Partition USB Drive?

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by ShotgunMessiah, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShotgunMessiah

ShotgunMessiah Registered Member

Good morning all,
    I am trying to take a 32gb flash drive (Verbatim) and partition it so I have a 4gb boot partition and the rest of the space is reserved for data. Partition Manager was suggested to me for this, so I purchased the product.

Every time I try to create the data partition though, I am told the system needs to reboot to complete the process. I do that, and I'm greeted with an error: Some error occured: The disk is not initialized. Please run Windows Disk Manager to resolve this problem.

Once this happens, the partition is untouchable by anything until I run a diskpart > clean on it and start over.

Am I missing a step somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running Partition Manager 11 Professional (full version) on Windows 7 x64 if that helps.

Thanks!

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

If you want to do it from within windows, you would need something to change the removable bit.

Try using Paragon boot disc to do the job. The Paragon linux boot disc is worth trying.

3. ShotgunMessiah

Thank you for your reply.

I have heard of changing the removable bit, but the only software I have ever been able to find to do that was the Lexar BootIt which did not work with any of my flash drives. It's a shame, because a lot of people seem to have been successful with it and it's exactly what I'm trying to do.

By Paragon boot disc do you mean the Advanced Recovery CD? I was unable to find any other bootable disk that I had access to download through my license.

I tried the same thing with recovery disk and it returned the same thing, asking me to reboot but then generated a different error when I selected the reboot option and sat there as if I hadn't clicked anything.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You can run off the Linux based recovery media from the main program interface

Tools>Recovery Media builder.

rmb0.jpg

rmb1.jpg

If you like, you can use the file below instead.

Download it and remove the .txt extension.

It is a .zip file.

View attachment BOOTICE.zip.txt

5. ShotgunMessiah

Thank you again for your reply!

I was finally able to get the partition created and everything worked quite seamlessly using the Linux-based recovery disk. I think in the future I'll be sticking with this disk.

Windows still isn't seeing the second partition though, and I have to imagine it's most because the drive itself is still showing as Removable. I guess I won't be able to do this the way I had hoped unless I can find some way to flip that bit.

Thank you again so much for your help!

6. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

offtop

Almost any flash drive can make so that it will be detected by the BIOS as the two separate sticks. For example It is possible to make a one partition as USB-CDROM and the other as USB-HDD. With the help of vendor-specifics utilities. This alone can be dangerous.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.