PC Flank Browser Test and Look'n'Stop

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Old Monk, Oct 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi there

I've done most of the PC Flank tests and Look'n'Stop passes admirably. However, the browser test gives this result -

Danger! While visiting web sites your browser reveals private information (called 'referrer') about previous sites you have visited.

Recommendation
    We advise you to get personal firewall software. If you already have a firewall program adjust it to block the distribution of such information (referrer)

Is this important to resolve and if so what settings do I need to change in L'n'S ?

Cheers

Jon

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

Hi Jon,

This is a browser privacy issue. Unfortunately, Look 'n' Stop doesn't provide a way to block that.
    If you are concerned about that, our recommendation would be to use another browser that includes directly this kind of feature (like opera, firefox...).

Frederic

3. Old Monk

Thanks once again for your quick response Frederic - great support.

The test was conducted using Firefox so I'll wait for Firefox users for more feedback on this issue and perhaps post on a different Wilders forum.

Cheers

Jon

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Thanks Don Diego. :D

6. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

7. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

8. Old Monk

9. amano

amano Guest

A local proxy like proxomitron could do the trick. It can filter ANY information that is provided in the http filters.

I don't know if LnS supports local proxys, some firewalls do not (Sygate).

For Firefox there is a UAswitcher extension from Chris Pederick which lets you override (=fake) the built in browser detection. That will trick 99% of all scan sites into thinking that you use a rare browser with BeOS or anything you want.

These things are NOT real privacy issues. The browser and Sun Java will simply TELL the site your OS etc on purpose. They are not tricked into doing so.

10. Old Monk

Hi Amano

Thanks for your feedback - I'll look at your recommendations as well.

Sorry, by this are you saying that the PCFlank browser test failure is not really a security concern as such ? This is unfamiliar teritory for me at the moment.

Cheers

Jon

11. amano

amano Guest

Sorry, I meant "http headers" in the first sentence.

No, it is NOT really a security/privacy concern. Websites know your OS, your browser and the sites where you came from because the browser tells this information and it doesn't leak it.

Some websites will break if there is an incorrect information or no information at all. If the websites assume that you have a special browser, they might show you modified version that is known to display well. And some sites rely on getting a very special referrer. Some detail sites may want that you come from the main site etc.

12. Old Monk

Hi amano

Thanks for your clarifiaction on that. Appreciate your help and I'll try and learn from the posted links.

Cheers

Jon

13. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Last edited: Oct 8, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.