password required to restore - but I did not set one!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by paulserjeant, Nov 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulserjeant

paulserjeant Registered Member

Hello,

I signed up to a free trial and used Acronis to take a backup.

I am/was all ready to buy the product ... and then I have a problem and all my data was wiped.

Therefore I have built a new XP Professional o/s. To get it working I have a new motherboard and mac address. Then I installed another free trial of Acronis ready to restore the backups. One worked fine but the other keeps asking for a password and yet I am certain I never set a password on this backup.

If I can get over this I will certainly buy a proper copy of Acronis ... please help!

Thankyou,

Paul

2. Matador

Matador Registered Member

Hi.
    I am having the same problem as you. I made a backup last friday of an entire partition. After reinstalling Windows, I accessed the backup several times to restore certain folders/files. Today, I tried to restore some more documents when suddenly, the backup was password protected o_O
    I didn´t believe what I was seeing. I am sure I never used a password for this backup archive but now it has.

Any suggestions?

3. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Light begins to dawn perhaps !

I wonder if the problem is due to the SID's being different due to the re-install of TI. I don't see why this should be the case as it obviously restricts somewhat the usefulness of a imaging software, but it might be one of the things that happens with the trial version.

What happens if you try to use the recovery CD to access the image(s)?

Colin

4. Pleming

Pleming Registered Member

Same situation - backed up email with trial software and after resinstalling XP Pro am asked for a password to be able to recover.

Any solution as very silly and did not use any other method of backing up my numerous emails

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello paulserjeant, Matador and Pleming,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please describe the issue in more details?

- Where have you stored the image archive (local or external hard drive, CD/DVD discs or another storage media)?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step and create a screen shot of the window, where the password was asked.

Please also follow bodgy's advice and create Acronis True Image Bootable CD, boot you computer from it and try to restore the data from the image archive. Please let us know the results.

In addition, please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

6. CerKar

CerKar Registered Member

hello, i ve been having the same problem. after reinstalling windows i wanted to do recovery of several files from my acronis back-up file - through the usual way i.e. just browsing the *.tib file. but it started asking me for password so i cant get into it. wierd is, that i can normally "recover" throughg recovery tool but only through that...the same probmlem occures with newly backed-up files now, even though i do not set any passwords there and again, only recovery tool works here. o_O

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello CerKar,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure you use the latest build of Acronis True Image. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

If the issue persists, please collect the information requested by Aleksandr Isakov in the previous post. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.