PC-cillin Internet Security - anyone tried it ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

http://antivirus.about.com/cs/allabout/a/pccillin2004_2.htm

I have not tried to run za with pcc but acording to this article it works just fine. Click link for full article

The integrated firewall feature masks the PC in full stealth mode according to ShieldsUp! tests run at GRC.com. The PC-cillin firewall is not an application-specific firewall like ZoneAlarm, thus it does not prompt or block specific file access. I wanted the best of both worlds, so I reinstalled ZoneAlarm and ran it alongside PC-cillin with no difficulty. It is likely that neither ZoneAlarm nor Trend Micro would support such an installation (it's generally not advisable to run two firewall or two antivirus products simultaneously). However, the two are still merrily co-existing on my Windows 2000 system and I plan to perform a similar install to my Windows XP system.
    Mary Landesman

S

2. nameless

nameless Registered Member

That's the article I alluded to above (I didn't want to specify the exact review, since I thought it was a bit too cheesy :D).

I just initiated the PC-cillin Internet Security install, and it prompted me to remove ZAP. Maybe it will work fine without removing ZAP, I don't know, but I don't play fast and loose with my system, so I won't be finding out. I canceled setup.

Funny, with PC-cillin 2003, you could simply opt not to install the firewall component. Here, I've been running ZAP for eons, and Trend Micro presumes that I want to remove it to use their more-feeble replacement.

KAVP is working awfully for me, NOD32's IMON doesn't work well with Apache, I can't go back to Trend, no idea where to go from here... [not looking for responses]

3. bigc73542

Trend micro's firewall might be (febble) but it is a full stealth firewall that passed the leak test, That is all I need. :)

4. nameless

How can it pass a leak test, when it doesn't control outbound behavior on an application level (honest question)?

5. bigc73542

Well it seems you were correct it could not pass the leak test. It is almost comical what lead me to beleive it had passed. When I hit the test button on leak test it never said it could connect so I thought it must have passed . Well I ran the test again and watched a little closer and what had happened was that trojanhunter guard had removed the leak test app. and I couldn't see the pop up notice till I closed the page :doubt: At least I know trojan hunter works well.

- Trimmed image width to narrow thread

Attached Files:

6. bigc73542

I really liked the antivirus and some of the other modules in trend micro internet security. But since I screwed up on the leak test and was under the false impression that the firewall was better than it is and since I can't install it without the firewall I have just uninstalled it . That sucks. Oh well no one said life was easy. :oops:

7. bigc73542

After I unstalled pc-cillin internet security I rebooted and when I tried to open firebird it wouldnt open at all. I played with it a while then gave up and reinstalled it but it still would not open. I tried everything I could think of I even created a new short cut but it didn't work. what really pi##es me off is that black diamond was working perfect before I uninstalled pcc. I finally did a restore on my comp. back before pcc was installed. I still can not get it to open. Mozilla 1.5 will not work anymore either? I finally downloaded Opera and it seems to work well. but I will be darned If I can figure out what is going on. It is very suspicious That it screwed up at the same time I uninstalled pc-cillin. What is strange is that opera and internet explorer both work ok but mozilla and firebird wont at all. :mad: Any Ideas?

8. nameless

I am baffled as to why Firebird wouldn't open. And it may be a feeble offering of help, but what I usually do when stuff like that happens is to break out with Sysinternals Filemon and Sysinternals Regmon.

If you close all other applications (to prevent being bombarded with irrelevant log entries), then enable each utility just before trying to launch Firebird, you might be able to determine what is going on by the failure entries you see. The key word there is "might". :doubt:

9. bigc73542

I will give that a try and post back later to let you what happened.

10. bigc73542

Well after a lot more checking I still can't find anything that might be causing firebird and mozilla 1.5 from loading. The hard drive activity light goes like crazy for a moment then it quits and they wont load. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise, I never took the time to really set up opera before. Now that I have I like it better than the mozilla browsers. Which are still excellent browsers.Thanks for the as usually good advice on checking on a problem. Thanks again.

- removed unnecessary attachment.

11. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Just my 2 cents worth. I decided to give Trend Micro Internet Security a try. I'm using Outpost Pro v2. After I installed TMIS. I disabled it's firewall. I got a warning pop up that said if I disable the firewall, I also disable virus protection. Well I disabled it anyway just to see what would happen.

I'm no security expert, so I don't know if the test I did proves anything. I tried to download the Eicar test file and TMIS stopped it cold. I take it that means that the A/V is working. Right? TMIS and Outpost seem to be getting along together, so far anyway.

