Paragon NTFS for Mavericks?

Discussion in 'NTFS for Mac & ExtFS for Mac' started by jimchristensen, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jimchristensen

jimchristensen Registered Member

I've been using Paragon NTFS on my Mac OSX Mountain Lion for about 14 months now, and it's been rock solid, fast, and great. I'm planning to upgrade to Mavericks this Tuesday, 10/22, and I'm wondering if my Paragon driver will need to be upgraded too, or will it just continue to work flawlessly?

-- Thanks in advance, Jim

2. bryanzak

bryanzak Registered Member

Did you ever get a reply to this? According the pref pane, my NTFS is up-to-date at version 10.1.580

3. roelo

roelo Registered Member

my version of paragon ntfs 10.2.204

Sometimes the update system doesn't work.

Download the latest version from the paragon site.

I updated to Mavericks. No problems detected with paragon ntfs.

This doesn't mean that there are no problems. They just didn't occur yet :D

4. jimchristensen

jimchristensen Registered Member

Thanks @bryanzak and @roelo for your replies. I took the plunge and installed Mavericks this morning on my rMBP, and my Paragon NTFS driver (ver 10.0.0) seems to be working perfectly. Love the multi-screen support in Mavericks.. that alone is worth the (free!) upgrade to me.

5. prose16343

prose16343 Registered Member

thanks for posting jimchristensen

I asked paragon support and they said that mavericks is not currently supported, but they'll let me know when it is.

Just wondering if i should just go ahead and do it, or wait.

Keep us posted on how yours works, i basically use the ntfs drive for photo and video for imovie and iphoto

6. bryanzak

I'm doing one more time machine backup and then I'll take plunge and try it too.

I love how we all have different versions of 10.x.x - so much for the update checking (my says I'm up-to-date)

7. Paragon_Matt

Paragon_Matt Paragon Moderator

Hey guys just a heads up, we don't receive any pre-release versions from Apple so our development is always behind on these updates, but as far as I am aware the current version of NTFS for Mac is not supported in Maverick, and it will take a few weeks to get that update out, if this changes I will let you know.

8. bryanzak

How could you not have access to the seeds? Since WWDC in June all registered developers have had access to the Mavericks seeds. Are you saying that no one at your company is a registered Apple developer? That's a bit of a concern if true.

So far the only problem I've found (very light testing) is that your kext is not signed so the OS will present a warning about it - but still loads and uses it.

But this is very light testing so far.

9. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

10. Paragon_Matt

11. prose16343

thanks for posting and keeping us up to date Matt! glad to see it was release quickly! Going to try it out tonight, thanks!

Paul

12. prose16343

So i'm a bit disappointed to see that even though i bought the software before to get the latest update i have to pay 14$?

13. rsklemme

rsklemme Registered Member

Hi all

So is the consensus from @bryanzak, @jimchristensen etc that the latest v10.x versions work OK??

I agree with the others, what new substantial functionality is available in v11 over v10 - other than "support for Mavericks"?

Am reluctant to spend another ~$16USD for the upgrade for which is essentially a dot point release..

It is a bit disappointing that the cost of this tool is a large percentage or greater than the cost of the OS itself (not talking about Mavericks here which obviously is free, but Lion and Mountain Lion).

Appears the Paragon pricing model is still in line when Mac OS X used to cost ~$100 which should be reviewed I think..

Thanks for your help :)

Cheers

Richard

14. Paragon_Matt

I would not recommend using the v10.x on the Mavericks operating system, the software has not been tested and could potentially cause corruption of data due to issues with an untested and unsupported operating system. Paragon NTFS for Mac is backward compatible, we have no ability to make software forward compatible and if you already have the v10.x purchased you can log into your Paragon Software account and receive upgrade pricing which reduce the purchase price.

15. develox

develox Registered Member

Hello Paragon_Matt,

could you please share when Paragon plans to complete testing of version 10.x on Mavericks ?

I agree with previous posts, these days is unacceptable to be forced to pay again for an upgrade when the full OS is given for free. This is kind of getting hold of current loyal Paragon users against the free upgrade of the OS with the fear that current drives gets corrupted unless we pay the ransom for the upgrade. I will rather convert my drive to HFS or FAT32, but then be left very disappointed with Paragon and its brand.

Look forward to hear about this.
    Peppe

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  16. rsklemme

rsklemme Registered Member

Hi

Agree with @develox here too.. Maybe exFAT is an option for you too now esp since R/W support been included since SL 10.6.5, but problematic as non-PC devices e.g. TVs, Media Players etc may not have caught up as yet..

Also wondering an the robustness of the product especially since on Oct 24 @Paragon_Matt stated they had no plans for several weeks and (surprisingly) had no access to pre-release versions of Mavericks, yet the very next day the v11 product was suddenly released.

How exhaustive and regression testing was able to be achieved in the 1-2 days after Mavericks was made available appears to be unrealistic - which is what I asked what other significant changes have been made from 10.2.204.

My reluctance to upgrade is also due to being impacted in the past - NTFS 7.0.3 and prior corrupted NTFS headers on several drives which was fixed only when I (and others) opened up a support request and fixed in 7.0.4.

The upgrade pricing is also not that attractive either (only $6 off full product and is PER MACHINE) - seriously looking at Tuxera now - given I use 2-3 different Macs.

So what I believe a fair and correct price model would be $10 (or less) upgrade for up to n-2 versions and have it for all personal (home) use Macs.

Regards

Richard

17. develox

Right Richard, that's exactly my problem: I use the same drive on a DVico Media Player too, and it of course contains files larger than 4GB (so FAT32 not an option too) …

Peppe

18. develox

Hi Paragon_Matt,

any news ?

Peppe

19. Paragon_Matt

Hello Peppe,

Thank you for your interest in Paragon NTFS for Mac.

Paragon is not testing previous versions of NTFS for Mac on the Mavericks release, as a new version was required to properly support this release.

While Apple has recently chosen to provide their customers with OS X updates free of charge, Paragon is required to invest time and resources to maintain the product, in order to ensure NTFS for Mac is compatible with any and all changes introduced to the operating system. Unfortunately, Apple chose to release their free update not long after a previous paid update, requiring Paragon to pass along additional upgrade costs to our users earlier than typically expected.

Do use caution if you must evaluate alternate solutions, as they commonly lack the same ease of use, performance, and reliability associated with NTFS for Mac.

Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences the recent NTFS for Mac update may have introduced.

20. develox

Hi Matt,

thanks for your answer. In my opinion, this business model doesn't work anymore, the world has moved ahead of repeatedly paying for an utility software. If I had clear from the beginning that my purchase was only the beginning of an expense series for it, I'd not have started it at all.

I will give exFat a try or, if unsatisfied, consolidate mac-only data on an HFS external drive and windows-only data on another NTFS one. Either way, unfortunately, Paragon has lost a customer, leaving a bad taste.

Peppe

21. capillotraktor

capillotraktor Registered Member

Hi all,

I just installed NTFS for Mac on a late 2013 macbook pro 13" with Mavericks on it.
    I'm using it to read a 1 Tb Hitachi external HD, formatted in NTFS.
    My problem is, i can't seem to use the mac osx search on it, it just displays an empty window when i try to, doesn't return any result.
    Any idea ? Is that normal ? I'm currently using the demo version (11).

Thanks in advance

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.