Password Manager Discussion.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mayahana, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I look forward to your review. Any chance you can test drive the android version as well?

Since they are competing directly with LastPass I wonder what they're offering that they feel is worth more than twice the cost?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

So far I am EXTREMELY impressed. More on this later, but it's very compatible, helpful, and feature rich.

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

So far I can say I am absolutely blown away by Dashlane. Every password manager I have tried I always found issues, and came running back to Lastpass, but even with Lastpass there were 'issues' that annoyed me, some things that never worked exactly how I felt they should work. Dashlane so far delivers, and delivers in spades. Some stuff I am super impressed with;

1) The password 'checker' that checks for weak/easily compromised passwords. The best part is you can change the password by clicking 'generate new one' with your parameters, and then it actually logs you into the website, and takes you to the area to change the password, and then seamlessly updates it. I always found password changes 'spotty' in other products, and often would actually lose access after I did this and had to do resets.
    2) The 'Emergency' password request feature is nice! For example I can assign someone to have emergency access. So I could have my wife have access to some of our financial accounts. However this access would not be granted unless she declares an emergency to access it. Then I can set a parameter (hours/days/weeks) to where I have to respond to 'deny' this request. If I do not deny it, then an emergency is assumed, and she can gain access to important credentials. Awesome!
    3) I like how each password VIEW requires master-key re-entry.. So paste/autofill requires master key. But if you actually want to 'see' what the password is in each particular case you need to decode it with master-key.
    4) Encrypted Notes.. You can 'pass' notes to people that are encrypted. So for example I create a special note with some access credentials. I don't have to 'share' the password. Instead I can create a note, then send it to them directly through the Dashlane interface. In addition you can share passwords, but then assign 'rights' to them.. I can 'fully' share the rights, or share 'limited' rights so the person can only click on the link but never view/edit/change anything. (since they don't know the original password - it's encrypted - they can't alter the account password).
    5) Auto-Purchase recording. Nice feature! If I set it up it will keep a running list of my Amazon purchases within Dashlane (encrypted), and you can record receipts, and other data easily.
    6) Sorting is very good! I hate how password managers think they know how I want stuff sorted. Dashlane doesn't assume so.. (Date, Most Used, Last Accessed, Last Changed, etc).

It's expensive in comparison to most PW products, but if I keep finding only things I like I don't see why I won't be subscribing.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

1) Regarding automation the devil is in the details; I've seen LastPass improve over the years, but there are still sites that have weird log on screens/processes that break LastPass auto fill/auto logon. I'd be interested to hear how well Dashlane (DL) does after you've used it for a while.

2) The emergency password feature you describe sound interesting but I don't see it as a killer feature that everyone wants and pushes DL to the front.

3) Sorry but locking down the system to that extent would be overkill for me, but perhaps it would be useful for someone working with their passwords in a public place.

4) I don't quite understand how encrypted notes work. If you send someone an encrypted note how do they decrypt it, and can you give a practical example of how this is useful?

5) Auto-Purchase recording - finally a feature that strikes me as useful! :thumb:

6) I do find sorting in LastPass annoying so it's good to hear that it works better in DL.

I see that DashLane can import passwords from LastPass. Have you tried that, and if so how well does it work? :)

5. Baedric

Baedric Registered Member

Thanks for bringing this up! I have used Keepass for many years but I have never used the "auto type" feature before. I am trying it out and liking it so far.

6. fax

fax Registered Member

A pity, no Windows Phone support (dashlane).

7. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Clarification - it's 6 months of premium for free, a $20.00 value.

Conversion from Lastpass to Dashlane was seamless. It even recognized my 'newer' passwords in Dashlane from me testing their password changing mechanism, and didn't overwrite them! So far so good, except the 6 months free didn't actualize on my account yet. Perhaps it takes time?

Seems to me the password manager only syncs BETWEEN authorized devices. NOT on the cloud unless you pay for premium and turn on cloud-sync/backup.. So it's a device to device sync without the middle man apparently?

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Sometimes I feel like I am the pickiest guy on earth. Dashlane is the most perfect password manager I have found. The auto-reciept storage feature is actually something I really like - and I thought I would not. Overall it's the most stable, feature rich, and WORKING product I have seen in a long time.. It does what it is supposed to do - everytime.

