's site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.