Partiton Expert Help Needed, Please

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by iceni60, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i have a registred copy of PE Personal 2003 Build 278.

i want to make a copy of my C drive on a new partition.

and i want to create a new partition to put files on that can safely be put there so my XP home will boot quicker and, i think, will help the health of my system's HD.

when i installed PE i made the three floppy disks, i just wanted to tell you incase it's relevant.

i have 72% free space on my C Drive so i think i should be able to do these two partitions. i have tried before, but i was using a total HDD encryption program that i think messed it up, the first partition failed, i deleted it, but the space it would have occupied was still there, so it seemed i lost about 30% of the space on my HHD.

i have read the PDF that comes with the software, but i would like some help from someone who has managed to do what i'm trying to do, as i'm abit scared it will go wrong. i trust Acronis products as the people on this forum i respect recommend your software. i just feel i need abit of help :)

thanks you.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

will it be OK to do the partitions in safe mode? or, should i at least turn off things like my AV and PG?

it looks easy. open the program, click Copy Partition, pick my C drive, and i haven't gone past that point incase it starts partitioning. should i defrag first?
    thanks.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello iceni60,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Could you please clarify whether you are trying to copy the partition to another disk or within the single one? Are you using some disk encryption software? How did you delete the partition? Did you get the unallocated space after that?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Please observe, that your so-called C-drive is not the same as the hard disk. It is merely a single partition on the hard drive, so when Windows report that there is 72% free, that figure is for the partition only. It does not have to bear any relation to how much free space you have on the hard disk.

What operating system do you have? Can you do a Right-Click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management and verify the layout of your HDD (used and unused areas).

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i am going to copy to the same disk - my C Drive, so within the single one. i am not using the encryption software now. i'm not sure how i deleted that old partition, i have reformatted since then, so for me that's not a problem any more.

i have one HDD in my computer, i want to make a copy of what i have on this partition and make a new partiton to put it on on the same HD
    and i also want to make another partition on this same C drive and put some files on it so my PC will boot faster and also for files that are not needed that often, does that make sense?

after palying around with partitions i did notice that, there's extra space on the HD that is not part of the partition, but i'm no expert at this, in fact i'm next to clueless
    i have XP Home. here's a picture

Attached Files:

6. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

That C-partition spans the whole disk. You need to shrink it somewhat, e.g. down to 15 GB. Next, in the free space, create another 15 GB partition. This is where you can keep a copy of C. This will leave you with 10 GB for the 3rd and final partition for your data. In total you will have 3 partitions: 15 GB (C), 15 GB (D), and 10 GB (E).

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello iceni60,

Though MiniMax has already advised you how to do what you warn I must warn you that if you copy the partition it is copied without any changes. It means that when you copy the partition with the operating system it will remain the copy of the partition C and all the pathes on it will still lead to the C partition. Furthermore, to be able to boot into the copied Windows you need to edit the boot.ini file on C partition. And even after that this second copy of Windows will use a lot of file from the C partition because all the pathes remained the same during the copying.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK thanks to you both Acronis Support and MiniMax :) i'll have a think about what i want to do then go ahead and do it, i'm alittle tired at the moment so i'll give it some more thought when i have a clearer head and i'm not playing music so loudly :) thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.