Password Manager Discussion.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mayahana, Jan 28, 2015.

1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

"Auto Type" in Keepass sold me as i tested it against a few keyloggers that could capture passwords manually typed and copied/pasted but not when using the auto type function.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Hey Brian,

That's because Norton Identity Safe sux, right?

Yes I use it because I've managed to keep it local but I have used LastPass and thought it was much better.

I do like Norton's Safe Web icons in Google searches too.

Cheers,
    Krusty

3. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I keep trying other products, and keep running back to Lastpass.

It just works, and doesn't give me hassles. Every other product seems to have bugs, issues, or hassles. I think I have tried 20 different products for this..

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Keepass for me for following reasons:
    -- auto-type feature is convenient + KeeFox (extension for firefox) makes using different, long, random passwords for all sites convenient.
    -- has versions that work on android and linux too
    -- supports keyfile + password, so I can (relatively) safely store my password database in a cloud (dropbox) because even if it gets hacked, there's little chance anyone could crack it without the keyfile (obviously the keyfile is not in the cloud)
    -- given that i use a keyfile + password, i feel i can use an easier (quicker to type) password as opposed to just a really long and complicated password

obviously i would be even safer if I used a longer password in addition to the keyfile, but as with everything you have to balance convience with security.

5. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I am using in on my Iphone, not really like a password manager but more for storing kinda secure notes (I do not use Lastpass for this because I need some notes more frequently and my Lastpass master password is a pain to type on the phone.) I am on the free version.
    So far, so good but I cannot say anything about their security. I just picked it because free and enough for my needs.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is this the app? Do you use a simpler password with SecureSafe (which is less of a pain to type on the phone) or does it use a different form of authentication?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dswiss.securesafe.android

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I like LastPass very much. It's very simple and intuitive.

8. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

After a 2 week review of other password apps, it's back to Lastpass.. Nothing works as well.

9. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

10. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thanks Mayahana.
    Been looking for a password manager for Android, tried a few, this one seems to work fine, 1free year is a nice bonus.
    Edit:Giving LastPass a try.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

F-Secure password manager seems to be the most secure. It generates an encryption key for EACH password, not just the master database. Also the timed method to generate a secure code for access on other devices is a very good system IMO.

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Can you say more about the benefit of have an encryption key for each password?

13. dogbite

Yes, that's it. I use a simpler password (a 12 digits alphanumeric one) than in LastPass (over 30 digits alphanumeric and with symbols). SecureSafe can use 2 factor authentication too, but not with free accounts. Also, free accounts are limited to 50 passwords, but I am fine with that limit.

14. dogbite

Just starting my trial. Since I renewed my LP premium account just one week ago, I will carry on F-secure trial for one year and then decide.

15. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Full compromise would require breaking the masterpassword encryption AND individual password encryption. Rather than just the MP encryption. Each PW is encrypted individually inside of the master password encrypted database. I wonder why more firms don't do this?

16. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I'm using Sticky Password. Very satisfied so far. Some guys behind AVG who's developing it. You can sync passwords via your wifi only, and therefore not go through their servers.

17. dogbite

First problem with F secure: impossible to import from LastPass. Ridiculous.

I might try this workaround:

1. Export Lastpass CSV
    2. Import to Keepass
    3. Export Keepass to XML
    4. Import to F-Secure.

EDIT: this workaround works.
    I was able to import all my LastPass database to Fsecure. Secure Notes are imported but basically just the title is there, all the secure notes content is gone.

EDIT2: Autofill function (Crtl+F2) sucks. It display the whole list of password. For example, logging-in to Twitter means scrolling down till letter T. And twice, once for the username and then for the password.

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I refuse to use Stickypassword.

1) A few years ago I purchased a version. They released a new version 3 days later, and wanted to charge me 50% to upgrade.
    2) I caught it 'dialing home' when I changed my masterpassword.. Very suspicious, since it's not cloud based at the time.

Ended up selling my key on Ebay for the older version. Some guy was happy to get it so it worked out well in the end. But I won't touch it.

F-Secure's import feature is a joke, I agree - first strike against it so far.

19. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

KeePass, definitely.

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

F-Secure password manager is buggy junk, and spikes the CPU even if you don't have it unlocked, and it's resting in the tray! Uninstalled, back to LastPass as usual.

F-Secure always disappoints me on every front. Not sure why I even bother anymore.

Attached Files:

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Sorry but I'm still not seeing how the individual password encryption provides greater security. The master password is used to decrypt all of the passwords, correct? If the master password is compromised then the bad guys have your passwords. What difference does it make that there's an additional level of encryption applied to the passwords individually? If you're talking about an attempt to crack the passwords with brute force then I guess it would be more difficult, but it's already very difficult.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  22. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

To be clear it's six months free for the premium version. A Dashlane premium subscription is $39/year. LastPass Premium is $12/year; less, a lot less :)

25. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

So far I really like Dashlane, very efficient, accurate, etc.. We'll see how testing goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.