Paragon Partition Manager 11 Special Edition

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by alant, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alant

alant Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    I just installed Paragon Partition Manager 11 Special Edition
    From my 1TB hard drive, I created a new partition and now have:
    C-drive: 406gb free of 512gb.
    D-drive: 406gb free of 406gb (new partition)

I just clicked on <copying and migration> and then <copy partition>. I received the message:
    Sorry, the wizard cannot continue. Wizard did not find unallocated space where a new copy can be created. Please reduce the size of existing partitions or delete some partition to get unallocated space of sufficient size.

Q) Do I need to format the partition first?
    Q) should I just copy & paste the contents of 1 drive to the other? Will I be able to recover from this? Would this be the same as a re-install?

If I try the Copy Hard Disk Wizard, I get the message:
    Wizard has found only 1 hard disk that is suitable for copy operation. The wizard needs at least two hard disks to create a copy.

Did I skip a step creating the partition? Thanks.

2. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

I also have a question for you: for what purpose you want to copy a partition to another location on the same disk?

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

You need unallocated space to copy a partition to.

To create unallocated space, delete the 406gb (new partition).

You can only copy an entire hard drive if you have another hard drive to copy it to.

4. alant

alant Registered Member

I thought that if I ever wanted to re-install my OS, it would make life easier to just copy everything over. I know if the drive crashes, I lose everything. That's why I also have an online backup. I restored from my online backup before, but it takes days over dsl. Also, can the OS be directly moved?

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Yes, you can copy a partition to use as a backup, if you like.

How do you mean directly moved?

6. fireworker

fireworker Registered Member

7. alant

alant Registered Member

By "directly moved", I meant could it be dragged/dropped? Or would everything need to be re-installed fresh?

8. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Ah - do you mean can you just copy it using windows copy function , or drag/drop, without using any kind of 3rd party app?

It can be done- but you have to do it from outside - i.e from another o/s . I have done something very similar from windows pe.

You will have some difficulties with that. Not least is that the version you copied/dragged will have all sorts of issues with drive lettering.

It is possible to change the o/s drive letter afterwards. You would also need to correct the bcd store. Paragon Boot corrector has options which help
    you to do that.

Can't remember exactly, but I think I may have had to do a couple of other little things as well.

It worked ok eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.