PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 Beta Program

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chubb, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

when you turn on data theft, the spam for e-mail protective web site filtering & the wireless it totals out to better than 160, the spam adds from 29,222 to 84,836, the others are minimal, I still think that's a pretty heavy program anyway you cut it & it's 7 sevices running as measure by Tuneup Utilities...

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I installed it an hour ago here on my computer. I had a problem at first where it stated that it could not create the folder for the installation files. Then I noticed it was trying to create a folder "./XXXXXXXX". I just replaced the ./ with C:/ and it moved on.

I just tested the firewall on Shield's Up and it shows True Stealth and no Reverse DNS (I can only recall seeing the latter with Windows Firewall before). On past PCC's I always had to create a rule for Port 135 which was reported as not stealthed (closed).

I have everything on except wireless and data theft and TMProxy is showing about 74,000. I have to admit this is kind of high as I remember it being 45-50 on past PCC's. EDIT: However, like past releases, I have not observed any performance degradation.

What I did not expect however was the large first update. It is over 20MB and I am on dial-up. As soon as it finishes I will be performing the tests as per the Beta Test Script and report my findings and observations (want to hurry and get it in because I haven't had to pay for PCC since '04, lol).

3. midway40

Finally got that big update downloaded and installed. Some program modules were apparently updated which accounted for the size of the update. A nice touch was that when it updated the firewall it informed me it needed to turn the firewall off during it's update and asked me if I wanted to turn Windows Firewall on temporarily until the install was finished.

Scanned both of my drives (total 22GB used) in 30 mins and found a couple of spyware--ABetterInternet and Apropos. I also sent my completed script in.

Looks like I will be chillin' with the 'Cillin for a while :D

4. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

First let me say that I have a one year subscription to Trend Micro IS 2006 that is coming due October, 2006.

I decided to check out the new TMIS 2007 today. Install went without a problem. Had a big update, restarted, configured it the way I wanted. Ran a full system scan, and then a full spyware scan. Tested it at eicar.com. It caught everything. No loss in browing speed. At this point, I'm very happy with it.

I opened the beta testscript to check out what I had to do. Not really in the mood to answer a bunch of questions at that time, I decided to do it later. This is where things get really good. I opened TMIS 2007 again just to double check things. Just for the heck of it, I clicked on Renew Now in the Subscription section. I just wanted to see if my license key would work. I put in my TMIS 2006 license key, clicked on Register now, filled in the registration form, and waited. To my surprise, and I do mean I am surprised, I see that my subsription has been extended to July 25, 2007. I'm still having a rough time believing this. If this is not a mistake on their end, this is great PR for Trend Micro. Not too sure if any other AV company would do this. I am a very happy TMIS 2007 user right now. :D :D

5. midway40

Wow, that is a surprise! Unfortunately I lost my key some months ago because of stupidity (always write those keys down!) and I have been using Avast temporarily until this new Beta came out. Otherwise I would like to try that trick out too. I am leaning toward it being a mistake though because I was given new (different from the beta) keys as a participation gift on every beta since '04. But you never know, as someone once said over on the Neowin board “The Trend is your friend!” lol

Just some more observations. This is the first time I have ever noticed the absence of “Beta” in the window title name. Before I came online this evening, I got a red pop-up warning about PCC finding a spyware (one of those A#####.exe files that are hidden in the system restore files) and this was done realtime, without manual or automated scanning. As mrhero mentioned earlier this PCC has much improved heuristics which has been a weakness for TM until now. I decided then that I didn't need Windows Defender anymore and uninstalled it to save some RAM (I still have AdAware, Spybot and Spywareblaster for backups).

It also appears that they have integrated their separate Anti-Spam program that used to be only for Outlook but now works for OE as well. I believe that is what the TMAS_OE.exe and TMAS_ OE Mon.exe processes are for.

Only minuses I have noticed so far is the “nag” registration screen at bootup and of course the RAM usage which are kind of high (I noted this on my script submission). I am puzzled by the PcScnSrv.exe process which I cannot recall seeing in PCC before and am curious about it's function. Right now it is at 63,056K. Maybe it has to do with the new proactive defense. I may find out later as I consented to be part of their “elite” testing team (whatever that entrails—another first for them) on the script I sent in.

6. Graystoke

I was given a beta key also. But like I said, I just decided to give my key a try just to see what would happen. Maybe it was a mistake on their part, but I'd like to think that it was good PR by Trend Micro. It's a great way to increase their customer base, along with offering a good product also, of course. :)

If your old key is still valid, I know you can contact TM support and have them send you a copy. I also lost mine a couple of months after purchase. I contacted support and recieved the key in less than a day.

7. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Maybe we can welcome you ;) I'm already in this testing team, and we use Trend's new pro-active detections since March this year :D

8. larryb52

is it definately a new proactive defense? I used Trend till I found a couple trojans using 2005 version...

9. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Attached Files:

10. midway40

Thanks Sputnik, I hope I am chosen and can be of some help. :)

I notice you also run Fedora Core. I have been away from Windows for a while running Mepis and PCLinuxOS (Linux is the ultimate anti-virus, lol). But to run Linux you really need broadband for updates and I was tired of packing my tower to work to use it's T3 lines to update. Also I was missing some of my games as well, lol.

11. midway40

Thanks Chubb, I actually used that method once (during PCC 2005 I think) but for some reason I cannot log into my account anymore to retrieve my info (it states that it cannot find my email address on record and it hasn't changed in 3 years). I was considering contacting Customer Service but since I will probably be getting a new key once this beta is over I will just wait. Until then I will just have to put up with the "nag" screen, lol.

Graystroke, TM has always been good to me and answered any question I had. I once signed up to be a beta tester for Whistler (anyone remember that? lol) and all I got for my efforts was was a thank you form letter with Bill's smiling visage on it. :rolleyes: (that letter went into the trash can pretty quick, lol) I was at least expecting a discount for XP or something. TM takes care of you! :)

12. midway40

Sputnik, is the HouseCall Services link still a work in progress? When I open it I get what appears to be a part of TM's main page. Here is a shot of it (I am using IE7B3 if that makes a difference):

Attached Files:

13. Sputnik

Actually the new Heuristics are part of the upcoming new engine. We talk about scan engine v8.240. I think Trend Micro will aim to ship this engine with the 2007 release (it's not yet included in the 'normal' beta version).

14. Sputnik

I hope so too, however please notice that the updates the PUG members receive are bigger then the 'normal' updates. Normally ~900kb up to ~2mb a day. And sometimes over a 12mb. Something to take notice of while on dial-up.

Linux is very nice and I enjoy running it. I've been a KDE fan for a long time, but I just was not able to find a KDE orientated distribution fitting my needs. Fedora (GNOME orientated) just delivers very good security, is cutting edge and well supported by both company (Red Hat) and community worldwide.
    Once you have the possibility of having broadband, I can definitly recommend you trying it once.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  15. Sputnik

The HouseCall Services are still work in progress. Trend Micro is working on it's HouseCall range, and will also sell a program called "HouseClean" in the near future. It's a Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware package.

16. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well can anyone tell me about the firewall?i mean has it improved since the last version or not??
    And how is this beta,safe for beta?
    Well there was some internet problem due to which i couldn't be online since sat..

17. larryb52

what's the time table for release on 2007?

18. Graystoke

I've just run into a problem with PC 2007 beta. I just started up my computer after it had been turned off all night as usual. All startup programs loaded normally except for PC-cillin. When I hover my mouse over the tray icon, it said it's loading. I couldn't open any web pages. It was like my computer crashed. I did a reboot, and again the same message. As a matter of fact, it has been at least 5 minutes, and it is still loading. Everything else is working ok. I can't open PC-cillin to try to figure out what is causing this. I have everything enabled except for the spam filter. This has got me stumped. I guess I could try an uninstall/reinstall. Still loading.

19. Graystoke

Update......Before uninstalling, I tried reverting my HD, using GoBack, to a time yesterday when everything was working ok, . That didn't work. Tried to uninstall, but got an error message. Error about can't uninstall because of files missing. So I tried unistalling in safe mode, that didn't work either. Rebooted and was about to use GoBack again to a time before I had PC-cillin 2007 beta on my computer, but PC-cillin loaded up normally. I have no clue what could have caused this problem. I know it's a beta, so maybe that had something to do with it. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

20. midway40

Sputnik: The day I installed PCC2007 I had a 20Mb update, the day after it was 8Mb, yesterday it was 3MB and today 1.5Mb so I don't really see much of a difference, lol. I can handle a 12Mb update as long as it don't happen very often.

I used PCLinuxOS because of it's simplicity. It is perfect for those coming from Windows and just need a desktop OS. It was simple to set up and I hardly ever had to go CLI when I used it. I couldn't get into Gnome (Ubuntu) and liked KDE (with it's familiar Windows-like interface) which PCLOS uses. But I couldn't handle those 120Mb updates whenever a new version came out. I just wish they had something like AutoPatcher XP so I can download it at work, burn it to a disc, and take it home to update.

