PC-cillin 2007 Antivirus + Anti-spyware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pipester, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pipester

pipester Guest

I see Trend Micro has a new anti-malware product like AVG, has anyone tried this yet ? I haven't used a Trend Micro product in years, but thought about trying this one. I like the antivirus/spyware scanner combinations. Your comments welcome...

2. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

this isn't a anti-malware/spyware product,but their antivirus only version...until now they probably use to release complete security suite only..

3. pipester

pipester Guest

According to their website, it's antivirus and anti-spyware protection combined in one package, new for 2007.

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes its just their single-style product what they used to always produce before they had a firewall, gives users the same near-enough but without the firewall.

this is what i always thought it was anyway.

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

TMIS already had an AS element incorporated into it since '06 I believe. It was about this time a new process, TMAS.exe, showed up in my process list.

I had tried their AS only program--I believe it was 3.0--but wasn't overly impressed with it at the time.

6. pipester

pipester Guest

I purchased and installed Trend Micro Antivirus+AntiSpyware 2007 today, I have to say, this is a really nice program. Installed quickly, but I had to manually install it from the setup folder, autorun feature would not work. Updated without a glitch and the first scan was almost as fast as Nod32's scanner, this was very impressive. Default settings are more than adequate protection for a main stream user. Trend Micro has come along way since I last tried one of their products, much has improved from what I remember. Will keep the group posted as I learn my way around this program.

7. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Sounds good. Let us know how it goes.

8. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

its excellent,i did use it for a while when it was released in jan..

9. midway40

I installed TMIS '07 Vista updated version this evening. So far it has been doing ok. I did a scan and along with some cookies it also detected an Astlog keylogger and BestOffers adware (the BestOffers was just sitting in IE7's cache, apparently the protected mode kept it from installing). And I was using NOD32 before which didn't see any of this.

I noticed it shut down WinDefender and replaced it with it's own AS which will evoke no tears from me since I didn't care much for WinDefender anyway, lol.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Anyone have any problems restoring a file (say eicar) from quarantine. I tried it and TM IS 2007 just stopped responding while it was trying to restore the file back to it's original place. :(

11. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Trend Micro 2007 worked fine for me as well untill I moved to Outlook 2007. spam toolbar won't work with Outlook 2007.
    I must say I haven't tried the Vista version.

Could you please confirm it isn't working as well?

12. midway40

I cannot confirm it because I do not use Outlook 2007. I do have Outlook 2003 but I am not using it, instead I am using Windows Mail (Outlook Express successor) because it is all I really need. I just created a rule for "spam" in the headers so they will move into the Junk folder when TMAS tags them.

I remember from dealing with TMIS in the past that the TMAS Outlook program is separate from the internal antispam program. The install program is in a folder by itself in the TMIS directory. I will have to check it out when I get home this evening and get back with you on it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  13. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

"I remember from dealing with TMIS in the past that the TMAS Outlook program is separate from the internal antispam program."

That's correct. In TMIS07 if You use Outlook toolbar there is no need to enable AntiSpam feature in Options, because it would use some extra recources.

14. sasa843

There is one more thing. When I used TMIS07 I had a problem with updating AntiSpam. I enabled toolbar and when I update PcCillin from it's main program AntiSpam pattern was updated but not in a toolbar just in a main program. So I would run another update from Outlook's PcCillin toolbar. I am not sure if this is corrected in the latest version or this should be like this.

15. midway40

I think that is the way it is designed. Since the OAS program is separate from the main program, the updates has to be done through OAS. The OAS signatures are much larger than the internal AS (from what I remember).

You do make a good point of not having the internal one on when using OAS, it would be a waste of resources.

16. sasa843

Otherwise, this is a great suite, but I have only 256 mb of memory so it had a big load on my recources. Recommended from me.

Best Regards...

17. midway40

18. midway40

I just tried to install TMASOE but the setup app doesn't work. It may be because it doesn't see OE as it is now referred to as Windows Mail.

I did find this on TM's site:

"Problem: The Anti-Spam Tool Bar is installed automatically with Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007. If you cannot see the Anti-Spam Tool Bar in Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express, it was not installed correctly.

Solution: To resolve the issue, reinstall the Anti-Spam Tool Bar by uninstalling PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 and installing it again."

I assume from this that now it looks for either OE or Outlook and then installs the appropriate AS program. In the past it was a separate manual install.

19. sasa843

Or just try to uncheck and then check again AntiSpam Toolbar in the main program. If I remember correct this should also help.

Best regards...

20. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

Any screenshots,please?

21. midway40

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  22. midway40

23. midway40

24. midway40

25. midway40

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.