Paragon Hot Processing functionality

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by qazqaz, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qazqaz

qazqaz Registered Member

Hi all,

First post here.

After some tests i have concluded that the M$ VSS service cannot backup a hidden NTFS volume. My hope then stands to the Paragon Hot Processing (PHP) functionality. However, the problem is that when i select this option and try to do a backup i can see a text flashing by saying something about that it installs something and then resets the machine without any further notice. No BSOD or anything, just a plain reset. The machine then continues to boot normally.

My suspicion is that there is some problem with starting the PHP operation and it either crashes badly or just forces the reset to be able to start an offline backup instead.

Does anyone know how one can verify that the PHP service or whatever it is works properly?

I'm using version 10 the latest revision on Windows 7 64-bit. I don't have what you would say a 'normal' setup. I have several separate partitions with W7 installations, XP installations and Linux and everything is booted by grub.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

VSS should be able to snapshot a hidden ntfs volume, so should Hot processing - there may be something about your system that is preventing them.

In what way is the volume hidden?

3. qazqaz

qazqaz Registered Member

This is the error i got from the VSS service when i just tried to use M$:s own backup (just to rule Paragon out of the equation) :

'Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine IVssAsrWriterBackup::GetAsrMetadata. hr = 0x80042416, System partition (partition marked "active") is hidden or contains an unrecognized file system. Backup does not support this configuration.'

It is hidden by grub using the 'hide' command. Paragon Partition Manager detects it as a hidden local disk with NTFS, ie partition id is '0x17 Hidden NTFS'. There are no errors on it or anything like that.

I have tested to run a backup of the actively running system partition with no problem and that one is in constant use.

Hm, very strange indeed.

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

May be to do with the way with the way grub has hidden it.

Normally , the win7 100mb is hidden ( it just doesn't have a drive letter ) . Vss has no trouble with that.

5. qazqaz

qazqaz Registered Member

Does it show up in the Disk Managment? And if so what does it say about it? I can't check myself as i don't have it. My partitions hidden by grub comes up as 'Healthy (Primary Partition)' but with missing drive letter.

And if VSS now have a problem with it i think PHP should be able to cope but it doesn't seem to work at all. I mean, with VSS and no technology switching the backup finally fails after three tries. When using PHP and no technology switching i get the quick flashing message that it installs some recovery software and then a reset. Sometimes i also get a message from Windows saying that a component of the backup program have failed. But that is not always. That is why i'm trying to at least see if the PHP functionality works as it should.

UPDATE: I just tried to backup the active running system partition with PHP and it works just fine. It must be the way the other partition is hidden then that throws both VSS and PHP. And if i select to do a raw partition copy the machine resets. I don't quite understand why it can't take a raw copy of a non-active partition. I mean, it shouldn't be in use by Windows anyway so hot processing shouldn't be necessary at all.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.