PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 Problem

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Yoff, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoff

Yoff Registered Member

While installing PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 I receive the message "UNABLE TO INSTALL KERNEL DRIVERS tm_cfw" Official site offers the following solution:

Manually updating the Personal Firewall Driver of Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007

Solution ID: 1033116
    A recent system upgrade added a ‘1’ or ‘2’ to old solution IDs. You find these solutions by removing or retaining the extra '1' or '2'.

Product: PC-cillin Internet Security - 2007
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Published: 11/7/06 2:38 AM
    Solution: To manually update the components of the PC-cillin Internet Security Personal Firewall, do the following:

1. Connect to the Internet.
    2. Download the Personal Firewall Driver file. Save it to your Desktop.
    3. Go to your Desktop.
    4. Extract the following files contained in the ZIP file you downloaded to the C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\Internet Security 2007 folder:
    • TmPfw.exe
    • tmCfwApi.dll
    • TmPfwRul.dll
    • TmPfwApi.dll
    • tmtdi.dll
    Note: Click Yes to all if it asks if you want to overwrite the files.
    5. Extract the tmtdi.sys and TM_CFW.sys files contained in the downloaded ZIP file to the following folder:
    • If you are using Windows XP, extract it to the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder.
    Note: Click Yes to all if it asks if you want to overwrite the files.
    6. Restart your computer.

I did everything according to the instructions but it didn't solve the problem. Does anybody have an idea?

2. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I don't know if this is any use to you but...
    I have had problems with this version of TMIS and their almost 'stock' answer has been;
    go to program files\trend micro\internet security 07
    find and run pcctool.exe
    click on tab E (uninstall)
    click on 4 uninstall
    go to <ftp://ftpuser:ftp-trend@ftp-download.trendmicro.com.ph/retail/TIS15/UnableToInstallMBD/TIS15InstallerFiles.zip>
    and download the latest installer (you may want to do this bit first!)
    unzip the installer and run the autorun (in the 'cd' folder)
    when prompted, select install, then minimum install (no firewall) after it has installed restart your computer
    after restart, go to program files\trend micro\internet security 2007
    run pcctool.exe go to E (uninstall)
    click 3 install firewall . After its' installed, restart your computer
    Of course, they may have already had you do this...
    Hope that this helps, argus :)
    note: I found that although TMIS will automatically activate windows firewall when its removed, it doesn't disable it when its installed, so check, I had both running at once, only noticed when I got a query box from windows firewall!

3. hydrostarr

hydrostarr Registered Member

I am getting a very similar error, but upon installation.

Where is this official site? Please provide a specific reference rather than just a toplevel site. Even better if you can provide a pointer to this specific document/reference.

What does this mean and how does one do it?

4. hydrostarr

5. hydrostarr

6. hydrostarr

No success on first try. pcctool.exe is nowhere to be found when performing a minimum install (without firewall). *sigh*

7. hydrostarr

This is getting fairly ridiculous; now whenever I open a Windows File Explorer, a PC-cillin 2007 installer-config dialogue pops up.

In my book: PC-Cillin used to be the "well-working" software when compared to Norton and McAfee; now I see PC-cillin heading down the bloatware path as well, if my early experience is any indication.

8. hydrostarr

I did find pcctool.exe in the extracted files created from the initial installation program (apparently the extracted files used to actually install the real locations), and I attempted to install the firewall as per the above instructions (using pcctool.exe), but had no success.

I'm still trying other things.

9. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

10. Schwadig

Schwadig Registered Member

Hi, everybody.
    I'm experiencing the same frustration when installing TIS 2007, this tm_cfw error abomination. Looks happening worldwide, too.
    I did everything they recommend on Trend site, with no positive results. It appears that the Personal Firewall service in Windows depends on the Common Firewall service , reinstalling PW is of no avail if CW is missing. See for yourself in the Registry how the key HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\TM_CFW\ is truncated.
    So, I leaved a message on the site, see on monday what they say.
    I can't believe it was so simple with PCCillin 2002 and 2006.
    BTW, on the Update Trend site, does anyone know what's the difference between the large TIS file and the smaller "update kit" file?
    Thanks.

11. hydrostarr

I got the PC-cillin 2007 installation to work properly on my previously-problematic machine (described above) by re-installing WinXP.

Like comments above, I didn't have these problems with revs 2006 and 2005--which as an aside, provided a much better user experience.

Some more info: the problematic flavor of my WinXP installation may be have been influenced by my trying to free up a bunch of space on the parition, including running the "compress old system files" stuff in "disk cleanup." On this problematic installation of WinXP, a PC-cillin 2007 installation _worked_ prior to this disk cleanup/storage-space recapture (more stuff than just "compress old files"). If I were TrendMicro, I might consider using this scenario in bug-dulication testing and analysis.

-Matt

12. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well that settles it, I got Trend Internet Security 2007 for Vista thrown in as a free bundle on my New Compaq Presario AMD 64 x2 Dual Core Machine, and after reading this I'll give it away to my sister or someone :blink:

13. hydrostarr

For what it's worth, my PC-cillin 2007 user experience is still worlds better than my previous McAfee and Norton products, but note--I have not used the M or N products recently, so they may have gotten better.

However, I find that some software vertical markets/apps tend to drift towards providing a worse user experience as they "bloat" with more stuff/features (unless it's running within the native Apple/MacOS "family"). Virus/firewall/protection apps are one of the most blatant violaters of this. And while TendMicro seemed to do a good job with this in the earlier years, from what I can tell of my most-recent experience, it is getting a bit worse.

But I still can't find anything else suitable in the commercial realm that's as good. My next step would be to try the open-sourced based protection/virus/firewall apps/systems; suggestions welcome (although maybe best made in a separate thread--I suspect such a thread may already exist somewhere?).

14. hydrostarr

I should also mention (before someone reminds me that my post may be a bit foolish): I don't know much about commercial virus/firewall/etc apps outside my small little world of McAfee/Norton/PC-cillin (the "big brands," I guess). After reading the sticky thread in this forum, I see there's many other choices.

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Actually I did decide to Install Trend, and did not Encounter any of the above problems, Maybe its Consistant with the program download from the Trend Website, as I got mine free as a bundle on a Trend CD :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.