Paragon HDM 2010 Server Ver 10.0.11.12215

Discussion in 'Other Paragon Disk Utilities' started by DLRogers, Oct 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLRogers

DLRogers Registered Member

I have a Seagate external 2TB expansion drive on my companies XP pro box at home. The drive failed the other day. When I ran HDM 2010 against it found a couple of things and need help recovering critical data if anyone can help me out of the dog house at work!

I can see the drive in device manager but not in disk manager. I ran a scan on the drive and now a drive letter is assigned and there are 3 partitions being reported. On the front of the drive is a 1863 GB partition being reported as a primary unallocated fat16 partition with no free space. Next is a 184.9 GB partition being reported only as fat16 with no free space. At the end of the drive is another 1863 GB partition being reported as an invalid partition with no free space and an unknown file system type, HDM says this:

"Invalid partition
    Invalid partition
    File system type
    Unknown
    Paragon Hard Disk Manager™ has discovered problems with this partition. It must have been caused by an incorrect geometry. In order to resolve the issue, please collect LOG-files and send them to our Support Team."

Now, if you add this all up, it comes to alot more than 2TB, it's almost double that! I looked at the last partition in the sector view and found this:

on line one or 0x0000000000 to the far right it says exactly as I type it:

"eR.NTFS

The next line is 0x0000000010, it has a bunch of unreadable characters on it as do all the lines until you get to line:

0x0000000180: eoA..A disk read
    0x0000000190: error occurred.
    0x00000001A0: ..NTLDR is missi
    0x00000001B0: ng...NTLDR is co
    0x00000001C0: mpressed...Press
    0x00000001D0: Ctrl+Alt+Del to
    0x00000001E0: restart
    0x00000001F0: .........E..U"

after those lines of readable info, there is nothing, an infinate number of blank lines of zeros.

I then went into the event log and found 10 event 55 at the precise time the drive failed, here is the event:

"Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Ntfs
    Event Category: Disk
    Event ID: 55
    Date: 10/29/2010
    Time: 4:26:22 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: DESKTOP
    Description:
    The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume G:."

So, if you click on the link from within the event it takes you to an extremely long and very boring explanation of the chkdsk utility which I won't run on this drive, after the first 7.5 hour experience, no thanks!

As kind of a last resort I connect the drive to another desktop I have at home as well, same OS, same configuration, it's just all SCSI (because it's mine) except the this failing IDE drive, anyway, same results, no difference at all.

I being a SCSI kind of guy (LOL) for the last 35+ years, I have never bought an IDE drive in my life and I didn't buy this one. My company bought it for me so I could transport large quantities of data back and forth between work and home. Needless to say, my experience with IDE is very limited and I would greatly appreciate help on this one!

Dave Rogers

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

DLRogers,

Could you please attach LOG files to your reply?
    Find "PWLOG.TXT", "STUBACT.LOG", "BioNTlog.TXT" & "fdisk.log" in C:\Program Files\Paragon Software\[Program Name]\Program\

What did you do with external drive before crash? Any specific operations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.