Password protect DVD or CD?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by vei9, Mar 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vei9

vei9 Registered Member

I've got a whole bunch of photos that are burned to DVD and CD and I would like to password protect the entire discs. Can this be done without downloading extra programs, either in Windows or OS X?

Thanks!!!

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

Can be done with Nero Burning ROM, using the function "SecurDisc".

3. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

In my opinion the easiest method is encrypting prior to storing on a CD (saves you the trouble of propriety solutions). Do you have any compression programs currently? You can store the photos in encrypted compressed archives prior to burning them to say a DVD/CD-R. I know you do not want extra software, but I'd advise you to look at 7zip or Truecrypt for your needs with this, even if it is just as a starting point.

I am not sure the sensitivity of the photos, however to store them properly you will need to copy them off the DVD/CD and reburn to a new one. After which you probably want to destroy the original disks.

-EB

4. vei9

vei9 Registered Member

Thanks for the quick answers guys,

Well the sucky thing is that I have already burned several thousand pics to my DVDs this afternoon (boy that took forever) and I was hoping there was a way to protect the data on there after the fact. Like, is there a way to force entry of a password in order to even open the contents of the CD/DVD?

Maybe there isn't and I am SOL! Haha! Oh well, they are just family photos anyway. Thanks guys.

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I would just encrypt the whole disk using truecrypt, that way you can put it in and open with a truecrypt password. Problem with password protecting is the disk can be read even without a password if no encryption is present.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.