Partition without Move/Resize Partition option

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by s660117, Oct 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s660117

s660117 Registered Member

Hi,
    I'm running Paragon Hard Disk Manager 10.0 on a Windows Vista machine with a dual-bootable Linux system.
    I am having trouble copying and pasting Paragon's Disk View, so I have entered the following partition map --

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recovery (F) 15 GB NTFS
    OS (C) 302.2 GB NTFS
    ---Logical Partition -------------------------------------------
    Photos (D) 99.7 GB NTFS
    Music (E) 48.3 GB NTFS
    2 GB LinuxSwap2
    Local Disk 8.4 GB LinuxExt3
    Local Disk 64.7 GB LinuxExt3
    ---End of Logical Partition ------------------------------------
    Backup (G) 68.3 GB NTFS
    Unallocated 324.6 GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given this layout, I need to take some of the unallocated space and add it to the E: drive in the logical partition.
    It is my understanding that I need to take unallocated space and move it to the left of the Backup drive and then continue to move the space from the right of each partition to the left until I get to E:. At that point, I think, I will be able to add the free space to the E: partition.
    Before attempting this move, however, I noticed that the 2 GB LinuxSwp2 partition does not offer the Move/Resize Partition option, so I am wondering how I will move free space from the left of the Local Disk 8.4 GB LinuxExt3 to the left of the 2 GB partition.
    Hope this is clear.
    Thanks in advance,
    s660117

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

A screenshot of paragon main window would probably help.

3. s660117

SIW2,
    For some reason, when I right click on the entry window in an attempt to paste in the Paragon Disk Map, the Cut/Copy/Paste/Delete options are greyed out.
    That's why I provided the text version of the Paragon Disk Map instead.
    One thing not reflected in the test version is that the color of the rectangle within the LinuxSwap2 partition is a darker olive green, the only partition to have such a color.
    Another thing I notices is that is it impossible to select the partition using Redistribute Free Space.
    s660117

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Don't need a paste of the disk map. Need a screenshot.

You can attach it when you click GO Advanced in the Forum Reply window.

Are you trying to increase the size of an ext partition?

It seems what you want to do is use some of that unallocated space to increase the size of your Music partition.

That is quite a big job involving moving a lot of data and volume boundaries.

You might be better copying you Music partition into the unallocated space - using the Copy partition function.

You might hit the partition number limit.

If that is the case, covert your backup G to logical first ( small operation ). Then copy Music into the unallocated space

Should be much easier.

5. s660117

Ok...
    If I click on Go Advanced I get a pop-up that says "Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply".
    Next, I click on Quick Reply for your last comment and select Go Advanced.
    This bring me to the Quick Reply window with a message above that reads "Post content problem - post content either invalid or too complex".
    I still can't paste the Paragon Disk View into the reply and I see no other way to include it.
    o_O
    s660117

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

From what you already posted - the easiest way is to make G backup into a logical drive.

Then Copy your E Music into the unallocated space.

7. s660117

Actually, I now see where there is an option to attach a file, but I'm still having problems.
    For one thing, my screen shot is a .bmp file which is invalid.
    And a .jpeg version exceeds the maximum size allowed for that file type.
    s660117

8. s660117

SIW2,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'd rather not move partitions because Linux is sensitive to the relative positions of those partitions.
    And I'm still wondering why the LinuxSwap2 partition does not allow Move/Resize.
    s660117

9. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

The best thing you can do is post a screen shot because any older editions of Paragon don't have the ability move Ext2,3,4 file systems. The newer versions do a much better version of that.

10. s660117

Thanks for your reply.
    OK, I know I'm being dense, but I can't figure out how to post a screen shot. Paste is not allowed and I can't figure out Attach Files.
    I would appreciate any help you could give me in this regard.
    By the way, I am running Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2010.
    Thanks,
    s660117

11. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, that is why I suggested COPY - to avoid moving .

12. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

1. Click the reply icon.

2. Click Go advanced.

3. in the advanced window, click the paperclip.

4. In the new window that opens , click BROWSE and browse to the screenshot on your HD you want to upload.

5. Click UPLOAD.

6. When it has uploaded, click the red x to close the browse window.

7. The advanced reply window is still there - so click the paperclip again to attach the image you have just uploaded.

I think it is the same way you post screenshots on all forums.

13. s660117

14. Paragon_Matt

Ok, the issue you are going to run into, is that the free/un-allocated space will require you perform multiple partition moves to allocate that space, and the only version of our software that has better support to deal with the linux partitions will be the Partition Manager 12 editions, or you have the option to backup partition by partition, delete the existing partitions, allocate the space you need and then restore the partitions, however it is a very dangerous process either way and I would strongly suggest you backup the entire system to multiple locations just in case.

15. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, absolutely.

Make backup image before you try anything.

As you have HDM , I assume you make images periodically anyway.

16. s660117

Attempted to copy the Music partition to the unallocated space prior to converting the G partition into a logical one and got the following error message--

Paragon Partitions006.jpg

17. s660117

Matt,
    You write that the task "will require you perform multiple partition moves to allocate that space". By partition moves do you mean resizing each partition from right to left? You go on to say that "the only version of our software that has better support to deal with the linux partitions will be the Partition Manager 12 editions". Does that mean that in view of the fact that the Swap partition doesn't support Move/Resize that it is impossible to resize the partitions with my current release?

18. Paragon_Matt

Forgive me it would have been PM12 or HDM12 either should have the functionality, and it would be to move from left to right, you would then have to extend the extended partition and move within the extended partition. I also do believe it would work with the swap partition you have, but it is also why I recommended backing up the drive. In case it isn't met with the most favorable outcome. I haven't personally attempted it, though I was told it should work.

19. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You need to convert G to logical first.

It not allowing you to copy into the unallocated space because you currently have 4 partitions - that is the maximum you can have - you cannot make another.

Therefore if you convert G to logical it becomes part of the existing extended partition ( the pale green thing ) - and you have only 3 partitions.

Now Paragon will let you do the copy.

That is far, far easier than attempting multiple moves - and you can do it with your existing Paragon.

20. s660117

Ok...
    I changed the G drive into a logical partition and copied the E drive to the unallocated space.
    Now I assume I need to delete the E partition and add a drive letter to the new copy.
    Is this correct?

21. s660117

I did have one problem which I failed to mention --
    As the conversion of the G drive to a logical one ended, I was presented with a message saying that I needed to re-init the boot loader.
    Problem was that I was unable to respond to the prompt and finally had to reboot my PC in order to finish.
    Fortunately, I guess the process was done because once I rebooted and redid the boot loader, I was fine.

22. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes it means reinit linux bootloader after the conversion process has finished. Looks like you did that and all is fine.

OK - if you are happy all your music is successfully on the new partition - then you can use the original E for something else.

You can just give it a quick format - that will keep E partition, and let you store other stuff on it.

Or you can delete E which will make it free space. You may wish to use that free space to extend another nearby partition at some stage.

23. s660117

Thanks, SIW2. for all your help.
    I deleted the E partition, leasing 48 GB of free space, fixed boot loader, and now I'm fine.
    Just have to deal with I-Tunes.
    s660117

24. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You are welcome .

Glad it worked out for you.

At some stage , you might like to think about getting a newer version of Paragon.

They will be adding win8 support very soon.

Can't remember how it works - but I think you get a big discount if you upgrade - Matt will tell about that.

25. Paragon_Matt

Well it depends on the kind of upgrade, if it's direct it's anywhere from 30-50%, if it's indirect it's 10-15%, but I do have coupon codes for 25% off, if you would like it, PM me with what state you are calling from, as well as what email the software is registered under I will PM back with a Coupon code for you to apply on the purchase when purchased online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.