OS=XP Home

12. bigc73542

If it catches the eicar test it is working. I uninstalled tmis and when I did it took some files with it. Fortunatlly I had them on back up disc. But after uninstall mozilla or firebird for some reason will not run anymore. Even after two restores. Full format restores through boot up f10 recovery. I just can't figure it out. Thank goodness opera runs super good

13. Graystoke

Wow, not good. Makes me a little nervous. Well, I have GoBack installed. I'll run tmis a day or two and then try to uninstall. If bad things happen, I'll just do a revert of C:/. Hopefully anyway. :)

14. nameless

Well well well, looky here. It seems there is a way to remove the PC-cillin Internet Security firewall component. Apparently, you can have PC-cillin Internet Security installed without the firewall component, but you must install the firewall component when you install the product itself, then subsequently uninstall the firewall component separately.

This baffles me. How could they provide a way to uninstall the firewall component, but tell you upon initial product installation that you must remove other third-party firewall products, such as ZoneAlarm? Why force you to install it, and only then provide a way to remove it? o_O [Yup, that'd be one of those rhetorical questions. :blink:]

Can anyone confirm that the procedure outlined in the above-linked support document works? I might become a Trend Micro customer again if it does.

15. bigc73542

I don't which component of pcc did it but the first thing I had to do was reinstall my network card driver after uninstalling tmis.

16. Graystoke

Hi nameless. First of all, thanks for finding that information and posting the link here.

Well call me impulsive, but I decided to purchase the upgrade version of TMIS. I had PCC 2003 stashed away. :) I followed the instructions Trend Micro offers on how to uninstall the firewall, and it works. :D At this time TMIS and Outpost Pro are still running very nicely together.

17. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Works beautifully nameless, nice find :D............will let you know how it goes after a day or so ;).

Regards,
    Jade.

Edit= added screenshot

Attached Files:

18. nameless

The roadblock I ran into was that I am prompted to remove ZAP. If I say "No", PC-cillin setup exits. If I say "Yes", ZAP's uninstaller launches, and PC-cillin's setup exits (and won't continue unless ZAP is removed). The bottom line is that there is no (native) way to continue PC-cillin setup without removing ZAP.

Now, I've danced this dance before, with other software, and I know it's not hard to get around. I could just figure out what registry key(s) PC-cillin setup is looking at (my guess is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs), and temporarily rename them. Then PC-cillin's setup routine wouldn't bat an eye at my ZAP installation. Or, I could go ahead and remove ZAP, install PC-cillin, remove the PC-cillin firewall, then reinstall ZAP and restore its configuration using the XML file backup I have of the ZAP configuration.

But the way I look at it, if Trend Micro is that adamant about making life difficult, or getting me to remove the more-mature and better-featured firewall I've been using since the dawn of man, they must not want my money very much.

I'm hoping a forthcoming point release of PC-cillin lets you avoid firewall component installation in the first place, and I told Trend Micro how I feel (FWIW). If you agree, go to this web page, and select the appropriate "Contact Support" link on the bottom right. Tell them it makes no sense to force users to remove other firewall software before installing PC-cillin 2004!

19. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Wanted to comment on what I've read in this forum about TM "forcing" users to upgrade to the latest version: This morning I received an e-mail offer from TM to resubscribe for virus pattern updates to PCC 2002 at a reduced price. (This is the second such e-mail I've received in the last year. The first was to extend my 60 day trial to one year.)

So, for 2 years of updates to PCC 2002, I will end up paying around 29.00.

I installed PCC 2002 on one of my boxes back in January of last year, and haven't been badgered yet to upgrade at all.

Just wanted to relate my experience so far.

;)

20. nameless

I have to wonder about that account, which runs counter to the PCC 2002/2003 license agreement. I bought PCC 2002 long ago for one of my systems, and PCC 2003 for another, and have never received that kind of offer regarding either one (even though I am subscribed to the applicable "offers" and "newsletters" mailing lists). I also recently emailed Trend Micro, and was specifically told that no such virus pattern update discounts were available for PCC 2002 or 2003. Rather, I was told that my only option was to dump $25 on the entire PCC 2004 upgrade.

21. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

*shrugs*

Wonder all you want. ;)

YMMV. The version I have is an OEM version that came with a motherboard. Maybe that's the difference.
    :doubt:

Attached Files:

• pcc2.jpg
      pcc2.jpg
      File size:
      75.4 KB
      Views:
  22. nameless

Looks like the joke's on me then. Know why? Because I got en OEM copy of PCC 2002 with my Asus A7N8X Deluxe board, too--but I never used it! Reason being, I already had a licensed copy of PCC 2002 by that time, and I subsequently bought a PCC 2003 license for another system. So I ignored the OEM copy.

Looks like Trend Micro customers get punished for being customers. Nice. Typical. Thanks for the heads-up. And two BIG middle fingers to my buddies at Trend Micro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.