Partition shows as "Unformatted" after moving it

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by bunyan, Sep 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunyan

bunyan Registered Member

Hello!

I had the following partition layout:
    C (NTFS) - 20GB
    D (NTFS) - 86GB
    Free - 5GB

I wanted to increase the size of C by moving D 5GB forward and then adding these 5GB to C.

I've started partition moving in PPM and left the computer as the process promised to last long. In about 40 minutes I checked the process, and PPM was behaving strange - read speed was 0 MB/s, while write speed was 18 MB/s and the program showed that the process is running. Also the "time left" was jumping from half an hour to 20+ hours. Still I didn't want to interrupt the program. The next time I came to check it, Windows has already loaded.

Now I can see drive D in My Computer, but I cannot access it. Windows (and PM) says it's not formatted.

The partitioning tool shows the layout I wanted
    C - 20GB
    Free - 5GB
    D - 86GB

But something went wrong and all my data from D is not accessible now.

Some tools I tried (EasyRecovery, Find And Mount) show that there is an NTFS partition right after C. Disk viewers/editors show the same - the 5GB free space contains the same headers (?) as C while D does not.

I thought that PPM didn't actually move the data and just changed the partition layout, but in this case, I think, EasyRecovery could find all the dirs and files in their places, but it finds only some of them...

So... The question is - is it possible to revert the operation? I though, maybe it's possible to mark the 5GB free space as NTFS and somehow merge it with D so they became one large NTFS partition? But what will happen to data if PPM actually did move the files?
    Is it possible to recover the files with their original names and directory structures?

Thank you.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.