Password needed - why?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jimrx4, Nov 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LibertyZ

LibertyZ Registered Member

Has anyone found the answer to this issue. I am experiencing the same problem. I used a DVD-RW and installed "Rebootable Disc Media". Then using the Backup Wizard I created a Full System Backup on the same disc, and also a second dvd-r disc to complete the backup process. When I tried to view the contents of the first disc my dvd drive showed that the boot file existed and also the backup file existed. When I tried to "open" or "explore" the file I was prompted to enter a password I had created. I never had created a password......The next day I completed the same steps as the day before except while in the wizard I selected to "set the options manually" and then created a password. I completed the process and saved the boot disc and first backup to a dvd-rw and backup disc 2 to a dvd. After completion of the discs creation I again tried to open and then explore the contents of disc 1. I was prompted to enter a password, did so and the same empty password prompt kept reappearing. I am still using the product during the 15 day free trial. If I can't get it to work I surely won't purchase. I read the complete help files before trying to use the product so I don't get it.

2. GaryD

GaryD Registered Member

LibertyZ,

The answer to this is that TI10 requires all the parts of the backup to be available at the same time. The password box is a complete red herring. I spent two days after Christmas working this out and proving it and I did write a huge post in reply to you that seemed to get flushed down some forum waste pipe somehow. The gist of what I was going to tell you was that I found that you can only explore a backup in windows explorer when all the file s that make up the backup are copied to a backup location on the hard disk - then you can see the backup contents.

I personally think that the password box should be changed when appropriate to an info box saying something like "backup unable to be read because....".

Hope this helps....

Regards and Happy New Year!

GaryD

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello LibertyZ,

As Gary indicated, you cannot Mount or Explore an image that has been split across two or more CDs/DVDs. All the separate .tib files need to be copied from the CDs/DVDs into a common folder on your hard drive first.

Regards

4. bxf

bxf Registered Member

I must refute some of the preceding comments.

I have the same problem, regardless of whether the image is on a DVD or my HDD. In either case the image is under 3GB and is not spread across more than one device.

Perhaps whoever is trying to debug this will find the following useful: the problem, in my case, occurs only after I use the Explorer SEARCH function on an archive, and it pops up only once the search hits one of the compressed Windows Update $NTUninstallKB...... files in the WINDOWS directory - not necessarily always the same one (I think).

Strangely, once the problem appears, it persists even when switching to a different archive, on a different device, etc. Whereas a reboot stops the message from appearing, I found that KILLING (not just simply stopping) and restarting Explorer also solves the problem.

5. ambush19

ambush19 Registered Member

So THAT's the culprit! :mad:

I never even suspected True Image 10. All I knew is that every single time I did ANY kind of Windows search (after installing TI10, it's only now clear), the password request dialog comes up and WILL NOT go away except by aborting the search itself. Not only that, but there is NO indication anywhere of what file may be involved or where it was located! It was maddening, because not only didn't I know what was going on, I didn't even know what file or what software was involved! This was certainly not related to any attempt to use TI 10 again or even read a TI log.

I had never password-restricted anything on my system, let alone a True Image backup or anything related to it.

This is not the first time I've had terrible problems with one or another version of True Image, and this situation is quite outrageous.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

I would like to inform you that this issue has been forwarded to Acronis Development Team and they are already working hard on fixing it. Most likely, the fix will be implemented in the next build. We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.