path length error

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by norm925, Aug 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. norm925

norm925 Registered Member

I just purchased paragon partition manager pro v11. I made a backup of someone's hard drive and then tried to restore the files. For the most part, it worked except for 85 file errors most of which say "Path length is longer than maximum length of full path"

I have a few questions related to this: why this is happening with these specific files? where are the log files stored after restore so that I can at least see which files didn't get transferred?

any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Please try to restore files to not mounted volume.
    There was Paragon KB article with the solution , but I can't find it to provide you a link.

Please see instructions:

You can create new partition without Drive Letter or temporary remove Drive Letter from any existing partition (except System partition, usually C:). You will be able to assign Drive Letter back later.

To remove Drive Letter please do the following:
    * Run Paragon program (you may need to switch to Full Scale Launcher)
    * Right-click the required partition in Disk Map and select 'Remove Drive Letter' (please select any partition with data, not system partition)
    * Apply changes

To restore file-level archive to unmounted partition:
    * Go to Archives tab
    * Right-click your file-level archive and select 'Restore Files'
    * In the Wizard click Next
    * Mark the entire archive to restore and click Next
    * In the 'Restore files to' select 'Specific Folder'
    * In 'Look in' select your unmounted partition (without drive letter) in Physical Partitions section, click Next
    * Review the summary, click Next
    * Click Finish
    * Apply changes
    * Wait until Restore will be completed

To export files to desired destination:
    * Go to Disk View tab and select Volume Explorer
    * Find your unmounted partition and open it to browse
    * Navigate to required files
    * Right-click necessary files one-by-one and select 'Export'
    * Set the desired destination and click OK
    * Wait until operation will be completed.

To avoid such situations in future please do not create folders and files with very long name or path, because it could make them unusable.
    The number of characters in the complete path name (both file name plus all subdirectories) should not exceed the file system limits. The maximum size of the path name depends on your operating system. As a general guideline, long path names greater than 100 characters might cause problems.

Once all necessary files are restored, you can assign Drive Letter back:
    * Run Paragon program
    * Right-click the required partition in Disk map and select 'Assign Drive Letter'
    * Select the desired Letter and click OK
    * Apply changes
    Then please remove restored files.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.