password query

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by yorkshire Lass, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yorkshire Lass

yorkshire Lass Registered Member

This is my first post after downloading and installing Acronis. I don't have a proplem with the programme but with my own inexperience! I have successfully made a bootable disc and done a complete back up to a partition on my hard drive (Windows XP Home SP2). I now want to schedule a weekly incremental back up. However, every time I get to the user name and password, I get an error message saying that the details are incorrect. So my question is, which user name and password am I supposed to use? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am only a learner!! Thanks for any help in advance.

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

This is the username and password of the windows account you want True Image to run under. It is usually best to create a dedicated account for this, but you don't have to.

F.

3. yorkshire Lass

Well that was interesting! I tried using the password for my bt yahhoo internet account angd got the same error message and when I tried to find a system account password I couldn't find one. So I didn't put any password in and it appears to have gone through ok. I've scheduled it for tomorrow morning, so I'll report back! Thnk you very much from Bridlington for your kind help!

4. surveyor

surveyor Registered Member

Mostly there must the computername or domain before the username like

computer\username

or

domain\username

5. BraytonAK

BraytonAK Registered Member

This would indicate to me that you have no password on your Windows login. It's not unusual, really, but it's not secure. Windows normally requires someone to log in before showing their desktop. If your computer goes straight to the desktop without prompting for a password or Username, then it was either set to log in automatically or there is no password, allowing it to continue.

This is why TrueImage worked without a password. It's similar to another person on a network that you're using seeing your system on the network and trying to access it by just not using a password. Free ticket to your files.

You can set a password in the User Account control panel. Then you'd need to edit your True Image job so that it has this password.

6. yorkshire Lass

Thank you to everyone for your help! I've set a new user password and edited the scheduled task and everything is working ok. I hadn't realised that not having a user log in password could leave me open to problems, although I am the only user here at home. However, my husband is talking about getting a wireless lap top for himself so I guess that would make us vulnerable to people outside the house. Many thanks once again for the very useful and instructive advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.