Password Management

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by pegas, Oct 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hi,

I have noticed today that Password Management appeared under Identity & Privacy in my WSA (using the closed beta builds) and have a few questions:

1) PM add-on appeared in IE9 but not in Opera. May I understand that Opera is not supported browser?

2) When I open IE9 the Webroot (PM) add-on is greyed and I have to always sign into my account to get it enabled. Is there any way how to stay signed, i.e. when I open IE9 I would be always signed into the account. It is quite boring to always log in after opening IE9.

BTW, the Password Management is a smart thing. I added My Webroot account and it works like a charm.

Thanks & regards,
    pegas

2. Techfox1976

Techfox1976 Registered Member

Doesn't support Opera (I think only FF and IE, but maybe Chrome soon? Not sure on Chrome).

Always signs out when the browser is closed so that nobody can walk up to an open computer, open the browser, and sign into everything as you. Not sure about that logic, since the computer can be protected by a Windows lock screen password and it doesn't log out unless you close the browser, but a lot of people leave their browser running. :\ Maybe related to profile scooping? *Ponders*

3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

That's correct.

This is for added security, otherwise we have to cache the user's Master Password which has some pretty significant security implications. Our approach prevents a lot of the negative aspects that could normally come with password management, although I agree that there is a bit of a hit on usability.

4. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Another question:
    I have just got the pop-up bar to save passwords with Webroot. Click on "Save Passwords With Webroot" and a log in appears asking for my e-mail and password. Filled in with my e-mail and password that I have for my Webroot account and it tells me that my e-mail is not recognised.
    Logged in to my Webroot account to make sure the details were accepted - no problems.
    What am I doing wrong? Do I have to set up Password management with a different set of credentials?

5. PrevxHelp

It should use the same set of credentials. Beta users might have some different cases here - it would be worth writing into our support inbox to see what they can find with your account.

Let me know your results!

6. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Thanks for reply Joe. Will contact them tomorrow.

7. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It should support Opera if you're using the same codebase as LastPass. The universal Windows installer at LastPass states:
    What's the difference between WSA password management and that of LastPass?

8. PrevxHelp

The fundamentals are the same but the backend reporting and branding are different so each browser requires extra development effort from both of our sides. We're going to be adding in Chrome support but currently it is just IE/FF (and then Safari/Firefox on Mac shortly, and our custom web browser on Android).

9. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Thx Joe for the clarification.

However while I understand the downsides of having the cached password I would like to see it being of a user choice. It means that I would welcome a prompt letting me to choose to keep logged or not.

EDIT: I have checked the option "Open log-in window after opening of a browser" but no log-in windows opens. I have to click on PM add-on to initialize log-in window. Am I missing something?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  10. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Can somebody confirm it?

11. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Joe, can you kindly comment upon?

12. PrevxHelp

Thanks for the suggestion - this is harder to accomplish than it may seem but I'll see what we can do :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.