Partitioning & Formatting Questions - TI8.0

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mr_rhino, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_rhino

mr_rhino Registered Member

Have 4 questions regarding partitioning and formatting to support my TI8.0 b800 installation:

1. Looking for confirmation that TI8.0 b800 (standard product) does support NTFS RAID 1 (Basic volume, not Dynamic) for the system/boot partition? Or does the system/boot partition/OS have to be installed on a non-RAID Basic partition?

2. I plan to save my images to DVD media using the indirect 2-step method. How should I format the partition that I use to store the split images (2000MB pieces) of my system HD: NTFS or FAT32, and why, or doesn’t it matter? [Note: I plan to later burn (using the latest updated version of Nero InCD) these 2000MB pieces onto formatted 4x DVD+RW media at 2.4x]

3. If I elect to create a SZ (which I understand uses FAT32 not NTFS) on a separate partition/HD, does this need to be preformatted as FAT32? Or does TI do this automatically during creation of the SZ?

4. Can anyone identify pros and cons to having boot, system, applications and data on a single large (RAID 1) NTFS partition? While I would generally at least like to separate the data from everything else, many apps automatically a) install themselves in the root directory and b) create (without the ability for user to modify) their data directories on the same partition as the app itself. In an ideal world (where everyone played nice together in the sandbox) I would have separate partitions for the boot/system/OS, applications, and data.

Input/Comments anyone?

Thanks in advance,
    Rhino

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

I'm not sure about NTFS RAID 1 but I use NTFS RAID 0 and TI8.0 b 800 works fine.

TI does this automatically

These are the two I could help with. Hopefully someone else can help with other 2.

Thanks,

Chris

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mr_rhino,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Acronis True Image does support RAID 1. Please download free trial version from http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/trueimage/ if you are unsure.

If you are creating image on DVD using 2-step method you don't need to format anything. If you use 1-step method you need to format your DVD disk first in the way described at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/faq.html#20

Acronis Secure Zone creation is absolutely automatical after you set the place where you want to create it and its size.

As for installation software, operating system and data storage it's up to you to decide which way is better for you. There no big difference in how you manage your disk space.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Last edited: Apr 6, 2005
  4. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I have no idea - check my signature ;)

If you will only be using it for 2 GB images, then I would go for FAT32. It has the advantage that you will - in case of an emergency - be able to create images from the Rescue CD on that FAT32 partition. An NTFS partition is read-only when used from the the Rescue CD (at least with TI 6.0).

Case in point: I have an external 250 GB Maxtor OneTouch II drive that I initially formatted as FAT32. Working fine with the TI CD. Then one day I decided to do a file system backup using NTBACKUP.EXE - and BOING!!! The backup aborted when the backup file hit the 4 GB limit on the FAT32 file system :(

So I ended up splitting the drive into a small 6 GB FAT32 partition (which I will attempt to make bootable), an 100 GB FAT32 for TI images, an 100 GB NTFS partition for regular backups, and an unused 27 GB parition (never know when that will come in handy) - best of both worlds :)

No idea - but it why not format it anyway? It TI wants to format it, all you have lost is 10, 20, 30 minutes doing the formatting in vain.

NB: The FAT32 part seems to confirm my suspicion raised above, that NTFS is read-only except when used when running on top of an NTFS-aware OS.

Split them! My boot partition is an 400 MB FAT32 partition, my main WinXP page file is on G, WinXP itself is on drive H, my data is (as far as I can manage) on I, and downloads, temporary files, etc, etc are on M.

Even if some applications assumes that All-The-World-Is-A-VAX I think it is worth the extra effort. And if it is commercial applications that you pay real money for, complain loudly to the vendor!

If you are really into keeping things organized, you might be able to use NTFS junction points (MS KB article) to make sure that data are always written to your data partition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.