Partition letters reassigned after SSD failure

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by wrd, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wrd

wrd Registered Member

Gentlemen:
    I had a Windows 7 dual boot system
    Disk 0 Sys:C was a SSD dedicated only to Windows 7 and very frequently used programs
    Disk 1 SYSVista:V; APS:A, DATA:D/ and FUN:F
    Disk2 BACKUP:B (contains a copy (not clone) of SYS:C and also (sorry Paragon) an Acronis True Image Home partition backup of SYS:C
    I am now operating under my old Vista operating system
    What happened:
    Disk 0 died and in now replaced by a unformated, unallocated new 64GB SSD
    In order to create a new partition on Disk 0 with Paragon's hard disk manager it wants me to assign a drive letter to it. PHDM or Vista has assigned the letter C to SYSVista. It will not let me change it to something else so that I can assign "C" to the new disk 0 partition.
    I am afraid that if I do something wrong I will end up with different partition letters than before the disk crash and I will have 1000 registry errors.
    What should I do?
    1. Go ahead and assign a new letter like "W" to the new disk partition, create it. copy the backup SYS partition to it. Reboot and everything will come out OK,
    1a. If something goes wrong I can always delete SYS:W and redo with no bad effects.
    2 Boot from Paragon recovery windows/linux disk
    3 Run Acronis True Image home from Vista and follow the recovery proceedure.
    4. Boot from the Acronis True Image Home recovery disk.
    5. Anything else.
    I would like to end up with the partition letters the same as they were before the crash.
    Any help is appreciated. Thank you.
    Bill Detert / Springfield / IL / USA

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

Partition letters are stored in Windows registry and are completely independent.
    For example: for dual-boot configuration (C:\) will be always assigned to the currently booted Windows partition. And second (not active at the moment) Windows partition will have another letter (D, E, F , etc).

You can create partition and assign no letter for it (simply select None in the Create Partition wizard). After the restore, restored Windows will have C:\ letter assigned to the system partition in the registry (and any letter assigned in Vista registry)

Even more: if you have Windows 7 archive created with Paragon, you can start restore from Vista not formatting the new Drive 0.
    During the restore you will have option to set desired partition size for Windows 7 (to cover all Drive 0 or only part of it).
    Once completed, simply restart your PC , enter BIOS and set Drive 0 as first bootable device to start restored Windows 7

3. wrd

wrd Registered Member

Thanks. I appreciate the fact that someone took the time to help me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.