Password protecting a specific program?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Is there any way to prevent a program from starting without you first putting in a password? I'm looking for a simple solution that would be accessible to people who aren't good with computers.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

UAC on a limited account works. For programs that don't need admin rights, Right click > Properties > Compatibility > Run this program as an administrator. If that doesn't work, try Change settings for all users.

3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

i've seen programs like that but haven't tried any of them. for example, Program Protector ($30) or WinGuard Pro (free). I saw both at MG's security downloads section: http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads16.html

There are also lots of programs intended for locking and/or hiding files and folders. I think most of them are intended to protect sensitive documents, photos or movies, but maybe you could use them to lock down application exe files just the same?

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

There's Empathy as well, which works on XP, but modifies your files.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Unfortunately running some programs as Admin will break them.

I'll try these out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.