Password Manager Discussion.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mayahana, Jan 28, 2015.

1. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Actually, no, I wouldn't. I'm still waiting for them to get the browser part right. You'd think I could just browse the internet without having to switch browsers because a site doesn't work. Goes for all of them. I don't trust any of them to make a secure password manager.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, it doesn't make any sense, they have always been crappy and insecure. I don't really want a third party manager to integrate with my browser, and I don't even like most of them (hated RoboForm), that's why I'm bothered by this stuff.

3. 142395

142395 Guest

I agree with Jack. When browser vendor even don't do their job and adding many unnneeded (yes, for me!) craps, why I can expect they can make strong and polished pwdmgr? Firefox and some others have master pwd, so that is close to what you guys want I think, but still not bullet proof. And anyway such pwdmgr will be browser specific, unless one use 3rd party addon to synchronize them (isn't it great risk?).

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

To clarify, I'm not talking about a super advanced and full blown password manager, but just a simple and secure one. It would make sense to offer this inside the browser, yet they refuse to do it. On the other hand, it did open up a whole new market for password managers, sadly I'm not really into most of them.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

There is a link on the freeware page in the paragraph marked basic features but it is only 3 dots
    Really
    My firefox plug in works perfectly (keefox for firefox browser integration) there are a lot of plugins

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  6. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Dashlane was probably the best that I used/liked the most.

I don't use it now, as I try to limit software installations on my PC, especially if I can find a better way to utilize such features (Keeping it encrypted in a safe place or from memory).

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Yeah Dashlane is by far the best PW solution. It just works.. It never has issues. 100% compatibility with everything. Only complain is sorting could be better, otherwise - it's great.

Customer support stinks, and it's expensive. I tried Lastpass again and found it lacking in comparison. Tried Roboform last night, and it felt like a 1990's product. I might buy a year of Dashlane, then wait out a 'deal' such as Black Friday, and extend it for 2 more years after that for some deal.. Hard to say.. But wrestling with their support is - challenging.

8. Rules

Rules Registered Member

Uhm, Keepass since a lot of years, i don't trust cloud storage, all passwords printed, and put in a safe place in my home, yeah i know old school:D

Rules.

9. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I started using Dashlane again (tried Sticky Password for a few months after I got a free license), but Dashlane is just overall perfect. Never had any problems with it, so I haven't had any need to contact customers service. But definitely buying another license next time it's on sale.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Where have you found DashLane on sale?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  11. bigwrench9

bigwrench9 Registered Member

Good day all..... been lurking, just thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. Been using The Webroot Password Manager that is bundled with my WSA complete. It shows up on all 5 PC's that have WSA installed, and makes moving from pc to pc quite simple. Anyone else using it? I have Norton Security with backup 2015 running alongside it, but have never utilized Norton's Identity Safe password manager. Also, I have 300+ passwords set up. Works Great.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe the WSA password manager is a rebranded LastPass and yes it works fine. I prefer to use LastPass Premium, so I can keep password management separate from my other security products, but they're the same.

13. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I tried 3-4 more password managers last night, and came running back to Dashlane again. I reloaded LastPass again, hated it, wiped my passwords and changed the master-key to a gigantic one to secure the account for 'hibernation'. Seeing LastPass affiliated with WSA reduces my confidence in Lastpass somewhat, but I just don't find it good compared to Dashlane.

Now if we can find a Dashlane coupon code or sale... Haven't had any luck yet, but when my 30 days runs out I will buy it regardless.

14. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I haven't tried DashLane yet. The only thing I find lacking with LastPass Premium is credential creation is unreliable; when first creating a login name and password LastPass will offer to save it, but the URL is incorrect (because the account creation page is different from the login page). LastPass doesn't know how to sort this and I have to manually correct the URLs. If DashLane handles all of this automatically that would be convenient. I don't know that it would be worth 3X the subscription cost to me though, but I may have to run the 30 day trial and find out.

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Yes! Credential creation is very buggy in LastPass. Have you also noticed if you change a password, Lastpass sometimes goes brain-dead, and doesn't update the credentials properly? Dashlane is 'smart' and seems to know how to correct login pages, and fix broken URL's automatically, as well as never screwing up credential deployment. This was a deal breaker for me with Lastpass, it just kept messing up too much. Dashlane is actually very close to perfect, probably the only PW manager that's close to perfect in all the areas that matter.

16. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Let's keep an eye out for a coupon :)

17. faircot

faircot Registered Member

I contacted Dashlane's support about this yesterday. There isn't a coupon or competitive discount to be had, I'm afraid.

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Good news. Support extended my trial to 6 months! Now I have 6 months to watch for discounts and deals, or all told - 8 months of free use. Basically what happened was I took advantage of the 6 month free referral. They couldn't activate that, so they extended my 30 day trial by another 30 days. Then after the 60 days was up, I inquired as to if they would honor the 6 months, and was told no. I escalated it within their support structure, and then was told they would extend it another 6 months.

I have deleted my LastPass account for security reasons, and have fully migrated to Dashlane. As soon as I find a 'deal' I will renew Dashlane for 3 years.

19. fax

fax Registered Member

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Heck, LastPass can work with anything that supports a bookmarklet. I don't see the hype of Dashlane, unless you're willing to pay that price premium.

21. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I second this.. No reason to pay more than 3 times more just because it handles better a new credential creation...
    Lastpass still is the most flexible system since it works with any platform and it has shown its reliability over the years.

Fsecure-Key really sucks, I uninstalled it. Their way of autofilling is crazy when you have many passwords stored.

22. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

A few things Dashlane does better than LastPass.

1) Auto-Password Changing. It works! I change around 22 passwords every week now with a single click of the button.
    2) Accurate, reliable credential creation. It is flawless. Whereas Lastpass 'often' creates bad credentials, or sometimes broken ones.
    3) Auto-Receipt capturing. Very nice little feature I now have grown to depend on.
    4) Multiple Account Login - it's perfect with Dashlane, a kludge with Lastpass.
    5) Emergency Accounts - GREAT feature!

I cannot express with words how often Lastpass failed at proper creation/editing of accounts. So much so I devoted more time than I care to admit 'fixing' things it broke. Half the time I would update passwords in LP, and it wouldn't save credentials correctly, or would 'forget' the new one. Overall the frustration level was pretty high in this area. Lastpass was good - compared to other solutions, which are generally bad! Another 7 months free of Dashlane, and I will watch for a 3 year renewal sale to pop up and buy it immediately.

PS I agree F-Secure PW is no better than useless. Did you notice it taking 10, 20, even 40% of the CPU? Why would a password manager need 40% of a CPU? I really dislike F-Secure products these days.

23. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I would get lastpass and save the money from dashlane.

24. 142395

142395 Guest

I can confirm LP is sometimes buggy when editing, but it's not deal-breaker for me.

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I have no issue paying for superior, bug free products. In fact, I have no issue paying 2, 3 even 5 times more for perfect products. I will pay for perfection. Price is always secondary for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.