Partition Copying Problem

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Majestic100, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Majestic100

Majestic100 Registered Member

I have two caddied 80GB HDD's - main and standby.

I'm using Director suite to copy partitions from main the standby.

On the standby I've created two, formatted partions.

On the main are two partitions I want to copy. Partition 1 contains O/S and Programs. Partition 2, Downloads and Drivers etc.

I can copy partition 2 no problem, but not partiion 1. I get an error message saying there is not enough free space (when in fact it's all free.) I note that when I clear/OK the error message, the main HDD is greyed scaled out (no free space) and error "cross" shown. It appears as though it's main drive that has not got the space as opposed to the chosen standby.

I don't know whats going on. Any clueso_O

2. Majestic100

Majestic100 Registered Member

I de-installed and re-installed Disk Director and problem still same.

The error message given is...................

"Acronis Disk Director was not able to create the partition because there is not enough space on the selected hard drive"

The partition required to be copied is approx 40 GB. The partition it is meant to be copied to is approx 74 GB, all of free space.

The error message just doesn't make sense o_O ... o_O

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Majestic100,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition Managing Software.

Could you please plug both your drives to your computer and create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post? Please send this report to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. Also please send us the screenshots of your actions in wizard so that we could investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. I would like answer to the above mentioned problem from you guys at acronis as I am getting the same problem.

Cheers
    Mike

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Mike,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please send us the info mentioned above. We will certainly help you with the solution. The problem may appear due to different reasons that is why each case should be investigated independently. However, if you would like to share your experience you are always welcome.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Suhtek

Suhtek Guest

I was stumped by this problem back when I first installed OSL 8.0.
    I installed win2K then OSL then attempted to 'clone' my 2K system.
    'no free space' error was reported even thou gig's were free.

My solution was to just do a complete new 2K install (giving me 2x 2K installs on my OSL boot menu). After this I could 'copy' operating systems freely without getting the 'no free space' error. That's what I call quirky. :)

I now use a rather unorthodox method for 'cloning'.
    I run 2x 2K using one as a Testbed for installing new software/service packs etc just to test if the software works (or at least doesn't break my system:).

When I'm satisfied I'll install to my main OS and re-clone the main OS to my Testbed OS.

The quick way to do this is not using OSL at all.
    I use Karens File Replicator to make backup mirrors of the BOOTWIZ OS directories, then I can simply use File Replicator to copy these files back to either BOOTWIZ OS directory. It's quicker than a OSL 'copy' which seems to take a loooooong time.

to backup either OS:
    BOOTWIZ dir BACKUP dir
    8000001 -----------> 8000001
    8000002 -----------> 8000002

to restore either OS:
    BOOTWIZ dir BACKUP dir
    8000001 <----------- 8000001
    8000002 <----------- 8000002

to copy main OS to Testbed OS:
    BOOTWIZ dir BACKUP dir
    8000001 -----------> 8000002
    8000002 <----------- 8000002

to restore main OS corruption:
    BOOTWIZ dir BACKUP dir
    8000001 <----------- 8000001
    or
    8000001 <----------- 8000002

you get the idea?
    note that your BOOTWIZ directory names will be different from these samples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.