Partition Expert found only 128gb from 160gb HDD

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Nicky Charles, Dec 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Partition Expert can't find 160gb like is really my HDD but only 128gb.
    My pc is somehow new(2 yrs old),and i can't find what's wrong.My motherboard "Soltek" with AMI bios,proccesor 2GB intel and the HDD Seagate SATA 160gb.
    This is the second HDD,the first one had the same problem,i gave it back to shop thinking it was problem from HDD but now i see that same problem with the second HDD.I want to recognize it like 160gb as it is.
    I use Win-XP,can you help me? Thanks in advanced

2. Storm

Storm Registered Member

Hi there!

You will have to look for a newer BIOS for your mainboard, as 128GB is a BIOS limitation. If you can't get one, an extra Controller would be another possibitlity (PCI-Card).

Hope that helps

Greetz
    Storm

3. Thanks for your info.Can you help me a little more? How i can ask in pc shop for this card,like a "HD Controller"? Thanks again.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Nicky,

Thank you for using Acronis software (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/).

Could you please check if Windows Explorer reports the space correctly? Please also check the jumper on the drive (probably it is set to the position to limit drive capacity to 128 Gb). It is also helpful to update BIOS on the motherboard to the latest version available on the Soltek respective site.

I recommend you to contact support@acronis.com regarding this issue and provide us with Acronis Report file:

Please download Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report and send it to us. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.

5. Hi,Andrew!
    Well,finally now i read your post,but i resolved my HDD problem not with Acronis but with Win-XP-SP2. I decided to run directly the win-xp cd and the new windows recognized my 160gb HDD without any problem and partitioned
    also.Now is working perfect.
    I think the problem is in Acronis because cannot recognize bigger than 128gb HDD.I think this needs to fix it with an upgrade because more people now will start to install bigger hard-disks on their pc's.

Regards

6. shazza

shazza Guest

Hey,

Yeah, I know this topic is a few months old; but my problem is exactly the same. I recently purchased a new computer which consisted of a SATA 160GB HDD, however XP (or the BIOS) is only recognising 128GB of it.

I installed XP-SP2, but alas to no avail. It's not a big problem, since I doubt I am even going to fill up 128GB; however it IS the principle.

AMD64 3000+
    1024MB RAM
    32MB Shared Video Card (Damn that card, I am getting an ATI 256MB Radeon 9800 Pro soon)
    160GB SATA HDD
    K8S-MX Motherboard

Cheers

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello shazza,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis System Utilities.

I am afraid the problem is not connected with Acronis software. Please contact your hardware manufacturer for possible solution. I believe BIOS update is what you need in this situation.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. PavelD

PavelD Guest

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.