PayPal Plans to Ban Unsafe Browsers

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Just about all phishing emails involve financial companies and businesses. Don't believe in urgent electronic messages. If it was REALLY that urgent, they would find you and call you. Period.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Can they tell how my browser is set-up? Can they tell that I am running NS, for instance?

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I don't know about NS (assume you mean No Script?) or how the browser is set up but they sure can tell which browser you're using ;) the ss is just the eighth frame from a Wireshark capture, opening my home page.

Attached Files:

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Are they just looking at the browser and version, or whether you've actually got anti-phishing active? I've disabled it in both Firefox and IE7 since it seems to slow things way down, and common-sense browsing will probably do 99+ percent of the job anyway.

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Will MSIE be considered as a safe browser by Paypal ? I'm 100% sure it will.
    Which browsers are unsafe, any names ?

7. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

They can indeed Bellgamin, its a scary cyberspace. :)

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

And if they can, will they consider your browser unsafe? :D

9. ErikAlbert

Paypal doesn't have to blame browsers. Paypal has to improve its login procedure.
    An email-address and a password and that is called security. Pffft. :rolleyes:

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Couldn't agree more.

12. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Well quite a few websites use just those two items to log into an account.. :blink:

13. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

At least with these VB forums, unlike the username, the password is going out as a MD5 checksum, not in plain text as it does in some others like betanews.com. I don't know how secure the checksum is, but it has to be better than plain, visible text.

14. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

A very strange way to handle things.

If you are using the wrong browser, phising sites of PayPal would still work
    :D

I assume these phising sites are not so critical in accepting data from a customer they have spoofed, or care which browser they use.

And of course, in some browsers you can set the browser it has to pretent.

Paypal would be wiser if the made client (and server) software and would only allow connections based on a public and private key instead of using browsers if a paypal transaction is made or a connection is needed.

But i guess that would take a few years before they understand that.
    It is just like banking software here, you must set your browser in the most unsafe mode to be able to make transactions.

15. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Actually they have. You now have the option(Fob is $5.00) of using a FOB, like the banks do. Once it's activated, Username and password no longer get you in. You need the fob, and the number it will generate.

Pete

17. ErikAlbert

Well, it wasn't fast. :D

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i read a while ago that paypal warned people not to use safari browser because its doesnt have the essential anti phising protection.
    be quite funny if they banned safari before IE

19. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Paypal should improve their own things, not target other buisness's.

20. Long View

Long View Registered Member

PayPal - I hadn't realized they were still in business

21. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

The way I interpret the initial statement, "unsafe" would be defined as any browser not running an anti-phishing filter. I agree with MikeBCdahe that having the filter enabled in IE slows down browsing considerably. I only have access to dial-up, so it is much more noticeable for me than it would be for someone with a high speed connection. Most of the time I use Opera, which has a built-in anti-phishing filter that doesn't slow down my browsing at all. The only problem, however, is that there are many sites where other browsers just don't work when attempting to do financial transactions, so I end up having to use IE, which I really don't like to do. I guess a simple solution would be to turn on IE's filter only when visiting PayPal (or other sites that require such), then turning it off again afterward if it slows down your browsing speed.

22. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Ebay bought it. You would have to get rid of ebay in order for Paypal to go under. ;)

23. jfd15

jfd15 Registered Member

they are...very convenient, lets me make semi-disposable CC's for one-time use internet purchases, lets people send money to my account instantly unlike the dumb bank transfers, which take 2-3 days at least.......i wish i could buy their stock, am not int. in buying ebay stock though....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.