Thanks for confirming that about Housecall, I thought it was going to be something like that. :)

LegendKiller: I can tell you that before 2007 I had to modify some settings like port 135 and Netbios I believe to achieve a true stealth rating. With 2007 I got true stealth without having to adjust anything. Plus GRC told me that I had no reverse DNS which I don't think I was getting with earlier versions.

Graystroke: I haven't experienced that problem yet but did have a similar one with the 2006 beta I believe it was---whatever version they changed the tray icon in. I would put the cursor over it and it would say "initialising" for a long time. I would have to reboot it a couple of times and then it would start working. I reported this to the beta team at the time who let me know that they were aware of the problem and were working on it. A couple of days later after a update it started working ok.

21. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

For information only:

20% discount on PC-Cillin Internet Security, for new purchase and renewal!!!

Go to http://www.trendmicro.com/buy/us/personal.asp

(1) Click Buy Now for $49.95 (PC-cillin Internet Security)

(2) Then click Buy Now for "PC-cillin 2006 (12-months) - Digital - $49.95"

(3) Click "No Thanks" to "Upgrade to the Home Security Pack!"

(4) At the "My Shopping Cart", click the backward page button (pretending to try to access the previous page) and the 20% discount window will appear, saying "Don't Leave Yet, save 20% Now"

pccillin2006discount3dn5.jpg

The 20% discount also applies to renewal.

Go to http://www.trendmicro.com/buy/us/personal.asp

(1) Choose Upgrade / Renew Now

(2) Near the bottom of the page, click on Renew with Extension Key

(3) Click Buy Now for "PC-cillin Extension Key - Digital - $24.95"

(4) At the "My Shopping Cart", click the backward page button (pretending to try to access the previous page) and the 20% discount window will appear, saying "Don't Leave Yet, save 20% Now"

Attached Files:

22. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

I am using it for some time now and would say i am very very impressed with the new version,the UI as usual is great,the new proactive defense is good and firewall looks to be more effective than the last 2006 version...
    But unfortunately i can't seem to find where all the apps rules are listed,so as to modify them...
    And also trend-micro is also advising you on which sites are not safe and@@@..
    One of them being getright forum..
    And yes,i was very very surprised to see a 19mb update,i even called a friend in night to enquire if he also had to update...:D :D :D :D

23. Graystoke

I sent off an e-mail to the beta team about this. Hopefully they will take care of this. I also ran the 2006 beta also when it first came out. I didn't run into this problem with that one though. Oh well, different computer, different software. ;) :)

24. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Reading all the trouble with these 'big' suites: Go for the 'good' standalone products and you'll fly like a butterfly!
    New Avira Antivir + firewall (beta): just great scanner, you won't notice it's there. Uninstalling: no problems, whatsoever. Nod32 + Kerio 2.15 Firewall: great couple, you won't notice it's there!! Besides both scanners you can run Ewido 4.0 Anti Spyware: Just great, light en all the protection you'll need.
    Forget about those 'big' all-in-one programs.......You need very modern computers with lot's of Ram to run these buggers!

25. midway40

Benvan: "Reading all the trouble with these 'big' suites..."

You are aware that we are discussing a BETA suite here, are you? To tell you the truth I was trying out NOD32 before this beta came out and I only have noticed a very slight slowdown in speed (which is to be expected it being a suite). Compared to Norton and McAfee suites, TM runs rings around those. Some people want to run suites, some don't. It would be a very boring world if everyone did the same thing. So what if it takes up more RAM than others, if you got the RAM, use it, that is what it's there for (running Linux, which uses RAM more effectively, made me realize this some time ago). As I stated before, if I wanted to do something like play COD2 (I don't play online since I am on dial-up) all I do is exit TM in which (unlike other AV's such as Avast! and even NOD32) it kills all of its processes from memory thus freeing up the RAM I need. [EDIT: all except one, TMAS_OEMon, but it was only like 4MB]

And being a beta you can expect some large updates as they tweak the system. I was only surprised that they had one so soon after the initial beta release. After the beta is over and things are more firmly locked down then you won't be seeing them that often. Most of the "big" downloads afterwards are anti-spam related and was around 4MB maybe once a week (or it was like this in 2006 version). Every now and then you will see a bigger update for the main program or such.

Graystroke, I hope you get your problem solved soon. At least we know we have an "insider" among us, Sputnik, who can give us the info on the developments of the ongoing beta (soon I hope to be privy to that info too, lol).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.