password forgot vista HP

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    my friend has just got a new laptop with windows vista home premium.
    he has forgot his password and now cant login.
    before you say anything i have instucted him to go in to safe mode and login in the the other admin account and reset his password that way.
    but as ive just found out from a google search the local admin account in safe mode isnt enabled by default in vista.
    so with normal safe mode he cant choose anything but his account which he doesnt know the password to.
    going to the system recovery options he can choose three accounts.
    admin,guest or user.
    if he chooses admin with no password and clicks ok it says this account isnt enabled.
    does anyone know of anyother way of enabling the local admin account in safe mode in vista?
    i mean cmon its microsoft surely there must be another backdoor to enable that admin account in safemode so he can reset his password.
    thanks in advance
    lodore

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the only solution i found was to boot in to the vista dvd and then enable the admin account via command prompt.
    http://forums.vnunet.com/thread.jspa?threadID=107799
    >net user administrator /active:yes
    but its an acer laptop and doesnt have a vista dvd.
    so hopefully the shop he brought it from has a vista dvd.
    if they have a vista dvd the shop can enable the admin account and then my friend can go in to safe mode with the admin account and reset the password.
    lodore

4. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

If nothing works, (if possible) revert back to factory settings. Since it is a new pc, i assume he doesn't have much valuable data on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.