PC Card = Wireless Card? (Totally lost...)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sonnyrizo, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonnyrizo

sonnyrizo Registered Member

My brother found a 3Com Fast Ethernet 10/100 Base-TX PC Card at his workplace, with no manuals or anything. Recently, I bought a Dell Inspiron 1200 with no wireless card, and I am trying to figure out if this PC card he found is of any use to me.

I was thinking of buying a wireless card (I don't know the proper industry name) so I could use my notebook wirelessly just as he does. I'd like to know if this PC card can help me accomplish this.

To be honest, I don't know the difference between NIC (Network Interface Cards) and wireless cards. I popped this PC card into my notebook, and XP detected it. However, I dont know where to go from there.

I am guessing I have to do more than simply putting the card in....installing drivers, changing settings, etc.

If this PC card will do the job for me, I won't have to buy a wireless card.

My brother has a Dell Inspiron 1150 and it came with a wireless card. Therefore, he didn't have to install anything to use the Internet wirelessly.

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

From the name of the card, it is for a wired ethernet connection running at either 10 or 100 Mbps. You'll need to spring for another card if wireless is the goal.

Blue

3. sonnyrizo

sonnyrizo Registered Member

I've done some more reading and it turns out it NOT a wireless card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.