Partition letters re-assigned after Re-Allocation of free space.

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Digiwizard, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Digiwizard

Digiwizard Registered Member

Hello All,
    I'm new here but will try to be concise. I purchased and am using PDM 12 for Windows. My OS is XP.

C: drive is fine and partitioned into C: and D: My DVD Burner was (and still is) H:
    I HAD a 500 GB WD partitioned into E: F: G: It Crashed and Burned; I removed the drive from the system. (3 months before the crash, I installed the 1.5TB Seagate below).

I have a 1.5 TB Seagate. partitioned into I: J: and K: (Paragon retained these drive letters after I removed the defunct drive.
    I tried to re-allocate some free space by draging the partions; I applied the changes. I sat with the system for about 15 minutes without any movement on the screen. I decided to let it do it's thing. And the next day my system had been restarted (I can only assume by the PDM software).

I logged into windows and many of my programs would not work. Windows could not find them. I used windows explorer look at the drive structure and drive "K:" was missing. Drive "E" had appeared and needed to be formatted. Now here is where it gets crazy.

XP reports that E: needs to be formatted.
    PDM reports that G: needs to be formatted.

The problem is that PDM reassigned letters on the 1.5 TB drive partitions.
    From
    I: J: and K:
    TO -- E: F: and G: Paragon reports that G: is unformatted with no file structure (was K: with NTFS before the allocation change)

XP
    reports these Partitions as E: I: and J:
    XP can access I: and J:

I've looked for deleted partitions as comprehensively as PDM will allow - with no luck.
    I have not changed a "bit" (pun intended) of anything on the drive after discovering this problem.

All my program installations, including PDM and image/backup files are on the partition waiting to be formatted. PDM is gone as well as 70% of my program Information. All I have to work with is a boot CD made after I installed Paragon Disk Manager.

I hope this all makes sense to anyone reading this thread.

I was tempted to re-assign the partitions to the drive letters prior to the re-allocation but thought I would get some expert advice first.
    Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help me out of this situation.

Digiwizard
    (I guess this means I have to change my handle to digi "not much of a" wizard.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.