My main issue is their inability to activate my 6mos trial.. They keep asking for 'more info' on the referral, and I simply do not have it. I clicked the referral link and that was that. Good customer service just gives you the 6mos and moves on, since it's clear I USED a referral link to sign up!

I think I am ready to kick Lastpass to the curb to be honest.

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Not a good sign that customer service can't even follow through with their own free offer. That would give me pause for something as important as password management.

10. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

In all fairness, it's probably because of some issue with the link I used. I'll give them a couple of days to resolve it. So far they've been very nice in responding, but I would have expected them to just say 'here you go' and be done with it. But overall it's a fabulous product! I love the import/export options, and it seems to never flake out.. Even LastPass flakes out at times, but not Dashlane. It's expensive, but so far it seems like it may be entirely worth it.

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I can't believe how good the auto-password-changer is in Dashlane. It detected my Linkdin PW was weak (and it was).. I clicked "Fix it" and using parameters I already established for the password generator (30char+symbols for example), it changed the password for me without me doing anything other than clicking a button. I change passwords every 90 days or so, this will save me tremendous amounts of time since I don't even need to login.

I hope they give me the 6mos, otherwise I will just buy it I guess.

12. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

About that free version, I'm confused as to whether the encrypted database is stored in the cloud or somehow synced across your device.

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

J_L,

According to the the comparison chart in my link above, no.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

16. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I've switched to Dashlane. LastPass is officially uninstalled.

Port from Lastpass went seamlessly, and frankly - Dashlane has been perfect - so perfect it's surpassed my expectations.

17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

That story has a link to the free password managers too. Strangely Dashlane isn't mentioned in the free version review.

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Only paid ("premium") products, why?

The "best password managers" shouldn't differentiate between free and paid, but worst than that KeePass is nowhere to be seen.
    Sod review, as usual with PCMag.

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

@Joxx ,

I don't know. I only posted the link, not the reviews.

21. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

It was a rhetorical question, translation: only paid apps, paid review

22. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I am still really enjoying Dashlane. One thing that bothered me was it constantly sent logs out (as in every 5 minutes). So I ended up blocking the DDNS of the log server from WAN/LAN, but that's still - annoying. Strange it sends these logs to Ireland? I recommend blocking outbound connectivity from most password managers unless it is required for some reason, and then only exclude those requirements - such as cloud sync, etc.

2015:03:06-18:56:15 home httpproxy[6610]: id="0001" severity="info" sys="SecureWeb" sub="http" name="http access" action="pass" method="CONNECT" srcip="192.168.xxx.xxx" dstip="54.217.224.190" user="" ad_domain="" statuscode="200" cached="0" profile="REF_DefaultHTTPProfile (Default Web Filter Profile)" filteraction="REF_DefaultHTTPCFFAction (Default content filter action)" size="4876" request="0xe0125800" url="https://logs.dashlane.com/" referer="" error="" authtime="0" dnstime="155" cattime="131" avscantime="0" fullreqtime="59723875" device="0" auth="0" ua="" exceptions="" country="Ireland" category="175" reputation="trusted" categoryname="Software/Hardware"

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I REALLY like Dashlane!

However, they've apparently had second thoughts about their 6-Month Free offering which I took advantage of.. My account showed Premium for 6 months up until 24 hours ago, and it reverted to a 30-Day Free account. They rarely respond properly to emails, and they are fairly hostile with support. Now to find a replacement. Too bad, it's been remarkable! But when a company lies - and cheats me out of the free time, then sends logs every 5 min to Ireland and doesn't explain why, and finally has terrible support. I will not patronize them.

Why is the password manager market so terrible?

24. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I still wonder why browsers themselves don't offer a strong and simple password manager. I'm not really into most "third party"password managers. And the outbound connections being made is never a good thing.

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Agreed. You'd think a browse company would just start offering quality auto-fill, and fully encrypted password management. Most of them store in plain text still, almost like they WANT that data to be insecure.

Seems logical, you know? Include a good, well constructed, secure password manager with a browser.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.