partion greyed out

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by virtualgeorge, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. virtualgeorge

virtualgeorge Registered Member

I have a hp with vista pre-installed.
    I shrank the c: drive with the os and have a new partition in the unallocated space. I think with in vista it said something about creating a simple volume, does that create the needed partition to restore an image to?

I used the boot cd and wanted to restore a backup image of xp in the unallocated space but that partition is greyed out when it asks where I want to restore "to". It only shows my c: drive vista is installed and the system restore drive.

So I went back and formatted the unallocated space after booting back in to vista and tried to restore again. Again, the partition that is 125 gb in size is greyed out. I tried to restore from TI in vista and when booted with the boot cd but the partition is always greyed out.

Any ideas on what I should do so I can restore my xp image to that partition?

thanks!

2. virtualgeorge

I guess if you resize any of your partitions with vista, that renders them unable to receive a backup image? So I will try wiping everything and creating 2 new partitions and don't resize anything and I should be able to restore to those 2 partitions, correct?

3. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

virtualgeorge,

this is the order to split one existing partition in two (or more):

- make the existing partition smaller (e.g. with DiskDirector from Acronis)
    - then you have an unallocated space. Start the 'computer manager' within Vista (I don't know the right name because I work with a German edition) and create a partition.
    - format the new partition with the same manager.
    - now you must get a device-character (e.g. "D:")

For a test you can copy one file from C: to the new D:.
    If it works you can start TrueImage and you must see the new partition (not greyed).

Did you do that in the same order?

4. virtualgeorge

That was the order but I did not use disk director.

To test I added a second drive and created 2 partitions and I could restore to either and copy files to both. However, once I use the disk manager in Vista to either shrink or extend a partition, then that partition or any newly created partition will become greyed out when using TI 11 home.

When I shrink one partition and create a new one in vista, it gave me some sort of warning but I don't remember what it was. Something about the new partition created could not be made an active partition or something like that. When ever I see that warning the partitions involved become greyed out.

As long as I don't try to re-size any partitions with vista it works fine.

5. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

I'm sorry, I use WinXP.

You have to wait on Vista users here who can help you...

6. virtualgeorge

So on my second drive I created 2 partitions, restored an image of vista to one and an image of XP to the other.

Vista works and I used vistabootpro to create another os choice on the boot menu for xp. However, when I choose xp it doesn't load xp, just reboots.

I have been screwing around a lot with things so should I try restoring the xp image again, try installing xp from cd, or try using easybcd instead of vistabootpro?

Or something different?

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello virtualgeorge,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for delayed response.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will do our best to investigate the problem and provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.