Partitions deleted by TrueImage one-click restore

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Paul8, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul8

Paul8 Registered Member

I had a terrible experience with one-click restore to day. I wanted to restore my system only. That is a small 5GB partition. The rest of my drive is full of data, emails, -everything valuable for me. After restoring, TrueImage resized my Cpartition to the entire harddrive, erasing all other partitions. Nice!!!.

For me it means loss of years of work.
    Is there any utility that could resize C to its original size and then undelete my two lost partitions ?

2. Vart

Vart Registered Member

Was it Snap Restore? If so, it's not a bug, this feature is working as designed. You was given a note message explaining that if you will proceed with 'one-click-restore' all partitions on the hard drive will be removed...
    You will be able to resize system partitition to its original size with Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, but I'm afraid that these 2 partitions (with data) can not be restored because they were overwritten. (You can try to restore some files with special software or at service center but it's not guaranteed).
    I'm hoping that your data was backuped -)

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Me too, that's one of the reasons why I keep my personal data on another physical harddisk and my backup on an external harddisk. You can't fool around with your hard work.

4. Paul8

Paul8 Registered Member

I carefully read all Help about One-click restore (snap restore is a different feature). All what I saw was: 'The partition image is restored to its original location'. I couldnot possibly realize that this means that the result will only contain one partition. Most TrueImage users have partitioned drives. So I think many others have experienced the same disaster unless Acronis correct the help text. Today. Who said "Compute with confidence" o_O
    Now I am sitting and writing this on my old dusty laptop. Feeling like a refugee escaped from a disaster. I still hope to rescue the 160GB drive in my desktop. Will not use it to make sure that no parts of my erased partitions get overwritten. It must be possible to undelete something. But how?

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Paul,

I can understand that you might not feel too well disposed towards Acronis at this point in time. However, their Disk Director Suite 10 is an extremely useful tool to have around and includes a partition recovery capability.

Regards

6. Vart

Vart Registered Member

Could you please confirm that this single partition is expanded to the whole hard drive (and it's size now is much larger then 5Gb)?
    If not, I've an idea...
    It's possible that 2 other partitions is still here and was not touched but they have not assigned drive letters....
    You can check it in Disk Management Console...If this partitions are exist - you're lucky and can simple assign drive letters...

It's very strange....I've never heard about this issue with one-click-restore before and have no idea why it happens.

7. Vart

Vart Registered Member

I should add one thing...If the data partitions were deleted and the system partition was expanded to the whole hard drive then Acronis Disk Director cant do anything because there is no untouched unallocated space with missing partitions (ADD will not be able to recover partitions if you will resize C partition back to it's size too....)

P.S If C partition is not expanded and data partitions were simple erased then ADD can restore these partitions....

8. Paul8

Paul8 Registered Member

This one-click disaster did resize my C from 5 to 151GB. I could see the operation took 2 or 3 seconds.
    There is no unallocated space on my 160GB harddrive. Maybe I should tell that my computer is 6 years old. WinXP is able to use all 160GB , but on DOS it will only recognize 127GB. Could it be the clue of my misery?

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Paul8,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

First of all, I would like to confirm the Vart's statement about Acronis One-Click Restore. Although it is not the same as Acronis Snap Restore, it restores the image in a somewhat similar way. I mean that when the image is restored using Acronis One-Click Restore the whole hard drive is overwritten with the data from the restored image archive. Therefore, if your hard drive has several partitions and you are willing to use Acronis One-Click Restore, you should create an image of the entire hard drive. Otherwise, partitions, missing in the image, will be lost upon it's restoration. I agree that at the moment this fact is not documented well. I therefore brought this issue to the respective person's attention and he will certainly take care of this information being more noticeable in the future Acronis True Image builds\versions and respective documentation. We are very sorry for your inconvenience.

However, under no circumstances Acronis One-Click Restore should change the size of the restored partition(s). Can you confirm that the size of your system partition was increased so that it now fits the entire hard drive? If yes, then please also let us know what exact version and build number of Acronis True Image you use. You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

As for recovering the lost partitions, there are two possibilities available:

1.) If your system partition was not resized during the image restoration procedure then other two partitions were not overwritten but simply deleted. There should be an unallocated space on your hard drive in this case. You can check if there is an unallocated space on your hard drive by looking through Windows Disk Management (Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management).

If that's the case then we recommend that you follow the Vart's advice and try to recover your lost partitions using Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 embedded Recovery Expert tool. To do so please download and install the free trial version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, start Recovery Expert and see it finds any lost partitions in the unallocated space on your hard drive. If yes, then please visit Acronis online store to purchase the full version of Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, install it on your computer and recover the lost partitions.

Please note that Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 allows creation of the special Bootable Rescue Media which can be used if the computer having the issue is not bootable for some reason.

You can find more information on how to use Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 in the respective User's Guide.

2.) If your system partition was in fact resized then I'm afraid the only way to recover the lost data is to contact people in special service center. They will probably be able to help you.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

10. Acronis Support

Hello Paul8,

I'm sorry, I didn't see your post #8 when I was composing my reply. Actually, I should have refreshed the page prior to making the post. Could you please let us know what exact version and build number of Acronis True Image you use? I'll forward this information to our Testing Team and they will try to figure out why Acronis True Image resized your system partition upon the image restoration.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

This should display on the screen in bold, red letters at the appropriate place when the command is selected. Maybe they should flash too.

In my previous life, we used to have a pool of totally non-technical users to test the software. People familiar with the software and computers in general do not make good testers since they know what they should and shouldn't do without being told.

12. Paul8

Paul8 Registered Member

I was using True Image 9 home, build 3633.
    Thank you for your informative reply.
    I still hope that True image in soon future will provide one-click restore for individual partitions.
    Best regards
    Paul

13. Acronis Support

Hello Paul8 and everyone interested,

I've just been contacted by the respective person from our Development Team and he assured me that the issue with a single partition being resized to fit the entire hard drive upon it's restoration using Acronis One-Click Restore is in fact not the issue but normal behavior of the current Acronis True Image version. I'm very sorry for misleading you all with my initial explanation. The usage of Acronis One-Click Restore will be documented in all possible sources of information as soon as possible.

Paul8, I've forwarded your suggestion to implement Acronis One-Click Restore for individual partitions to our Development Team and it will certainly be considered.

seekforever, the corresponding warning message will certainly be implemented in the future Acronis True Image builds.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  14. lololo

lololo Registered Member

hello,

have you got new informations about this feature?

thanks

laurent

15. lololo

lololo Registered Member

UP up UP

16. Acronis Support

Hello lololo,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that the suggestion was made and it is under consideration.

Currently, Acronis One-Click Restore option operates as Alexey described above.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.